The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What will the CD duplicators need from me? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

What will the CD duplicators need from me?

I just received a digital copy of my master back from the mastering engineer, and the band will most likely ask me to send these files to the cd duplicator (not sure who they're going with yet).

What will the dupe people need from me other than just the 16/44.1 files of the songs? Any info I can add even if it's just as a courtesy?

thanks,
b
Old 30th December 2010
If the disc is a PMCD, then a "PQ sheet" (track names, pause times, start/stop ID) was likely sent along with it. This, or a copy of it, should be sent along with the PMCD.

If it is a CD-Rom with wav files or DDP, etc, then it is something that should be discussed with the plant and possibly your mastering engineer.

Don't be afraid to call your ME for advice. I once had a return client ask me to create a CD from a DDP so she could get it replicated. It turned out that was the format she got from her ME (more common in Europe than in the US). I told her she shouldn't have to pay me to do that and that she should ask her ME to provide her with whatever format she needed for her plant of choice. Simple phone call (or email if phone isn't possible) clears up a lot.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For replication or duplication, a red book pre-master cd (clear labeling - contact info) and a pq sheet should do it.

The ME can most likely email the pq sheet to you if the songs were sequenced by them.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice. will i have to send a physical cd, or is it ok to send them just the .wav files?

b
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Every factory I've dealt with in years is perfectly happy with an audio CD, including CD-TEXT if applicable. WAV files on a data CDR is more hassle for them, it seems, and there's a higher chance of track-ordering errors (especially if the disc is over 70 mins and so has to be supplied on more than one CDR).
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsander View Post
thanks for the advice. will i have to send a physical cd, or is it ok to send them just the .wav files?

b
Send a physical CD that was burned to red book specs. how could the duplicator know the spacings if you just send digital wave files through the email?
You need to have your CD burned and your tracks need to be spaced correctly and burned to red book specs, as this is the copy that they will be duplicating from

You need to start some communication with the person doing your duplication
Cj
Old 31st December 2010

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsander View Post

b
Don't send just wav files unless you don't care about track spacing, ID placement, optional CD-Text, or any optional PQ codes (for example ISRC & UPC). And if you did want to send wavs, they should not be ripped from a CD. That's a opening can of worms that you just can't be sure of what you'll get. When you require them, get wavs directly from the mastering house.

Send either the physical disc provided by the mastering house including PQ log, or have the mastering studio directly upload a DDP image to the plant. If you choose DDP, the mastering studio should make a CD from that image for you to approve.

It's possible that the mastering house already has a DDP image that your disc was made from, so it may be a simple matter to have the image uploaded. If not, they'll need to make one (if you choose the upload route), and to be safe, you should to have another reference CD made from it to approve.

And a technicality: red book compatible masters these days are no longer true PMCDs with rare exception, even though the term sometimes can be thrown around pretty loosely. PMCD is actually a distinct format made by a Sonic Solutions workstation on a Sony CD recorder that includes the PQ data file on a non-audio part of the disc.

And while we're being super-detail-oriented on the mastering trivia, a playable audio CD-R is a red book compatible disc, not simply a red book disc, because the recordable media is technically orange book. Sure, for practical purposes it's basically indistinguishable from a red book disc once the TOC is written, but it technically is a red-book-compatible orange-book CD-R.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

thanks again for the info.

nice when a thread here can just be the helpful sharing of knowledge.

b
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If it's duplication and not replication, ask them if their service guarantees that the TOC data from your redbook CD will make it onto the copies. I've had a few clients in the past do duplication only to see that CD-TEXT info does not make it onto the dups.

One time I got involved and spoke to the duplicator who said that they make a "100% transfer" of the source disc, but then talking to them further revealed that they would take a redbook, pop it into a PC, rip the tracks using some software player (they wouldn't say what) and then they would create "disc-at-once" dups using the data. This means that whatever software they were using wouldn't pull the TOC data.

Also, I would make sure they don't use those "silver CD-Rs" which look almost silver like replicated discs, the dye used for those things suck and I've seen a few fail on some of my CD players (I'd recommend a service that uses Taiyo's).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search