The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How often is mastering really about another room/speakers/DA from the mixer's?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

My second newbie mastering question of the evening. If anyone would oblige my uneducated question I would be in your debt.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member

It depends. Some seasoned engineers with the ability to stay objectionable to their own work can sometimes pull off mixing and mastering in the same room, but you don't see that happeneing to often on commercial releases or a lot in general. Any acoustical anomily that was present at the mix stage will still be present at the mastering stage.

Having an unbiased opinion and fresh set of ears in a dedicated mastering room is sometimes a small price to pay if the intended goal is to sell, shop, or get airplay...so in that sense I would say it is often about involving separation between mix eng/room and master eng/room.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post

It depends. Some seasoned engineers with the ability to stay objectionable to their own work can sometimes pull off mixing and mastering in the same room, but you don't see that happeneing to often on commercial releases or a lot in general. Any acoustical anomily that was present at the mix stage will still be present at the mastering stage.

Having an unbiased opinion and fresh set of ears in a dedicated mastering room is sometimes a small price to pay if the intended goal is to sell, shop, or get airplay...so in that sense I would say it is often about involving separation between mix eng/room and master eng/room.
+1

I'd also like to add that there's more to mastering than a guy sonically "proof-reading" your mixes and making them louder. I refer my clients to mastering engineers who I feel I can trust to deliver an error-free, reproducible master part that they can have replicated thousands of times without concern of technical flaws.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Guys thanks a lot I value your expertise on this stuff.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post

Some seasoned engineers with the ability to stay objectionable to their own work can sometimes pull off mixing and mastering in the same room,
Objectionable?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search