The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dithering in Sequoia ?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Dithering in Sequoia ?

I'm not totally sure so I would like confirmation about this.

I master in Sequoia and use aux busses for my plugins
The last plugin I use for dither (izotope or waves) to 16 bits
then signal is routed on the main outs (no fx tehre) and I choose export to wave 16 bits and no dither as I apply it with the last plugin

Is this correct or should I insert this last plugin on the main bus for example ?

I just don't want to have 2 dithering operations or no dithering at all by mistake. I know every soft reacts differently and those info are really not found in any documentation
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Tackling one thing at a time -- Aux busses...?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes

original source is on track 1 a copy of it on track 2

Track 2 goes to Bus 1 where I insert a first range of plugins out to Bus 2 with some more plugins and to main outs

this is a basic setup I use because if I want to AB source and master I don't have then to bypass master plugins it's just mute track 2
Then I have came to a range of plugins I may use or not and more often than not I don't use that many but it's like having a usual setup I have thus mysetup the way I like to and I am used to and can work faster this way

So do you have the answer to my question now ? I dither on the very last insert with either izotope or waves and the reason why I do this instead of using sequoia dither is that I can hear live what difference each dither makes

Still I am not sure what the progam does on its own. I think that is ok this way but if someone very experienced with Sequoia knows the answer ...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I use Samplitude 11, but I would imagine the dithering part is the same (I could be wrong). In Samplitude dithering is on by default, letting you choose how aggressive you would like to go with your dithering. I think that would be POW-3. You may want to set this option to off to avoid dithering from the internal dither and then any plugin with dithering you put in the chain. The IDR button on most of my Wave plugins are set to on by default as noted by the illuminated button. If you leave it off ( I just leave mine off in Samplitude), then you can dither at the end of the chain with the plugin of your choice.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey Alex,

yes dithering is the same I had samplitude before.
What ypu are saying is exactly what I think is right but I would like confirmation by a seasonned Sequoia user.

Concerning the dither on waves plugin other than in the end According to what I read I think you should disable it and only dither once at the end of the chain ... once again confirmation by a seasonned ME would be nice
Old 30th December 2010
I let Sequoia do the dithering, I don't use anything else.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

It works as long as the dither plug is last. No other plugs/faders or anything after it, so adjust the plug in on the channel so plug in is post fader.

I too think letting Sequoia/Samplitude do the dithering is the best, since it does Smart dithering, and the dither options with the program are great.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Yes, if you are dithering with a plug-in such as Ozone or Waves in the last plug-in slot, you would choose "no dither" on the export to wav. / 16-bit function.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Ok Thank you

Concerning remarks about sequoia dithering problem is not that it is great or not but just that you can't hear what it is doing ... it is not real time so basically you choose a processing based on no listening whereas I find that depending on the material different dithering option are better than others.

Just for info when you let Sequoia do the dithering which one do you choose and why ?

This way I could do some tests on my own and check differences ... Thank you
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

In Sequoia you can choose "force 16bit output" So you can hear the exact output. SEE PIC

I use POW-r 2, (Pic is from my laptop) I am a mixer/mastering guy, mostly pop. But its a personnel choice, I know many pros and they all use different ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Dithering in Sequoia ?-123010-1.png  
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Great info Tim thank you very much I 'll check it out
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

The exact use of dithering inside the math of an audio application is a secret that die with its developer. Hypothetically each computation needs its dithering to avoid truncation.
In Sequoia - Samplitude dithering affects the playback too: the dithering options works in conjunction with device resolution/driver comunication options in system audio.
Best regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search