The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug in EQ's for mastering Equalizer Plugins
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Dunno why, but the DDMF's sounded somehow better to me than EQuality, especlally in the high end.
You're nuts! heh

Quote:
Another thing I found somehow "not for me" was EQuality's LP filter. I can't explain but whatever dB/oct I was selecting,
the LP was always too "obvious" for me...
This I agree with though... Tend to flick in the SC function on MLA-3 instead thumbsup
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
You're nuts! heh
hmmm...am I so wrong? Well, to be fair I mainly noticed that in EQuality's linear phase mode vs. LP10 (to me smoother)
but hey...I'm not mastering for a living and can be wrong
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another thing I found somehow "not for me" was EQuality's LP filter. I can't explain but whatever dB/oct I was selecting,
the LP was always too "obvious" for me...
Yeah, honestly I'm a little disappointed the HP filter is so obvious when trying to roll off some garbage low end. It would be nice if it was much more surgical down there. Even the PSP Squad EQ's have a much more usable HP filter. I hope they improve that somehow as I'm really enjoying all the other features.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear
Tested ssl x-eq today and wow! I'm one of beta-testers for native version and will definitly pick that up as seems they let beta-tester pick one for free it has loads of filter options, mght take some time for me to fully understand it...

I also like melda production eq's, as someone mentioned mfreeformanalogeq is a concept in its own and for linear phase I use mfreeform eq. Not the best LP eq but I simply like working with it.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
hmmm...am I so wrong? Well, to be fair I mainly noticed that in EQuality's linear phase mode vs. LP10 (to me smoother)
I was being over the top, I certainly meant no offense!

I dunno... for me I could never bear to boost above 2k with LP10, but with EQuality in AP (or occasionally LP) I am happy to *shrug*

Still prefer to boost in analogue though
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerk View Post
Yeah, honestly I'm a little disappointed the LP filter is so obvious when trying to roll off some garbage. It would be nice if it was much more surgical down there. Even the PSP Squad EQ's have a much more usable LP filter. I hope they improve that somehow as I'm really enjoying all the other features.
You mean the HPF I assume..?
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
You mean the HPF I assume..?
Early morning pre-coffee brain fart. Is there a filter for that?
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

no offense taken macc
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

Equality is a real good one eq but for me in analog mode it tends to
smooth out transients especially on drumkick and bass.
In these days i'm demoing the IIEQPro.A really excellent plugin!
Even better than LP10 for me.It can do wonders on some kind
of mixes that are not so clean.Worth a try for sure!
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

tough debate.....

after checking out EQuality, and Sonaris Mastering EQ (in minimum phase mode)......my ears keep coming back to the Flux Epure.

The Flux just seems so darn transparent, sometimes i have to check to make sure the plugin is even on/enabled! The others mentioned i can definatly hear it working......its almost "too apparent" for me.

With the Flux,.....its like...."is this thing even on????"
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
This is interesting. May I ask why you feel this way?
In memory of teachers annotating homework with a big fat red marker? ;-)

Alistair
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
SONNOX EQ and SSL X-EQ for me, though i am shifting to an API 5500 HW unit for tone shaping, and use VST-EQ's solely for filtering
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
In memory of teachers annotating homework with a big fat red marker? ;-)

Alistair
Haha! Well I did teach music tech (mainly to kids) for a couple of years so perhaps that side of me came out.
It was a question of genuine interest none-the-less and not some patronising doublespeak.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

MDW HD 5EQ here for rolls and resonances cuts.
MD3 Eq in M/S when need it...
Massive Passive mastering HW for boost and color

i am thinking to get one unit from Weiss, i have the DS1 compressor and it is amazing!!!
Old 23rd January 2011
Shy
Lives for gear

PEQ Blue, it's the best EQ I've ever used (and that includes high-end analog EQs). I can get anything I want from it. The parallel lc eq, based on Massenburg 8200, is great and very useful, as is the parallel ff-fb and the various other eq types.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
PEQ Blue, it's the best EQ I've ever used (and that includes high-end analog EQs). I can get anything I want from it. The parallel lc eq, based on Massenburg 8200, is great and very useful, as is the parallel ff-fb and the various other eq types.

