The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug in EQ's for mastering Equalizer Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Plug in EQ's for mastering

Hey there,

I'd love to hear your opinions regarding mastering EQ plugins, is there anything that reaches the Weiss EQ quality ?

I'm interested in the Flux, Sonoris, Algorithmics and Fabfilter (which i already have) have you got the chance to A/B them ?

Best
Tan
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Tan Tan,
i never listen to Weiss EQ but I used a lot of plugs.
Algorithmix Red is probably the best sounding EQ i tried but it's very expensive.
Fab Filter Pro-Q is a good EQ, I like the IIR mode but not much the linear phase mode, great GUI!
Flux has a very nice GUI but i don't like the sound.
Never listen to Sonoris linear phase EQ but I'm very interested to know some opinions about it.
Other great EQ are PSP Neon and PSP Neon HR, but i prefer the non HR version especially for the hi pass filter (probably the best HPF with Algorithmix Red).
Another great EQ and with cheap price is Aixcoustic Creations Electri-Q, it has double extended precision calculation 80 bit! (like Algorithmix), a lot of different algorithms and filters from scientific to analog simulation to linear phase and there is a free version too named Posihfopit. A little complicated to use but sounds great! Here the link
Best regards
Leo
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Hey there,

I'd love to hear your opinions regarding mastering EQ plugins, is there anything that reaches the Weiss EQ quality ?

I'm interested in the Flux, Sonoris, Algorithmics and Fabfilter (which i already have) have you got the chance to A/B them ?

Best
Tan
I can't compare it to Weiss, since I never used a Weiss EQ, but what I do know, is that Brainworx Digital V2 is always in my "mastering" chain. I love it!

Disclaimer: I'm not a mastering engineer, it's just that I often have to "master" a demo track I made to give the client an idea how it could sound when it is mastered.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
PSP Neon HR here gets used on every project that needs a bit of tonal reshaping.

It has a couple of modes and they do sound different, especially on HPF in my experience. You can surgically remove with minimal artefacts after a good play around with the different modes. I run it mostly in High Res/Linear Phase. But also FAT mode can sound good. I find the high shelf sounds a bit weird in Linear Phase mode though, you get a bit of a softening which can sometimes sound ok, but often smears the transients and can make the mix lose a bit of umph.

hope that helps!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Plpareq, Sonoris meq & Algorithmix are all really good. I'm currently using Plpar for most lp stuff. Neon HR & DDMF are also great, but don't serve quite as well with tight q's in the low end, and as Joe mentioned, can be a bit smeary at times.
Old 4th January 2011
I would very much like to own the Algorithmix Red EQ, but the Waves Mastering linear EQ meets my needs so I am sticking with it.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

If you mean digital EQ you have Ozone which is cehap, otherwise waves linear is ok. Red seems to be more popular
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
DMG eQuality gets the most use here lately, very flexible.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
Same boat here.
Old 4th January 2011
Thank you for your answers

I didn't try Plpareq & Algorithmix since it's VST only and i do a lot of work in PT so I'm looking for an EQ that can work on both platforms..

I already have FabFiltet which i use for tight Q's and like it a lot, but I'm looking for the best sounding plugin EQ and I'm not too sure the Pro-Q is the one, the Fab Pro-L however has destroyed any other limiter I've compared it with..

The things i like about the Sonoris MEQ are the M\S\MS\L\R\LR options for each band, the option to use linear phase or minimum phase for each channel, the sound is fantastic and the HPF is very flexible and it's what I'm expecting from a plugin EQ, i have GML/Sontec, API and some other cool analog outboard for a more specific sound character.

I've tried the Flux and i don't think it sounds as good as the Sonoris, I'll download the Equality and PSP demos and compare it with the others. too bad the Plpareq & Algorithmix doesn't have RTAS versions, i hope I'm not missing anything really good here because of that.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Algorithmix RED, Abbey Road 'Mastering Pack' (for a 'fruitier' EQ) and TC Electronics Dynamic EQ are my staples.

Sometimes the DDMF LP10 gets a look in, particularly for MinPhase mode - and occasionally the EQ on the TC Electronics MD3 too.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Algorithmix Red for very bad mixes,
Algorithmix Orange (LP) for better mixes,
Weiss is amazing, best sound in my opinion. But so much expensive.
Any other digital stuff.

