The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cd printers Synthesizers (Others) (HW)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

cd printers

in a recent thread (about $10k worth of gear) someone mentioned a cd printer.. which got me thinking, and i didn't want to hijack that thread... so, ...

when i burn master discs for clients, i either write the catalog number really small on the face with a thin sharpie, or even sometimes leave it blank... not wanting to touch it at all.

i like the idea of a cd printer, though.. just so i can have an official disc face, and make something look nice..

i googled cd printers and there seems to be a lot out there for very little money... are they all pretty much the same? any that people would recommend? and.. do you print the face before or after you burn the audio?

any experiences w/ cd printers would be appreciated..

thanks!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

This is one of those really annoying things I have researched over and over through the years. It always seems like my options are expensive pro ones or domestic printers with a CD drawer but the quality is crap.

From what I've seen, the Dymo DiscPainter seems the best for price/quality. It's a pain to get one over here though heh
Old 23rd December 2010
I'm a fan of the simple monochromatic thermal printers -- just the essential text info and a logo on a silver top disc.

Alternatively, you could simply get a batch of printed CDRs created with your business info on it, then fill in the blanks with pen. Although you'd have less control over the quality of the CDR, I suppose.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
and.. do you print the face before or after you burn the audio?
I print before and let the ink dry for quite a while...sometimes for a whole day.
I always run the test with plextools and so far I had no problems.
I used to leave the cd surface blank but since no CD failed any tests I do not see the reason.

I got a cheap paper printer from EPSON that will also do CDs but I am not the best person to reccomend brands on this subject.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies...

yes, i thought of printing a batch of CD-Rs with my logo, etc.. which could look really nice. my CD manufacturer does a great job and has good prices... would look a lot more pro than an inkjet print ..

i should find out what kind of CD-Rs they can print on.

maybe they'll even let me supply my own.. i've got 400 taiyo yudens here...
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Verified Member
cd printer

If you have a PC get this printer:
EZ Dupe, Inc.

Cheap, easy, doesn't take up much space.

Stephanie
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

I used to have a Microboards GX-1. It duplicated and printed the disc. It was OK. Until it jammed on you in the middle of the night and you woke up 75 discs behind schedule. I got rid of that and got a tower duplicator and 2 HP Photosmart C5280 printers. The printers (which were normally about 150 bucks) were on sale for $99 a piece. I used them for a week and went out and bought a third one. The print quality was very good and the speed was twice as fast as my old epson printer. Plus, it is a scanner/copier as well. With the duplicator spitting out 8 at a time and the 3 printers running simultaneously, I can go much faster that that GX-1 ever dreamed of.
Old 23rd December 2010
I had two of those small thermal printers. They both broke within a month. Now I use an HP printer with a tray. Works great, quality is fine, and ink is easy to find. (I used to have an epson but the ink was ridiculously expensive)
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Look for $150-like HP multifunctional printers (scan/copy/print/print on CS) - with Viviera inks, theyre super in colour and water proof.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
i've got 400 taiyo yudens here...
If you do print on Taiyo yuden printable CDs make sure you use the matt ones. The glossy ones can get messy.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
From what I've seen, the Dymo DiscPainter seems the best for price/quality.
Yep, I've been using one daily for several years, works just great.

Of course "they" get you on the ink.

JT
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
in a recent thread (about $10k worth of gear) someone mentioned a cd printer.. which got me thinking, and i didn't want to hijack that thread... so, ...

when i burn master discs for clients, i either write the catalog number really small on the face with a thin sharpie, or even sometimes leave it blank... not wanting to touch it at all.

i like the idea of a cd printer, though.. just so i can have an official disc face, and make something look nice..

i googled cd printers and there seems to be a lot out there for very little money... are they all pretty much the same? any that people would recommend? and.. do you print the face before or after you burn the audio?

any experiences w/ cd printers would be appreciated..

thanks!
I use an Epson Stylus R280 (R300 is the currently available model). It's cheap and it works. Clients like it. I use TY silver inkjet printable CD-Rs. I print AFTER burning. 'Tried printing before once and the burner spit out the disc.

