The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A little confused... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

A little confused...

Hey all I have been working on several albums all of which at this point i'm very happy with an they are ready to be mastered. I know mastering is a huge topic so. Well here is my question. I know that it would be a great idea to send them off and have them proffesionally done but, i'm going to do it myself. I have several tools at my disposal and am definitely not knew to working with them. What i am doing right now is pulling up each session in PT HD 9. Running the whole track threw my dbx 162sl, then through a 7 band eq. Then into Waveburner and using the multi-band compressor in the software itself. I have levels all over the place though... Do I use a limiter? With the tools that I have listed what would be the proper signal chain to get a decent overall final mix?

PT HD 9
Waveburner
dbx 162sl Stereo Compressor

Thanks,
Surf Street Studios
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You use what you need. If you don't know what you need, no one can really tell you. Listen to the mix, do what the mix is asking you to do.

And if the mix is asking you to use maul-the-band compression, maybe revisit it and find out why...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

From what you're saying and how you're saying it I think you should have a ME do it and save you a lot of time and trouble
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
On one side the experience of 'rolling your own' would doubtless be a good learning one for you, although it could take some time and the result may not necessarily be what you want. On the other, the cost of going to a reputable ME for a more assured result driven by you might be less than you'd think.

It's been said before, but when my toilet breaks I hire a plumber: the fact that some of the tools I own may be similar to his doesn't mean I have his skills.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

If you want to DIY, research and reading can definitely help. Then spend time experimenting. I stay away from a "default" approach of using the same settings or sometimes gear on each song. Listen to what each song needs.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search