The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone ever heard these / use them for mastering?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Anyone ever heard these / use them for mastering?

I randomly came across these absurdly expensive speakers and wondered if anyone had a chance to hear them in a tuned room. The specs certainly look impressive but hearing is believing.

Steinway Lyngdorf - Model D
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

They look shiny
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
i have heard them , set up in the dealers own "steinway room"

i tend to check out all the stupid and not so stupid high end reference speakers every time there is something "amazing" put out on the market .. just in case

you can safely put these on the dont waste anymore of your time list
Old 26th December 2010
Motown legend

Verified Member
Monitors to me are all about what they make me do and how well they relate to playing the same recordings out in the real world.

Some high-end full range speakers work out well and most don't despite the fact that most sound very impressive. The same is true of "reference monitors" like NS-10s. I don't think anybody really knows why a given speaker works well as a monitor. The popular ones are simply those a whole lot of people have gotten good sounding results from.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There are lots of mastering rooms with hideously expensive monitors.

The Steinway monitors I've heard twice now... that's twice too many!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
well as a monitor. The popular ones are simply those a whole lot of people have gotten good sounding results from.
Yes. And they are rarely really expensive models, either.

DC
Old 26th December 2010
Motown legend

Verified Member
That automagic room eq. certainly looks scary.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I've heard many people extoll the virtues of Glenn Meadow's former room at Masterfonics, a Hidley/Kino****a room I believe.

Any ideas why there aren't more of these rooms around if they're so well designed and executed? Is it just a price thing?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That automagic room eq. certainly looks scary.
Indeed. Auto processing is always bad at best...
I've heard my fair share of amazing speakers for mastering and some really nice home audiophile monitors / amp combinations. I always find it fascinating to hear the uber expensive monitors and compare them to the consistent contenders within mastering and hi-fi.
I am also always suspicious of speakers that cost more than 5k each. Regardless of how much R+D went into them and that they all boast great specs on paper and probably even sound great, it becomes imposible for me to justify the cost over that price point.
Thanks for your input. I knew someone here would have heard them. I would still be interested to hear the half million dollar 7.2 system they offer...silliness.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search