The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PMC XB2 sub Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
PMC XB2 sub

I am looking at a pair of dual subs for our Lipinski L707 5.1

I can get a pair of passive PMC XB2 for a very good price, but a trial is sort of out of the question.

I would use them as stands for the Left and Right speakers
(lift them one or two inches up and I have 36-37 inches height which is perfect)

Do you guys have any opinions and thoughts on these particular subs?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have a pair and can endorse them completely!

GR
Old 29th December 2010
Greg, what is the internal crossover set to on this sub?

What would be the pros and cons running my lipinskis with a high crossover say 110 or higher rather than the 56hz range?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
Greg, what is the internal crossover set to on this sub?

What would be the pros and cons running my lipinskis with a high crossover say 110 or higher rather than the 56hz range?
380 Hz. That's the crossover frequency of the LF driver in the main speaker. They run in parallel as if the XBD were just adding another driver to the main box. That's why you'll need a different crossover to work with any other mains. Definitely not an argument against using them. Just something to be aware of.

GR
Old 31st December 2010
Basically I am now down to a few options that will all cost me about the same.

PMC XB2 pair
Aerial Acoustics SW-12 pair
Fathom F112 pair
Velodyne DD12 pair

The aerials are so far looking most interesting, the crossover is very flexible
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hard to go wrong. Give me the name of the guy selling the PMCs if you pass
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Check Genelec 7071A. I have been more than happy with that (one unit).
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
my partner at SC Mastering (Bob Macc) is using a pair of Rythmik F12G's with IB2s, and couldnt be happier (unless you put him in front of some fine ale and a hot curry....)
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Velodyne Rant!

Quote:
Basically I am now down to a few options that will all cost me about the same.

PMC XB2 pair
Aerial Acoustics SW-12 pair
Fathom F112 pair
Velodyne DD12 pair

The aerials are so far looking most interesting, the crossover is very flexible
I'd stay away from Velodynes. I have a pair of D-10s and they've been nothing but trouble and expense.

I put up a post outlining my problems on PSW a few months ago and the feedback was 50/50. The guys that have had no trouble endorsed them but fully half of the posts had serious complaints also! IMO, that's a very poor endorsement rate.

I also posted on a webboard that has a Velodyne thread and a rep posted publically that he would PM me but never did. So I PM-ed him and he never responded! That's customer service?

BTW, the reason I bought them is that they sound absolutely great and the digital onboard controls allowed a perfect marriage with my Lipinsky 505's.

BUT, between the two subs, I am spending close to $500. a year (averaged out over approx. 4 years) and there is no other unit in my studio costing anywhere close to that in repairs/maintenance!!

My tech guy and I have discussed selling and replacing them but it's a daunting thought to go thru the audition process, buying and then tuning them to the mains. Especially when everything sounds just right as it is!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I am looking at a pair of dual subs for our Lipinski L707 5.1

I would use them as stands for the Left and Right speakers
(lift them one or two inches up and I have 36-37 inches height which is perfect)
I suggest not limiting yourself to this setup. When we built our new mastering room and it came time to install the dual subs, I started by using them as stands for the mains. The height was perfect and they sounded fine.

However, when my room designer came to do the final room/speaker tuning he suggested also trying inside and outside positions on the premise that you never know which is better until you hear all the options.

So him and my tech guy held the subs in different places while I listened. In my room, placing them on the outside, right next to the mains but lower (same height as if they were used for stands) sounded best.

Obviously your situation could be totally different but do try some other positions.
Old 18th January 2011
Good points Andy!

It was very helpful to have a bouncing board.
We ended up buying a pair of Aerial SW12 subs.

The ultra flexible crossover sealed the deal.

For those looking for PMC, MSShifi in NY have a complete set of mb2 with subs for 10k. (they also have a single Aerial for cheap, but I needed a pair)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search