The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
QuantumPhonic Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
QuantumPhonic

Does anyone know anything about QuantumPhonic speakers? I know a guy who is trying to sell them in my area, and reading about them on their website is...interesting. Here's one quote:

"Our unique application of the principles of the science of psycho-acoustics has changed how we can hear the defined natural sound of the spoken word and fine music."



Here's a link to a video, which seems to be a clip from a local news story the company was able to make happen in Utah, where I guess they're based:

New sound system helping to reduce echo - ksl.com



In the video you can see some louvres which are installed in the upper area of the speaker cabinet. A spokesman for the company said, "It is an absolute beam of sound... It's an audio cocoon."



Here's a link to their website:

RezCom Systesm: QuantumPhonic: Products



Thanks for any thoughts,

Mychal
Old 27th December 2010
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

I have no experience with these speakers however the diffraction lens was used in many JBL designs way before these guys stuck it on the front of an ESL. Google search for 1970's JBL 4350 studio monitors. You'll notice a very similar diffraction lens configuration.

I wouldn't doubt that a recessed electrostat + lens could create a good directivity, but, if directivity is what you're after, simply get a full range electrostatic *flat* panel. A lot of the ESL makers (Quad, Apogee, Dayton) worked hard to make curved panel for better room dispersion. But there are plenty of flat panels around e.g., Magnapan.

Dynamics are a bit soft with most ESLs but if it's a flat panel config (rather than arc) you'll have little room reflections save the back wall for the first bounce.

At the end of the day, you'll need to hear them to have any idea of studio potential and even then, carry a measurement mic with RTA and plot it. Good speakers can be measured.

My instinct says room treatment is probably better than trying to mix inside a focused but compromised point source.

Again, no idea about these... But I don't by the "hype".. I've seen similar designs before and the claims should be backed up with measurements.

Let me know if you find some measurements. I'd like to see them.
Old 27th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
Let me know if you find some measurements. I'd like to see them.
I just asked the local rep in an email if he has any measurements we can look at, so I'll let you know if he comes up with something.

Here's something else he told me in an email I got this morning:


"There is very little pressure in the sound. Just clarity. Even at 100+ DB you don't feel the speakers. Only our Concert Masters have a bass driver that you can feel the bass, but it is still not like a normal PA main speaker. The other "oddity" was being able to carry on a conversation while everyone else was enjoying the music. Or, the singer walking up to the mic with no feedback. Or, walking in front of the speaker and not having your ears hurt. We have to be careful: Normal DB meters read sound and pressure. Since the pressure is greatly reduced, we have to use DB meters that only have a mic to measure the level."


Does all of that make sense?

By the way, I'm not in the market for new speakers. But since I know this guy, and he is representing this speaker builder making some pretty interesting claims, I thought I would ask here if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks for the help.

Mychal
Old 27th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakly View Post
"There is very little pressure in the sound. Just clarity. Even at 100+ DB you don't feel the speakers. Only our Concert Masters have a bass driver that you can feel the bass, but it is still not like a normal PA main speaker. The other "oddity" was being able to carry on a conversation while everyone else was enjoying the music. Or, the singer walking up to the mic with no feedback. Or, walking in front of the speaker and not having your ears hurt. We have to be careful: Normal DB meters read sound and pressure. Since the pressure is greatly reduced, we have to use DB meters that only have a mic to measure the level."

Does all of that make sense?
None of it does.


DC
Old 27th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
Ha! Ok, thanks Dave.

Mychal
Old 28th December 2010
  #6
Here for the gear
 
RezCom's Avatar
 

I'm a QuantumPhonic Sound Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakly View Post
I just asked the local rep in an email if he has any measurements we can look at, so I'll let you know if he comes up with something.

"There is very little pressure in the sound. Just clarity. Even at 100+ DB you don't feel the speakers. Only our Concert Masters have a bass driver that you can feel the bass, but it is still not like a normal PA main speaker. The other "oddity" was being able to carry on a conversation while everyone else was enjoying the music. Or, the singer walking up to the mic with no feedback. Or, walking in front of the speaker and not having your ears hurt. We have to be careful: Normal DB meters read sound and pressure. Since the pressure is greatly reduced, we have to use DB meters that only have a mic to measure the level."


Does all of that make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
None of it does.DC
Hi All,

Peakly (Mychal) told me he was asking questions about QuantumPhonic Sound on your website and posting some of my observations from our demonstrations. So, I thought I should come on your forum and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Some Background - I own a marketing company that has recently taken on RezCom Systems LLC featuring the QuantumPhonic Sound Delivery System as a client. I am not taking a fee for this service, but do get paid every time a speaker is sold - so I have a vested interest in keeping what we say about QuantumPhonic Sound "real". If I go into marketing hype on this forum, I expect to be called on it.

