The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
B&W Models
Old 27th December 2010
  #1
B&W Models

Hey all.

I am looking at possibly getting a pair of N805's for home theater and mix checking and I wanted to ask a few questions.

From what I gather the Matrix series is the lower end of the B&W line or are they just the new model for the Nautilus? How do these compare to the Nautilus series?

Are the Nautilus 805 speakers still being made?

Are there two levels in the Nautilus line? Seems like there is a normal Nautilus and then a Diamond?

Where can I buy a pair? Doesn't seem like there are any dealers on line just some private sellers on AudiogoN and such.

Thanks in advance....
Old 28th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
MASSIVE Master's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Matrix 800 Series* - Pretty old, discontinued some years ago.

Nautilus - Recently discontinued, replaced by Diamond.

Diamond - Current series.



* Not to be confused with the "Matrix" series - Those aren't even worth mentioning, IMO.
Old 28th December 2010
  #3
Thanks John

So "Diamond" is the updated version of the "Nautilus" then. They look a lot alike so I assume they are the same design but they have different components (the diamond tweeter)?

Seems to me the Nautilus 805's are probably the best used deal then because they are "old." They can't be that much different then the new Diamond series I would think, and if the N805's sounded good 5 years ago I doubt they just started sounding bad because a new line came out (regardless what the audio community would believe).

Also, where can I find used 805's on line besides AudiogoN and Ebay?

Thanks again......
Old 28th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
MASSIVE Master's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Nautilus 805's are fine speakers and I'm pretty darn sure Doug from Gravity is selling his in the Classifieds forum.

You're welcome. heh
Old 28th December 2010
  #5
Gear Addict
 
djwaudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I heard the N805s and liked them very much. Big value in speakers there. We have a local B&W dealer here in Portland, have you looked up a dealer in your area? B&W has excellent distribution in the US.
Old 28th December 2010
  #6
Gear Nut
 
blusound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Hey all.

I am looking at possibly getting a pair of N805's for home theater and mix checking and I wanted to ask a few questions.

From what I gather the Matrix series is the lower end of the B&W line or are they just the new model for the Nautilus? How do these compare to the Nautilus series?

Are the Nautilus 805 speakers still being made?

Are there two levels in the Nautilus line? Seems like there is a normal Nautilus and then a Diamond?

Where can I buy a pair? Doesn't seem like there are any dealers on line just some private sellers on AudiogoN and such.

Thanks in advance....
Hi not_so_new,
Matrix is the internal chassis of the loudspeaker http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Discov...es/Matrix.html

Diamond is the new 800 serie with tweeer in diamond material http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Discov..._Tweeters.html

The old 800 serie was the first loudspeaker to use matrix technology and they were named matrix.
The new 800 serie is the first loudspeaker with diamond technology and they were named Diamond but we are always speaking about 800 serie.
Best Regards
Old 28th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

Verified Member
^^

The 800 Series is on its now second generation of the diamond tweeter. The whole new 800 line also has added this to their line.

I had the N800s and they where great speakers but compared to the next generation of Diamond they where not as neutral. The latest generation of Diamond series also has new drivers through out the whole speaker which allows for a newer x-over system. Though I never spent a great deal of time with them I can say to my ears they seem the best to date. More sensitive and just a bit better integration over-all. Perhaps these will be my next speakers.

The main thing now is the full range of the 8xx series is that they all have the diamond tweeter. IMHO its a pretty big step forward in technology.
Old 28th December 2010
  #8
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think there is one dealer here in Pittsburgh that I can go talk to but I don't know much about them and their web site is horrendous.

I looked through the classifieds here but I didn't see any for sale, I guess I will have to look again.

So not to hijack my own thread but I am looking at a mid grade AV receiver for my home theater system. Nothing great but not bottom of the barrel either. How do the 805's stack up with a receiver / power amp in the $1k price range?
Old 28th December 2010
  #9
Oh and what is the difference between the 805N and the 805S? The "s" is for Signature right? Is that the same speaker as the regular 805?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 28th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Strut78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Oh and what is the difference between the 805N and the 805S? The "s" is for Signature right? Is that the same speaker as the regular 805?

Thanks again for all the help.
I was researching these recently and found this review that may be of some help, compares the 805S to the Nautilus 805.

http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med...e_l2_w0_h0.pdf
Old 28th December 2010
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post
I was researching these recently and found this review that may be of some help, compares the *)%S to the Nautilus 805.

http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med...e_l2_w0_h0.pdf
Thanks, that helps for sure. I tried searching around as well but I didn't find anything.

Old 29th December 2010
  #12
Gear Addict
The 805s (signature) are the most recent - just before the current 800 Diamond series came out.

The signature models are a fair bit better than the previous non-signature series models
Old 29th December 2010
  #13
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
So not to hijack my own thread but I am looking at a mid grade AV receiver for my home theater system. Nothing great but not bottom of the barrel either. How do the 805's stack up with a receiver / power amp in the $1k price range?
I don't think 805s are a wise choice unless you have a great high current amp (ie Krell, Levinson, Classe, Simaudio, etc....). I first heard 800 series B&W with decent mid-fi amplification (Rotel, I believe) and it sounded OK, but not great. Unless you can get a great amp (probably over $2k), you might be better off with the more efficient 700 series B&Ws
Old 29th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusound View Post
The new 800 serie is the first loudspeaker with diamond technology and they were named Diamond but we are always speaking about 800 serie.

Clarification:

First in the B&W line of speakers.

Other manufacturers used diamond tweeters before B&W.


/Peter
Old 2nd January 2011
  #15
Gear Nut
 
blusound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Clarification:

First in the B&W line of speakers.

Other manufacturers used diamond tweeters before B&W.


/Peter
You are right!
Old 3rd January 2011
  #16
Gear Head
Hello, I still have today one pair of 802 Matrix series 3 and one pair of 805S.

Still in my study I have both and do not think I can easily get rid of the 802 matrix because in my opinion are still beautiful speaker. and i still use the old 802.

Maybe the 805 are more new but sometimes i prefer the 802 matrix sonud.
Old 5th January 2011
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamika View Post
Hello, I still have today one pair of 802 Matrix series 3 and one pair of 805S.

Still in my study I have both and do not think I can easily get rid of the 802 matrix because in my opinion are still beautiful speaker. and i still use the old 802.

Maybe the 805 are more new but sometimes i prefer the 802 matrix sonud.
Interesting....

So what is it about the Matrix that you like?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mlocascio / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
rabbiat / So much gear, so little time
0
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
SyncSailor / Music Computers
2
d. gauss / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump