The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend decent mastering tools for Cubase Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Recommend decent mastering tools for Cubase

As titiled, Im after a decent EQ and Compressor VST to run with Cubase SX3. Can anyone recommend some decent software? Thanks.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sonnox EQ is pretty good IMO.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Any sort of budget you're trying to stick with?

Anything in particular you're looking for?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

In my experience, if you are trying to master your music, I think it's better to hire professional mastering guy. If you want to do something by yourself for some reason, one stop solution like T Racks might help you.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah, don't use Cubase to master. Rather get Wavelab. Or hire a pro. Whatever blows your hair back.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
Yeah, don't use Cubase to master. Rather get Wavelab.
May I ask why you feel this way?
Old 30th December 2010
^^ The "sonic part" can be done on Cubase, Logic, Protools, Sonar, Reaper...but the "disc part" can't be done on Cubase (burning the disc, pq codes, isrc, cd-text, ddp, whatever).

As I'm very confortable editing/automating stuff with Cubase, I'd totally do the "sonics" with it.

Do whatever suits you - "sonic part" on Cubase, "disc part" somewhere else.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Recommend decent mastering tools for Cubase

I would feel very comfortable about getting excellent results with the Sonnox EQ followed by the Sonnox Limiter.

There is myriad other great choices as well though of course!

You will need another program for the final steps of assembling a CD though.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Sonnox eq is great when used at 88.2 or higher. Sonnox Limiter also. Brainworx Bx Digital is a great mastering eq. Very clean with nice m/s features. Wavelab is good.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The Oxford limiter is good for masters, but I think that the EQ is much better suited to mixing than mastering. It sounds great for shaping individual instruments but is (for want of better terminology) too 'bunched-up and cloudy' sounding for general use on complete mixes.

You have not mentioned budgets so I will for now assume that they are tight!

I think that the DDMF LP10 is a total no-brainer for a cost-effective buy very capable bread-and-butter mastering EQ. Each band can be switched between phase types and as far as I'm concerned it is not rivalled even by plugins costing many, many times the (unbelievably low) price. I A/Bd the LP10 against the Sonnox "as a mastering EQ" and I thought there was literally no competition. LP10 also comes with a stereo version and a 'true stereo' version which can be run in L / R or M / S modes very easily. Before I bought the Algorithmix I was using this constantly with happy customers. I still do use it from time to time.
It really is so good for the price that you can't afford not to try it, even if you have a reasonable budget.

I haven't used it loads, but the Weldroid Courvoisier seems very capable as a digital mastering compressor, and it is free. It's not so immediately intuitive as the interface takes a bit of getting used to, but I've had some great results with it, especially for subtle mid-level squeezing. The Oxford Dynamics is also pretty good but if you are looking primarily for mastering comps then it won't hurt to check the Weldroid out first!

Team that up with the Voxengo Elephant and you can have yourself a pretty tight and perfectly capable limiter, compression and EQ combo very, very cheaply.

If you need high quality sample-rate conversion then I would use the free version of Voxengo R8Brain. It's loads better than the one that is built into Cubase.

For disc layouts and burning, I use CD Architect by Sony. It's pretty cheap and I have found it very reliable.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Get yourself 2nd hand UAD-1 cards if you're on a budget (or a UAD-2 Quad if not) and spend some cash on their plugs (mastering series EQ, Limiter, Maximizer and multiband if you feel adventurous) Also the Neve, Pultec, Helios etc plugs are top notch
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
^^ The "sonic part" can be done on Cubase, Logic, Protools, Sonar, Reaper...but the "disc part" can't be done on Cubase (burning the disc, pq codes, isrc, cd-text, ddp, whatever).

As I'm very confortable editing/automating stuff with Cubase, I'd totally do the "sonics" with it.

Do whatever suits you - "sonic part" on Cubase, "disc part" somewhere else.
Also I have yet to figure out how to map midi to plugins in Wavelab, which is doable in Cubase, so I am considering shifting the audio processing work to Cubase, and doing the final trimming and CD creation in WaveLab.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
Yeah, don't use Cubase to master. Rather get Wavelab. Or hire a pro. Whatever blows your hair back.

Cheers
Cubase can let you master(work) a certain way that wavelab can't, even the new version of wavelab still cant do this.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search