Note: QuantumPhonic sound speakers were developed by Dr. Roger West of Sound Lab in Utah for the commercial market. RezCom LLC has exclusive marketing rights for QuantumPhonic Sound Delivery speakers.

Also, I am no where close to an audiophile or engineer and wont pretend to know what I'm talking about. However, I am a musician who plays live and I know my way around both good and bad sound systems. If you want numbers, specs, etc. you will have to be very specific and talk slowly until I catch on.

So to DCollins. You are right, this doesn't make sense. I've had these speakers set up at an outdoor gig with 90 DB displayed on my cheapo meter and have had a conversation right in front of them. Some other cases, I have felt compelled to ask people NOT to stand a foot in front of the speaker when I have them up for a concert. In any case, as these get louder, you don't "feel" the pressure against your ears (or chest) like with normal PA's Maybe I'm not using the right terminology here, but it is just an observation from our demonstrations.

Other observations - normal DB meter didn't register the same intensity level as the one we have that is mic-based. I was told it was because there isn't sound pressure and the normal DB meter needs both sound and pressure to measure properly. I took this as gospel and use only the DB meter with the mic.

At our last demo, the singer kept waking up to each of the speakers with no feedback. Now, I have been able to get the classic feedback sound blasting these in my living room, but not at anything live as of yet.

These truly are the clearest speakers I have ever heard. The virtually non-existent echo is amazing. The "sound cocoon" alluded to on the video I have personally experience (although I don't intend to use that terminology in any marketing) and when people hear them, they are amazed.

Now, If you are in Southern California (or Utah) and want a side-by-side demonstration with your current sound system or if you want to help put these though their paces, let me know. I may not know all of the technical aspects of these speakers yet, but all I ask is to let your ears decide.

Joe Davis
Old 28th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezCom View Post

Other observations - normal DB meter didn't register the same intensity level as the one we have that is mic-based. I was told it was because there isn't sound pressure and the normal DB meter needs both sound and pressure to measure properly. I took this as gospel and use only the DB meter with the mic.
The "P" in SPL stands for "pressure," so if your speaker is making sound (aka "pressure") the meter will read it.

It is also possible that your speaker is emitting some of its sound to a parallel-universe and people there are hearing it, but the meter in ours here is not. The multi-verse theory may then be invoked to explain the disparity in readings.

Books by William James or records by the Eels may also help here.........


DC
Old 28th December 2010
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

{cackles}

I wish the mastering forum would laugh unscientific converter comparisons out of the room as quickly as this marketing hyperbole around a new speaker!

Anyhow for those curious about acoustic lens applications here is a JBL document discussing their acoustic lens product line (now obsolete for whatever reason):

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/a...ns_family1.pdf

To the marketing guy, the speaker might be "good sounding", however, I don't think you'll get much mileage with mastering engineers. Multiple fundamental design attributes appear compromised. Without graphs we'll never be able to make any sort of judgement. Clarity in live sound is offered by plenty of other manufacturers and isn't exactly "new". Nor does it mean wholesale accuracy.

Tell the boys to send graphs or carry on with your impressions, I think DC enjoys them.
Old 21st January 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 
RezCom's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
{cackles}

I wish the mastering forum would laugh unscientific converter comparisons out of the room as quickly as this marketing hyperbole around a new speaker!
I wish I knew what that meant - I would probably be laughing right along with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
Anyhow for those curious about acoustic lens applications here is a JBL document discussing their acoustic lens product line (now obsolete for whatever reason):
Don't get stuck on the Lens. Our original speakers did not have them. Our large Concert Master speaker doesn't have them. However, your JBL paper was interesting reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
To the marketing guy, the speaker might be "good sounding", however, I don't think you'll get much mileage with mastering engineers. Multiple fundamental design attributes appear compromised. Without graphs we'll never be able to make any sort of judgement. Clarity in live sound is offered by plenty of other manufacturers and isn't exactly "new". Nor does it mean wholesale accuracy.

Tell the boys to send graphs or carry on with your impressions, I think DC enjoys them.
OK, Marketing guy aside, these really are great sounding speakers for live sound and in a controlled setting, but I understand the need for graphs charts and science in a forum where tea leaves, parallel universes and impressions don't apply.

I was given a "white Paper" and some spec sheets to read, but quite frankly, 30 pages of "...the law of the distribution of frequencies is such that it is the complement of the speaker's frequency response curve when it is under the influence of dipole cancellation....blah blah blah" is just too much to digest.

I asked for something more "average Joe" that I can post, but they want to know specifically what forum members are looking for.

Remember, speak slowly, I'm just the M a r k e t i n g G u y heh
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump