The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to deal with big hip-hop kicks? Enhancer Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
How to deal with big hip-hop kicks?

The problem is that they usually tend to mask all other elements of the mix,but should i fix this in mixing stage???
I cant figure out how do deal with this-if i start to process kick in the mix,it allways looses something,but if i leave it how i want-they mask ewerything with low end...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Are we talking about a sampled kick? If so, maybe look for a sample that fits the mix better. If it's live you should look at the sound you got from tracking.
"Fix it in the mix" is a joke from way back. It was a jab at leaving things too late in the process. If you're having trouble with a sound in your mix, it's more often a problematic source rather than a mix problem.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but leave nothing but final level to the mastering stage. Then your mastering engineer will have the most to work with and surprise you by making your mixes even better.

GR
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambeats View Post
The problem is that they usually tend to mask all other elements of the mix,but should i fix this in mixing stage???
Deal with it in the song arrangement stage. Fix it as early as possible. Pick a new kick sample. Perform/program the other instrument parts with an ear on the kick. If something gets masked, perform/program that one note with more oomph.

Keep an ear out the entire time and construct a song that doesn't have masking problems in the first place. If you know the kick is huge, go into the tone selection and performance of the melodic parts knowing that on the downbeats that room isn't going to be available near the low end. Choose harsher buzzier leads and perform them accordingly.

Ditto for the vocals. Make the pronunciation, emphasis, and style fit the huge kick already in place.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
If something gets masked, perform/program that one note with more oomph.
Or, preferably, less.

Quote:
Keep an ear out the entire time and construct a song that doesn't have masking problems in the first place.
Exactly.
Old 30th December 2010
ORC
Gear Addict

I master material from an indie hip hop label based in St. Louis. Often times the kick and highs are over the top. I really dislike multi-band compression, but hip hop and other electronica are the only instances where i will use one in conjunction with my eq's and other compressors. It ain't the perfect solution, but this does do the trick quite often.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

How to deal with big hip-hop kicks?

I don't mean to be the antagonist of any debate here but... I would definately work on the low-mid/mid range eq. That's the major source of kick mud and when I hear "too much kick" that's where I start. I mean automatically ditching a sample when a little eq could go a long way. If the source is bad you should have discovered that long ago, if you kept it for a reason then play with it.
Old 30th December 2010
Thank You for answers!
Yes-production,and arrangement-i was thinking that,in programmed music allmost ewerything must be done in this stage-at wery beginning.

But allso i am wondering-how big is role of multiband processing (or only bass compression) in nowdays hip hop masters!?
I see from answers,that it plays some role..
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORC View Post
I master material from an indie hip hop label based in St. Louis. Often times the kick and highs are over the top.

Is sort of a "Metallica scoop" pretty common in hip hop mixes? Basically a smiley face with no mids?
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Is sort of a "Metallica scoop" pretty common in hip hop mixes? Basically a smiley face with no mids?
Not necessary, depends on genre, it may be balanced in mids, but i doubt it will be scooped.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

RBASS
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search