The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
where to learn Logic Mixing/Mastering ?
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

where to learn Logic Mixing/Mastering ?

This thread isn't so much about specific mixing mastering tips but more-so where someone can learn to mix and master in logic on their own. Im curious if there are any books/videos/online resources available.

I know from previous threads that most people learn from someone who knows aka working with someone who masters professionally, trail and error, studying music etc. but if there are any resources to get a good start on theory/terminology/and the science behind mastering i would really appreciate you sharing your resources!
Old 28th December 2010
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock View Post
where someone can learn to mix and master in logic on their own. Im curious if there are any books/videos/online resources available.
Lots and lots. Try this: Logic Pro Tutorials ;-)

Seriously, it's a jungle for beginners to sift through all the pretentious crap and find the good bits. Some of the tutorials I've come across look and sound professional - while the actual information is full of errors and myths.

In terms of getting to know the basic interface of Logic Pro I recommend David Nahmani's book on Logic Pro. Visit his forum here: www.logicprohelp.com

For mixing or mastering or any other particular sound engineering field I recommend that you not focus on one DAW platform specifically. 99% is common to all platforms so there's no point in limiting yourself to mixing/mastering in Logic Studio or looking only for material on that platform.

Having Logic Studio is not a bad place to begin, though. There are lots of good plug-ins to get you started and WaveBurner is included in the bundle.

However, I recommend that you focus on one thing at a time and in the right order. It's not imperative to know about mixing in order to do mastering but having more than a little knowledge of general sound engineering is a good idea.

Quote:
I know from previous threads that most people learn from someone who knows aka working with someone who masters professionally, trail and error, studying music etc. but if there are any resources to get a good start on theory/terminology/and the science behind mastering i would really appreciate you sharing your resources!
One very popular and good book is Bob Katz' "Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science". Some parts are a little dogmatic but it's certainly a good place to make yourself familiar with the terminology. I read it on the plane from New York to Copenhagen eight years ago and enjoyed it very much - and I still have my copy today. There's a new edition out, I believe.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Wow thats very helpful thanks!!! ill definitely be checking out Bob Katz book, seems like a good place to start. Hopefully I can find one on amazon or something
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The tutorial is great.. You can also download all of the key commands.. And just play around with it.. That's the biggest part.. Record some crap and see how far you can go without locking your computer up... Then record some more and see if you can get it to play backward.. (you can).. That's the fun part of all of this.. Learning how to use things in your own way
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'm also learning how to mastering and doing it on my own. I'm in the process of reading Bob Katz's book, almost done, and it helps alot. I have had some experience in the recording process but not much and have read alot of audio engineering books.

But what I did find that helps, and it was mentioned in an older post, was re-mastering some older albums. Right now I'm working on Stevie Ray Vaughan's Soul to Soul. It takes me awhile to re-master an old favourite album as I do it somewhat trail and error but not as much as before.

For me the hands on approach works. Every track and/or album I work on I learn just that much more to make the next one go smooth and sound better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search