The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz 2.2 just walked in... Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Buzz 2.2 just walked in...

Happy holidays to me with a Buzz 2.2 mastering version with Palazzo's here along with my blue 315 and soon to be departing Sontec 250c.

First thoughts on the Buzz.....well maybe it needs to warm up and maybe it just took a journey from one coast to another....
getting 60hz bump when any lmf or hmf channels in. both side hmf full knobs scratchy with a weird resonance on channel A.
Noise floor of the buzz and blue are almost identical when all channels out and just the unit in the path.

Comparing the Focusrite to the Buzz-two different beasts. The Buzz different than the low end push of the 315 and the Blue is nowhere sweet like the Buzz in the top end today. The Buzz and the 250c both are very sweet in the top.

Before more reviews and comparisons I am going to try to figure out the Buzz issues and let her warm up more.

Last edited by dietrich10; 29th December 2010 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: chg
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
Before more reviews and comparisons I am going to try to figure out the Buzz issues and let her warm up more.
And warm up it will. you'll be able to fry an egg on that unit.
Ed
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
60Hz bump...sounds like an earth loop?

Maybe try an earthing cable to your rack? Try re seating the boards as well.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah I am posting premature... but had to spread the excitement past my room. Eq overkill in here for day or so.

Will have more time to put the Buzz in a short direct loop on its own power etc.
Never came back from xmas with lacquer backup work...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Used the Buzz for hours tonite on some projects.
Love the layout and how quick it is to use. More time to dig in tomorrow.

Will reseat the innards as well.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm planning on getting one too, let us know if you think the Palazzos are difficuilt to turn (compared to Elmas)
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmeister View Post
I'm planning on getting one too, let us know if you think the Palazzos are difficuilt to turn (compared to Elmas)
IMO not difficult al all.
Ed
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Well, congratulations I hope!

I'm curious to hear how it all works out indeed. Why did you decide not to go with the Elmas by the way? My TG is chock full of them and at 30 years on I'm really glad those were the choice of the EMI techs.

The King
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Palazzos seem great to me. But I do not know the feel of the Elmas(not sure what lives in the 315).

The issues with the noise and scratchiness only things slowing me down with the unit
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
sad to hear that, maybe it's a defective unit? did you try to speak with the developers?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've emailed Buzz and also lots of emails with current owner(its here on trial/loan). Will get it sorted

The 250c does really still sound great next to Buzz. The small Sontec still has 'the sound' and naturalness. 2.2 REQ can do what the sontec was doing for me and as well. Obviously for mastering purposes the 250c almost made me fearful while matching frequency+bandwidths side to side. I was very conservative with it is use other than the shelves, which I stopped using 70% of the time once the BAX arrived.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi Dietrich, the 60Hz in the LF & LMF bands can be picked up through nearby gear/power supply's. There is adequate shielding inside the unit but it's still very sensitive to picking up noise through the LF bands. Talk to Tim Farrant directly he has been amazing with the support he has given me for my unit. If there is any faults he is quick to respond & gets it sorted.

My unit has a higher noise floor than the Sontec MES-432 but I find the REQ-2.2 is seeing more of the workload than the Sontec these days.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Hi

I plan also to invest in the Req 2.2 next month. You are not the only one having this hum problem. That's really annoying. Please let us know when and how you have solved this.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Spending time moving it around in the room, away from other audio lines and power. shutting off other gear as well..

Here is with saturation 6 on....
Attached Thumbnails
Buzz 2.2 just walked in...-sat.jpg  
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Maybe some Mu metal wrapped around the chassis would help?
stike
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Post lunch troubleshooting....

Off came the top. Reseated all that can be reached without removing things.
Channel A is good to go.
Channel B seems to have something going on with the LMF card.
The Buzz is a complex beast inside. Beautiful construction. I am not going to attempt to swap channel LMF cards to further investigate.

Looks like this unit will head back to NZ or to current owner next monday....

To note: all gear turned off except convertors, computer and buzz. direct signal as well. at least issue seems isolated
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
When I first engaged the LF when in the rack the left channel went out completly. I pulled it out spoke to Tim right away, tapped the relay with a pencil eraser as suggested. I never had the problem again. Tim sent a bag of relays just in case. Great eq Great customer service. when a unit like this travels this far it may not be perfect at first.
By the way my noise floor is about -85db with all bands in.

Ed
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Ed. I emailed Tim this morning and awaiting response for possible similar fixes.

Only issue is shipped off 250c today when thought would have buzz for month or buy it
Old 29th December 2010
t_d
Lives for gear

-80db is not horrible. i had a similar problem with my API, and API said their units are calibrated to -85 or even -75... (i forgot which)... -80, in my opinion, isn't great, but it could be factory calibration.

API had me rotate the power transformer inside my unit, which brought the low freq noise down 5db into a more acceptable range for me.

should find out what the noise floor of the buzz is calibrated to at the factory.

like i said, -80db may be normal.

Quote:
Spending time moving it around in the room, away from other audio lines and power. shutting off other gear as well..

Here is with saturation 6 on....
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Buzz on Hum

I'm sorry you aren't yet thrilled with the Buzz, D. You noticed no buzz coming out of the unit, yes? That's because it nulls all buzz. However, it is known also to generate some hum (as trade-off). You will need to follow this unit with a pair of Hum Bugs, by Rupert Nøise (or the new stereo Hum Dinger, which is matched, but does generate some buzz);

-Laarsø
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok this Buzz about to take a journey back to NZ. Will check it out after its ready for me.
Hard to have concrete opinion about it until I can use it as designed.
Old 5th January 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

guess i won't have time to pop over to check it out!

Quote:
Ok this Buzz about to take a journey back to NZ. Will check it out after its ready for me.
Hard to have concrete opinion about it until I can use it as designed.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Visited the repaired Buzz, now complete with the Elma's.
Was a pleasure to use. Really able to get in there without past issues and use it.

Of course that one is off the market.
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear
So finally How do you like this Req 2.2? Did you keep it, what is special regarding your other eq?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search