The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug in EQ's for mastering Equalizer Plugins
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
You will find the API 550b and the newer 5500 used a lot in mastering. The 5500 is very close to 550b but with the range control selection. I use the 5500 almost everyday, the lows and low mids are great and it has it's own vibe going on. I would consider it a great second eq, but would not want it to be my only eq.

Pultecs pop up from time to time in the odd mastering rig, but may not be as flexible as many of the other eqs you see a lot in mastering studios. I don't use one in mastering, but from my experience using them in recording studios, they can be amazing when they work but are not for everything. If you are looking at pultecs, maybe have a look at the Massive Passive.

Edit: oops just realized that the thread is looking at plug in eqs and not hardware. The API 550b plug in is cool in mixing but I haven't used it in mastering and I have never felt the need to use a pultec style plugin in the mastering chain. Sorry of the confusion.
So u don't find that the 2dB boost/cut increments on the 5500 are too much? That's the only thing that would scare me away from this EQ, not the sound of it. I would think that this is the reason u say it's a good 2nd EQ.

Last edited by Filthrill; 24th July 2012 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
So u don't find that the 2dB boost/cut increments on the 5500 are too much? That's the only thing that would scare me away from this EQ, not the sound of it. I would think that this is the reason u say it's a good 2nd EQ.
The 5500 has a range selector that reduces the gain of the steps to either half or a quarter of their normal gain Setting. So thus means you can do half db steps, which is where I usually use it.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
The 5500 has a range selector that reduces the gain of the steps to either half or a quarter of their normal gain Setting. So thus means you can do half db steps, which is where I usually use it.
I was not aware of that. That would explain it's usefulness. I should into getting one since already use an API 2500 in mastering I think they'll pair up well.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

I like the EQuality, but my favorite is probably UAD Massive Passive.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Part of the beauty & musicality of the API, as with the hardware 550m (which I assume also applies to the software 5500?) is that it's proportional Q, so at half dB steps it's very nicely broad.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Just to mention another plugin I haven't seen mentioned in the thread over the last couple pages: the Abbey Road 12412. I think it's really flexible and a fun EQ.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Just to mention another plugin I haven't seen mentioned in the thread over the last couple pages: the Abbey Road 12412. I think it's really flexible and a fun EQ.
I see that it's stepped in 1dB increments. Is that not too much for mastering most stuff?
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see that it's stepped in 1dB increments. Is that not too much for mastering most stuff?
Well, that depends on the source, of course, but in my experience it's not too much.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
It is "stepped" at 1dB (actually it snaps to those values) but it also has 1/3rd dB increments too. 1/3rd dB seems to be the finest it will go - and really that's more than adequate.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
It is "stepped" at 1dB (actually it snaps to those values) but it also has 1/3rd dB increments too. 1/3rd dB seems to be the finest it will go - and really that's more than adequate.
U talking about the plugin? I was looking at in on Vintageking.com & didn't see the 1/3rd dB increments. Am I just missing something. How is this achieved cuz even the desciption doesn't mention that?

Last edited by Filthrill; 26th July 2012 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
+ thread title "Plug in EQ's for mastering"

I can certainly see the opportunity for confusion here. Curse the ambiguity of the written word!
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

i use Fab-Filter Pro-Q and Waves Linear Phase,,,they're my go to and haven't had a complaint yet.
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakslasha View Post
i use Fab-Filter Pro-Q and Waves Linear Phase,,,they're my go to and haven't had a complaint yet.
I like Waves Linear Phaser too but isn't the latency insane?
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

Of course i meant Waves Linear Phase not Phaser. That would just be ridiculous..

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Gearslutz App
Old 29th July 2012
Here for the gear

Ive used the Nugen Seq1 and 2 but they are finicky wrapped if I need to use them in PT. the Fabfilter stuff works well and the spectrum analyzer works great, but be careful when doing low cuts (hpf), make sure to use the higher latency settings, without it tends to crap out the super lows. My all time favorite is the Eoisis AirEQ made by Fabrice (slate digital) but it is soooo unstable in updated DAWs. hasnt been updated in yrs. He said they were going to be working on it/updating it but that was 9months ago... Looks like I'm going to have to check out the Sonoris if the AIR keeps shutting down my rig randomly
Old 24th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I like Waves Linear Phaser too but isn't the latency insane?
yeah it is but I've learnt to trust my ears and not depend on the metering.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I like Waves Linear Phase too but isn't the latency insane?
Latency really doesn't come in to play all that much for mastering where you're usually just dealing with a stereo file.
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

voxengo gliss EQ (extremely versatile) & dmg equality and sometimes also bx_digital_v2 for the ITB surgical/preparation work.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHo View Post
Ive used the Nugen Seq1 and 2 but they are finicky wrapped if I need to use them in PT. the Fabfilter stuff works well and the spectrum analyzer works great, but be careful when doing low cuts (hpf), make sure to use the higher latency settings, without it tends to crap out the super lows. My all time favorite is the Eoisis AirEQ made by Fabrice (slate digital) but it is soooo unstable in updated DAWs. hasnt been updated in yrs. He said they were going to be working on it/updating it but that was 9months ago... Looks like I'm going to have to check out the Sonoris if the AIR keeps shutting down my rig randomly
Air eq is getting a major revision. There is a lengthy thread in the NAMM section. As I recall, previous owners were going to get a free upgrade... Likewise he (FG) explains why there had grown a lack of support and why he was able to reboot now.

Hopefully good news!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search