Algo is cheap close to Weiss.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you for your answers

i hope I'm not missing anything really good here because of that.
I have to repeat Electric-Q www.aixcoustic.com
It's cheap in price but it's a top sounding EQ. Just try it..
Best regards
Leo
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
Same here - great eq in every way. I used to use PSP Neon and/or LP10, but going back to them now they sound small and grainy.

thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
How do the first generation Weiss hardware digital EQs sound? (the lower sample-rate one is it?) I've seen them go for under a grand which seems very cheap. I often think to reccomend these to friends in the industry starting out, but has it been surpassed by plugs?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
How do the first generation Weiss hardware digital EQs sound? (the lower sample-rate one is it?) I've seen them go for under a grand which seems very cheap. I often think to reccomend these to friends in the industry starting out, but has it been surpassed by plugs?

I personally beleive the Plpar, Red & Sonoris meq are superior to the Weiss, and on par with the current generation.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I use the 112dB Redline EQ, does an excellent job in mastering.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Plug in EQ's for mastering

Another vote for equality!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrangel View Post
Algorithmix Red for very bad mixes,
Algorithmix Orange (LP) for better mixes
This is interesting. May I ask why you feel this way?

I noticed that the Orange was a lot 'harder' sounding than the Red when demoing them, but I plumped for the Red. It sounds a bit more comfortable to me, particularly on larger gain moves.
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
This is interesting. May I ask why you feel this way?

I noticed that the Orange was a lot 'harder' sounding than the Red when demoing them, but I plumped for the Red. It sounds a bit more comfortable to me, particularly on larger gain moves.
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
This its not a universal truth. There are cases and cases.
My case is the seek of a better movement most of the time.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrangel View Post
My case is the seek of a better movement most of the time.
I'm not sure I understand from this why you think that the Orange is for better mixes than the Red?
I trust you made the right decision for your needs, just wondered if you had some specifics to say about that. But never mind.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

The Angeltone, especially the Sontec filters. Too bad they are not available right now. Hopefully they will finish natively recoding them someday, and sell them again. In the meantime I'm just fine in the quirky Pluggo runtime version.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
I'm not sure I understand from this why you think that the Orange is for better mixes than the Red?
I trust you made the right decision for your needs, just wondered if you had some specifics to say about that. But never mind.
What i know is what its on Algo website that Orange is for complex mixes with lots of instruments.
But i use to forget this advices and use my ears together with my needs.
Half of my setup is a standard one.
Most of the time i do that. Its all about the way i work.
No scientific explanations until now, sorry.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Nut

T-Racks Pultec EQ
Abbey Roads Mastering Pack
SPL Passive EQ
Softube Focusing EQ
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
Old 9th January 2011
I've ended up buying Fabfilter mastering bundle and Sonoris mastering EQ.

The Sonoris is the best EQ plugin I've ever heard. i also love its simple and straight forward interface, i don't like plugins that looks like analog hardware, the Sonoris is so simple that you can see exactly what you are doing, i can't say enough good things about this one, from what I've heard until now it's as goos as it gets.

I've used the Fabfilter which is also great on the stems since it's very fast, intuitive and very good sounding, not as good sounding as the Sonoris but with way better CPU performance then the Sonoris.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Same here - great eq in every way. I used to use PSP Neon and/or LP10, but going back to them now they sound small and grainy.

thumbsup
Hmmn scared to demo it as I don't have the spare cash to purchase.. is it really THAT good?
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Demo it and find out :P
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Having used the PSP stuff for years and years now, I recommend turning off LP on Neon in order to get steep notches in the low end. Better yet, the venerable MasterQ does an excellent job for notching.

I prefer the min-phase over LP most of the time as the transient smear bugs me.

-ashley
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Demo it and find out :P
macc has good taste in software.heh
for me doing almost everyting ITB Equality is one of the best
if not the best choice you can have.Very flexible.
It can sound super clean or it can have an analog vibe

recommended
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:
I've ended up buying Fabfilter mastering bundle and Sonoris mastering EQ.

The Sonoris is the best EQ plugin I've ever heard. i also love its simple and straight forward interface, i don't like plugins that looks like analog hardware, the Sonoris is so simple that you can see exactly what you are doing, i can't say enough good things about this one, from what I've heard until now it's as goos as it gets.

I've used the Fabfilter which is also great on the stems since it's very fast, intuitive and very good sounding, not as good sounding as the Sonoris but with way better CPU performance then the Sonoris.
I absolutely agree. Some of the others mentioned didn't quite stack up in my opinion in terms of overall tone. And the flexibility is as good as it gets. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't get much love around here, especially considering the price...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search