+1, i am on mac... hope they release for apple anytime... heh
Old 23rd January 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

You should demo the Sonoris eqs. They are top notch.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss View Post
+1, i am on mac... hope they release for apple anytime... heh
I read here from other members saying it shares same algo with ssl x-eq, I'm not sure if its true but from what I read on explanation it does seem possible.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
The Angeltone, especially the Sontec filters. Too bad they are not available right now. Hopefully they will finish natively recoding them someday, and sell them again. In the meantime I'm just fine in the quirky Pluggo runtime version.
I also really like my old AngelTone in Sontec (aka Sonny) mode. It's a swiss army knife of EQs as there are a few other different flavors to it. Too bad it has been updated in a long time...maybe TriTone will do it one day.

Also I'm really really getting into my SPL PassEQ plugin, great solid low end and sweet high end.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I read here from other members saying it shares same algo with ssl x-eq, I'm not sure if its true but from what I read on explanation it does seem possible.
They are similar, and the x-eq was definitely developed by Algorithmix, but I tested them side by side and they didn't sound the same with identical settings.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Besides the many great options already mentioned here, I would recommend checking out the Sonic Studio SonicEQ.

Good and solid programming that does what it says on the tin.

Oh, and I love (LOVE) my Weiss EQ1-LP. Worth every penny.

Cheers,
Thor
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

PLPar EQ and SPL Passeq for me, mates..
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Wow this is just sheer madness. Just too many too many too many choices. It's really nauseating. I'd bet that a lot of the opinions here are based on the GUI of a given plug-in. More so how purdy they look. I wonder if some people on here are really using their ears when evaluating. Perfect example, I know the Voxengo Gliss has the dynamic EQ feature I'm sure it sound fantastic but it's a damn good-looking plug-in too & lots of people would want to use it just because of that. Even Ozone 4 & 5 have an EQ that sounds damn good so really everything is usable if need be. I need some aspirin now. This is directed to nobody in particular. Just venting cuz too many cool & possible plugs. Sheeshhh.
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthrill View Post
I'd bet that a lot of the opinions here are based on the GUI of a given plug-in. More so how purdy they look. I wonder if some people on here are really using their ears when evaluating.

That's one of the biggest problems with plug-in based processing: you can't close your eyes and turn the knobs until it sounds right. You HAVE to keep your eyes on the screen to know if you're actually adjusting the parameter you want to adjust!

Tactile controllers can help, but until they have ones that physically reconfigure to match the "tool" you're using or all the plug-in designers standardize on GUI parameter placement (not likely) then there will always be a disconnect between the parameter, your hands, and the end result.

Yea hardware!
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'd bet that a lot of the opinions here are based on the GUI of a given plug-in. More so how purdy they look.
Well, except for Peq-Blue. Horrendous interface but somehow just keep coming back to it for .5 - 2 db shelves! I go for the sonoris when i'm in need of "pretty".
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd bet that a lot of the opinions here are based on the GUI of a given plug-in. More so how purdy they look. I wonder if some people on here are really using their ears when evaluating.
I map my plug-ins to my iPad using TouchOSC so I can simply use my fingers to tweak parameters while not looking at any GUI or screen. Makes a big improvement in decision making.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

dmg equality, voxengo gliss & plpar.
i only use digital eq's for cutting, analog eq's are nearly everytime better for boosting.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

at the moment I am using a combo of Fabfilter Pro-Q and PSP NobleQ which I am loving - however I haven't tried any of the other suggestions on here so unable to compare
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Hey real quick, has anyone actually used PSP Vintage Warmer 2 in mastering? I know it's a great plugin but can anyone actually say they use it in mastering & is it part of your regular chain or just on an as-needed basis?
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Tactile controllers can help, but until they have ones that physically reconfigure to match the "tool" you're using <i>or</i> all the plug-in designers standardize on GUI parameter placement (not likely) then there will always be a disconnect between the parameter, your hands, and the end result.

Pro Tools + ICON does exactly that.

Alistair

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search