The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plug in EQ's for mastering Equalizer Plugins
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Updated to the latest version of Gliss a while back, forgot how nice it is.

BX V2 as well.

G
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

DMG Equality gets my vote as well. I also use Voxengo Gliss EQ quite a lot. It's amazing what a bit of dynamic EQ can do to problematic material.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I also like Voxengo's GlissEQ, but I find it more useful as a track EQ, where it's always what I reach for first.

RedlineEQ can do fine things sculpting the sound because the volume compensation instantly gives an idea about it's tone control. The hi-quality saturation and dynamic control makes it even more versatile. Unfortunately it has high latency and loads annoyingly slow.

For mastering I like combos of Nebula programs which usually makes it possible to achieve a sweeter tone in the top octave than usual plugs which I find very important. Often combined with a surgical cut's from more flexible eq's [like Gliss].

I also like Melda's EQ's for their sound. I'm sure I would use them much more, if they were flexible like GlissEQ and DMG Equality. I've read on KVR, that a more flexible EQ is on it's way from Melda, I hope so!

And don't forget to try out Sir Elliot's EQ's, they're free and can do wonders on many sources! [e.g. Elliot's 18 bandEQ]

::
Mads
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For me it's the Softube Passive-Active Pack!

Between the Passive and Active you can eq everything. And the sound is great! They sound like real gear... Demo it!
Old 13th January 2011
Various options for me, as I found a long time ago that no one tool works on all tracks. So, in no particular order.....
i). UAD Manley Massive Passive - this thing is a revelation!
ii}. EQuality - so flexible, and superb for clinical stuff as well as broad strokes.
iii). UAD Precision Equalizer - whilst it's no MMP, it shouldn't be either. Sounds completely different and a valuable addition.
iv). UAD Neve 1081 - yet another different sounding unit.

Having just said this there are timeswhen none of those seem to work, and things like Voxengo's HarmoniEQ or GlissEQ will do nicely.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
I also use Voxengo Gliss EQ quite a lot. It's amazing what a bit of dynamic EQ can do to problematic material.
I just started demoing this. Really cool! I think I am going to have to pick this one up to have around for problematic mixes.
Old 13th January 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
DMG Equality gets my vote as well. I also use Voxengo Gliss EQ quite a lot. It's amazing what a bit of dynamic EQ can do to problematic material.

Cheers!
bManic
Interesting. Why do you favor Equality over Pro-Q? I like Equality a lot, the concept is brilliant, but I find it sounding somehow cold (or metallic?) if that makes sense.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Interesting. Why do you favor Equality over Pro-Q? I like Equality a lot, the concept is brilliant, but I find it sounding somehow cold (or metallic?) if that makes sense.
That was exactly the same thing I found when I had the demo installed, and since I already had too many plug eq's, I had no reason to try to get convinced, so I removed it from my plugin folder.

Mads
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
That was exactly the same thing I found when I had the demo installed, and since I already had too many plug eq's, I had no reason to try to get convinced, so I removed it from my plugin folder.

Mads
Similar experience here. In all fairness i only demoed it briefly. I was and still am looking for a good digital EQ that can do clean hi shelving for material that sounds slightly dark but has been bashed pretty hard i.e. material where my tube EQ doesn't work. I thought the EQuality was slightly sibilant and cold sounding in the "colorless" modes. Even the Waves LP sounded better. Maybe it was the material... need to give it another chance i think.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Doe View Post
Similar experience here. In all fairness i only demoed it briefly. I was and still am looking for a good digital EQ that can do clean hi shelving for material that sounds slightly dark but has been bashed pretty hard i.e. material where my tube EQ doesn't work. I thought the EQuality was slightly sibilant and cold sounding in the "colorless" modes. Even the Waves LP sounded better. Maybe it was the material... need to give it another chance i think.
For high shelves I find Melda's MFreeformAnalogEq very good. It's 79 Euro, but they sometimes do very good discounts, you could try and hear what you think.
But I have to say it's nowhere near as flexible as EQuality

Mads
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use EQuality in the Analogue Phase mode most of the time, sometimes in Linear Phase mode... it sounds great to me, I wouldn't describe it as metallic at all. Smooth and classy would be the words, probably. It might be the only plugin I am happy to boost high end with, bar some of the UAD stuff.

