The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please recommend/assess mastering semi-pro software Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Please recommend/assess mastering semi-pro software

I've had a few albums mastered by a respected mastering engineer, and I know the difference; a pro is a must.

However, I have a huge backlog of material that I will be putting online in mp3 format only (stream, download), and need to master it myself for financial reasons. I'm looking for decent results. This will be listened to on computers and ipods, and is more for audience-building and demo purposes, on Reverb Nation and that kind of thing, or as publishing demoes (although the production is full up. not stripped). If I do a full audio (CD) version,I'll get it professionally mastered, believe me. I'm poor, but I'm not stupid.

Assuming I have some idea of what I'm doing, what do you think of this suite of plug ins (most of which I own) for the task?
- UAD Precision EQ
- UAD Massive Passive EQ
- UAD rumored upcoming studer 2 track master tape plug
- UAD Precision Multiband
- UAD Precision Limiter
- Logic Multimeter
- Sonalksis Free G

At the semi pro level, and for my needs, am I missing something? is there something you'd recommend upgrading? Would I be better off just with Isotope? Or Frindle DSM?

Thanks. Please be nice.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
(Hoping this doesn't come out the wrong way)

If you're capable, you're going to do reasonably well with whatever plugs are native the the software you're using.

There's nothing wrong with those plugs - I have many of them myself and barely ever use them - But that's just me.

Ozone, I probably wouldn't recommend. It's not evil on its own, but it's very easy to 'lose control' with it...
Old 24th December 2010
Those plugins are just fine; more than capable of great results. Go for it.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
It's Christmas Eve, I need to finish shopping and I'm posting
on a mastering web board. Does anyone know where I can get help for this?

What you have listed should provide excellent results.
Concentrate on EQ and limiting.

Mastering on the same rig you mixed on is not a good idea though.

Merry Christmas (and Seasons Greetings) to all and to all a good night.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I use Sonalksis FreeG alot, I like the peak meter on it (and it's free).

I'm in a similar boat as you, being semi-pro, and not really having $100k for gear.

I agree 100% with everyone that it's your skill level and experience that will determine the outcome. Just do what sounds good
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks everyone!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

The UAD Manley Massive Passive is one of the sweetest EQ plugs around, get it for sure.

The UAD Studer A800 is already out. It absoutely shines when used for individual tracks (ie put it on as many as you've got the horses for; or at least on submix - busses ). But I'm not sure how geared it is for mastering.

You absolutely need a good limiter. Voxengo Elephant and T-Racks Brick Limiter are good non-UAD alternatives since they are much more versatile.

I have the UAD Multiband compressor, but rarely use it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search