Old 24th December 2010
I have one of the Epson RX595 printers here for printing on discs. The first thing I bought was a third party continuous ink supply system (CISS) off of ebay. I get about 5000 pages out of a load of ink and the total cost (Including 1 load of ink) was $35 including shipping. It only works on certain models, so be sure to do the research to get the right ink system for your printer.
All the best,
Mark
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Primera Z1 here. Thermal printer. Cool prints, very 1987.
Only minus is that the ribbons are a bitch to find over here.

I have been think about having my cd plant make me a batch of tys, and then just fill in the client info with a sharpie.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've gone through around $3k in CD printers over the last several years including the DiscPainter (which was very quietly discontinued - I've had two of them melt and I wonder if that has anything to do with it), a Primera (also discontinued), some other rather pricey beast that I can't remember off the top of my head --

Long story short - The one I've had the least amount of trouble with, along with the best print quality, is one of the cheapests one I've had (and still have) -- The Epson Artisan 810. The CD tray is built-in (unlike the old Epson 200/220's which were very unreliable) and actually works every time. The software is "eh" but certainly capable.

Side-noting -- It's also WiFi and multi-function (print, scan, fax) holds different sized regular and photo paper in the same drawer, etc.

Throw a TY (JVC) Water Shield in there and you've got printer perfection with a 6-color ink load.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Yep, I've been using one daily for several years, works just great.

Of course "they" get you on the ink.
There should be a way to hack the cartridges. They're usually consumer cartridges with a bar code...nothing a color scanner/printer can't fix.

I've had decent luck with the Primera Bravo 2's and the ink cost can be minimal.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I've gone through around $3k in CD printers over the last several years including the DiscPainter (which was very quietly discontinued - I've had two of them melt and I wonder if that has anything to do with it)
They are awfully fast heh
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I guess lightscribe is not a consideration?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I,ve found lightscribe fades after time.

Light scribe was a huge disappointment for me.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I did my first album with Lightscribe, looked like I'd got a gold disc heh However, the surface is easily scratched and becomes unintelligible after a while. Not gonna repeat that process. Mind you, great for sending to radio stations or giving to friends.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
Look for $150-like HP multifunctional printers
That is what I use, works great.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't like this talk about Lightscribe could someone tell me more? I'm planning to do small-scale disc production for guys who record with me (25, 50 or 100 units) and was planning to do most of it LightScribe...
Old 27th December 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
just keep buying whatever inkjet prints on CDs.

im on my second dymo discpainter, it eats carts.. waiting for it to "melt" too.

show of hands how many ppl still just use sharpie on the outer edge?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
I'll see if I can find a photo of the last one... No idea if those things were UL listed or not, but holy crap, whatta mess... Ink dripping out everywhere, melted plastic - It was awful.

They should have stuck with label printers...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
just keep buying whatever inkjet prints on CDs.

show of hands how many ppl still just use sharpie on the outer edge?
hands up ... but you should see my boxes :-)
Old 27th December 2010
Epson Artisan 810 (family) with built in caddy... far better than the DiscPainter which we have as well... and uses separate ink cartridges so you don't have to replace the whole cartridge when you run out of one colour.

Rail
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I guess lightscribe is not a consideration?
Too many errors on the surface every time I tried it...
Nevertheless they do look nice and they have impressed certain clients (but I handed them only as reference masters).
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use a Primera Signature Z6 here. It's been working reliably for years and doesn't use much ink.

I use the watershield silver ink-jet printable Toyos with NO problems and they look great. Print first, error check 2nd and take the master over to a tower to create refs (Plextor drives in the tower, too).

An interesting note is that the in-house duplicating division of my company uses Primera Bravo Pros and I would NOT recommend them! They are very buggy and we have to send one back to the factory for repair approximately once a year. These machines use robotics to burn, print and deliver up to 100 discs on one run; that is, when they don't stop for some reason in the middle of the night!

The Signature Z6 only prints which is probably why it is so reliable!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using 2 canon IP4600 printers to print on TY cd's. Looks great on white and good on silver as well though the colors are no that bright ofcourse.
I use really cheap cartridges that are about a quarter of the price of the original but they work great for CD's.
Printers are really cheap as well, i think the new version is a ip4700 right now.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've been planning on doing a run of custom printed blank CD-Rs but no disc maker seems to list them. Does anybody have any experience with getting blank CD-Rs with their logo, artwork, etc. in Europe?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search