YMMV, FWIW and all that.
Old 14th January 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I use EQuality in the Analogue Phase mode most of the time, sometimes in Linear Phase mode... it sounds great to me, I wouldn't describe it as metallic at all. Smooth and classy would be the words, probably. It might be the only plugin I am happy to boost high end with, bar some of the UAD stuff.

YMMV, FWIW and all that.
I'm not sure metallic is the right word, but as others observed it has a bit of harshness, I don't know how to describe it. I demoed the Algorithmix Blue at the same time I demoed Equality. That one had a smoother sound, while Equality had a more solid, though somehow colder sound (analog phase included). I find Pro-Q also has some kind of smoothness over Equality. Sounds more neutral to me.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I don't favour it over Pro-Q (which I use as my main Mid/Side tool) but I do like the default curves and "sound" (or lack thereof) of Equality. Especially the shelves are extremely flexible in how you can shape them. I also like the extremely narrow Q you can set it to.. this comes in handy quite often actually.

I also tend to get carried away with Pro-Q because you can basically add unlimited amount of bands (well, you can't, but in mastering 24 bands is an insane amount) so I've ended up using Equality to limit my options on purpose. I'm trying to learn to be more efficient in mastering, wasting less time with nuances and tiny tweaks that only a fraction of my clients can hear and appreciate.. sometimes that extra borderline OCD type tweaking can do a lot of harm when considering the overall picture. I'm trying to get away from this and have noticed that tools like Pro-Q can be counter productive due to my personality.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 14th January 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't favour it over Pro-Q (which I use as my main Mid/Side tool) but I do like the default curves and "sound" (or lack thereof) of Equality. Especially the shelves are extremely flexible in how you can shape them. I also like the extremely narrow Q you can set it to.. this comes in handy quite often actually.

I also tend to get carried away with Pro-Q because you can basically add unlimited amount of bands (well, you can't, but in mastering 24 bands is an insane amount) so I've ended up using Equality to limit my options on purpose. I'm trying to learn to be more efficient in mastering, wasting less time with nuances and tiny tweaks that only a fraction of my clients can hear and appreciate.. sometimes that extra borderline OCD type tweaking can do a lot of harm when considering the overall picture. I'm trying to get away from this and have noticed that tools like Pro-Q can be counter productive due to my personality.

Cheers!
bManic
Haha, thanks, indeed the shelves are so flexible. I'd love Equality to have a Sonoris Mastering Eq mode
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Plug in EQ's for mastering

Personally I think PRO-Q sounds rather plasticy compared to Equality...I really dig the interface (although Equality is no slouch in that department either), a simple double click to add bands is genius, but Equality just sounds much less obvious to me.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Personally I think PRO-Q sounds rather plasticy compared to Equality...I really dig the interface (although Equality is no slouch in that department either), a simple double click to add bands is genius, but Equality just sounds much less obvious to me.
I got them both to null to around -70dB. Not exactly breaking news here but all digital minimum phase EQ's are essentially the same sonically once you match filter shapes. The exception being EQ's that add saturation (PSP sQuad for example) because they simply add saturation as well as equalize.

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
I got them both to null to around -70dB. Not exactly breaking news here but all digital minimum phase EQ's are essentially the same sonically once you match filter shapes.
Isn't that true of any minimum phase EQ, be it digital or analogue? If you match the filter curve shape and take saturation out of the equation, they should do essentially the same thing? Legitimate question...I knew this about digital PEQ, but I'm not completely clued up on the real-world intricacies of analogue EQ.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I got them both to null to around -70dB. Not exactly breaking news here but all digital minimum phase EQ's are essentially the same sonically once you match filter shapes. The exception being EQ's that add saturation (PSP sQuad for example) because they simply add saturation as well as equalize.

1313 » Blog Archive » Digital EQ Fact & Myth.
I don't mean to get off topic too far here, but "nulling" down to 70db can sometimes still be quite audible. Doesn't make two eqs the same ime tutt
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

The weiss eq is an old (by now) digital algorithm enclosed in an box and sold for insane money.
Good digital eqs of today are of course better by miles.

And yes, equality (analog mode preferably) is GREAT for mastering as well. Plus you have linear or minimum phase if needed.
The brainworx digital is also great and usefull.
Old 15th January 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:

1313 » Blog Archive » Digital EQ Fact & Myth.
I understand your point. However, to me Equality and Pro-Q sound significantly different. Even the different phase modes in Equality sound different (linear phase excluded).

The -70 db null I believe is actually showing something. The finest details could be at that level. Why do we record at 24 bit, do we actually hear what's below -96 db?
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

It is entirely plausible that complete nulling (below 16 bit noise floor) is impossible. You might need up to 24 EQ bands in Pro-Q to get the EXACT shape of one band in Equality and this of course means you WILL hear a "difference".

However, that difference is NOT due to any sound quality issues, lower or higher fidelity. It simply is the different shape of the EQ curve itself. Do not underestimate the variance in EQ curve shapes, they make a big difference (especially shelves that can be quite complex). Oversampling can also affect the "sound" of an EQ, depending on how the oversampling has been implemented.

Christian Budde made a special version of his plugin analyzer where you can load up two VST plugins side by side, tweak them and compare their frequency responses to within a fraction of a dB. Using this tool it is probably possible to get a very close null. I'm fairly sure that using this tool and posting an AB test here would fool the majority of people here.

This doesn't change the fact that while you are tweaking the EQ, to get your results, the two plugins behave and thus "sound" completely different.

The "all digital biquad EQ designs can be nulled" IS kind of true but most people just get their panties in a knot from this statement and refuse to actually understand WHY it is true(ish) and the mechanics of this nulling. It has nothing to do with one being better than the other. It does however help educate people and keep some developers from ripping off gullible engineers with the "I just finished RBJ's filter cookbook! Now I can make an EQ!! Wohoo! Lets charge a bazillion dollars for it!" scheme. heh

The final piece of the puzzle is down to placebo and how we "hear" things depending on the color and functionality of the GUI.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 18th January 2011
So - nobody else using the UAD Manley Massive Passive yet then?
I am very curious to know how it compares to the hardware versions (both types) - I have read the SOS review (very good indeed) but would welcome input from real world ME's on this.
Personally, I think it sounds seriously good.....and for just $300 (gets you both versions) you cannot go wrong.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
So - nobody else using the UAD Manley Massive Passive yet then?
I am very curious to know how it compares to the hardware versions (both types) - I have read the SOS review (very good indeed) but would welcome input from real world ME's on this.
Personally, I think it sounds seriously good.....and for just $300 (gets you both versions) you cannot go wrong.
For me, the Massive Passive plugin is a game changer. It's amazing how it behaves and how it can change a sound from within. What I'm trying to say, is that most of the time when I do some cuts and boosts with a "normal" EQ, you can hear somehow that the sound has been changed, but with the Massive Passive plugin, the result sounds like it has not been changed, but like it sounded like that from the beginning.

It doesn't work on anything, I know that.. but most of the time.. it's that little magic I simply can't get with any other EQ plugin.. and believe me, I tried often and a lot.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrangel View Post
Algorithmix Red for very bad mixes,
Algorithmix Orange (LP) for better mixes,
And of course Algorithmix Green for mixes that are ready to go on arrival.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm really liking the Sonoris Mastering EQ.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Addict

AbbeyRoad Mastering EQ

My new favorite...
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk View Post
And of course Algorithmix Green for mixes that are ready to go on arrival.
I like a touch of Green when all the mastering is finished.
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
For me, the Massive Passive plugin is a game changer. It's amazing how it behaves and how it can change a sound from within. What I'm trying to say, is that most of the time when I do some cuts and boosts with a "normal" EQ, you can hear somehow that the sound has been changed, but with the Massive Passive plugin, the result sounds like it has not been changed, but like it sounded like that from the beginning.

It doesn't work on anything, I know that.. but most of the time.. it's that little magic I simply can't get with any other EQ plugin.. and believe me, I tried often and a lot.
That pretty much sums it up, really.
Been using so many - DDMF are also very under rated - but nothing else comes close to the MMP - try using this after the Neve 33609 on 2-buss.....
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

Probably already posted, but if hasn't been: LinMB from Waves.

Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

- DDMF LP10 (IF I use Linear Phase...very rare) or
- DDMF IIEQPro.

Dunno why, but the DDMF's sounded somehow better to me than EQuality, especlally in the high end.
Another thing I found somehow "not for me" was EQuality's LP filter. I can't explain but whatever dB/oct I was selecting,
the LP was always too "obvious" for me...
(M/S + L/R functions in one GUI made me go back more to DDMF's aswell)

Still a very nice EQ, with the best GUI and usability!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search