The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Different level sound
Old 22nd December 2010
  #1
Gear Head
 

Different level sound

Hello..
Ok here is my problem.In cubase5 when i playback my finished and mastered track the level sound is different (more high inside the daw) from the level sound when the track has been exported and is been playing from windows player or mp3player or another programm
Why is that?
Of course All media players are on flat and yes in the export section i use dither.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #2
Gear Addict
 
JakeKalka's Avatar
 

When your playing back the track, are you on the same computer? and same monitors?
Old 22nd December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor21 View Post
Hello..
Ok here is my problem.In cubase5 when i playback my finished and mastered track the level sound is different (more high inside the daw) from the level sound when the track has been exported and is been playing from windows player or mp3player or another programm
Why is that?
Of course All media players are on flat and yes in the export section i use dither.
I don't use Cubase but one of mastering clients who does wrote me the following in response to some pointers he had asked me for in regards to preping his mixes for mastering:

"...When I was mixing down from Cubase I was noticing that what I was hearing the program play (multi track) was different than what I was hearing in the exported files (stereo track). The problem was I was mixing too loud and when I was exporting Cubase was doing some compression of the files which affected my mix in all kinds of ways. The balance between instruments was off and there was something missing in the overall sound.

I went through and lowered each track but kept my master faders the same. This brought the level down so the peaks were at about -3db. And like magic the exported files are sounding exactly as they are supposed to.

Hope that helps.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
^^ Nah. I've used Cubase for years and I don't think that is the issue in this case.

Cubase uses drivers which talk straight to the soundcard (ASIO).

Unless instructed to do otherwise (by programs like Cubase) Windows talks to a software mixer before the output is sent to the soundcard, and the output is lower to accommodate the headroom needed for the software mixer to work. Most non-pro Windows software works in this way, including Windows Media Player.
It is not only quieter, but also compromised due to the additional DSP involved.

I use WINAMP to play music on my PC, and you can get optional ASIO drivers for it. What comes out of them is exactly what comes out of Cubase.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKalka View Post
When your playing back the track, are you on the same computer? and same monitors?
Yes same computer same monitors..It is the sound more dynamic from the wav file.Don't imagine a huge different but there is some..
Old 23rd December 2010
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
^^ Nah. I've used Cubase for years and I don't think that is the issue in this case.

Cubase uses drivers which talk straight to the soundcard (ASIO).

Unless instructed to do otherwise (by programs like Cubase) Windows talks to a software mixer before the output is sent to the soundcard, and the output is lower to accommodate the headroom needed for the software mixer to work. Most non-pro Windows software works in this way, including Windows Media Player.
It is not only quieter, but also compromised due to the additional DSP involved.

I use WINAMP to play music on my PC, and you can get optional ASIO drivers for it. What comes out of them is exactly what comes out of Cubase.
How do you use asio drivers for winamp??Do you have link for drivers?My soundcard is emu1212m
Old 23rd December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
This is the one I use and have had no problems with it.
It's unofficial though so I can't guarantee that it will work with your system.

http://otachan.com/out_asio(dll)_067.7z

You should be able to select your Emu after installing the plugin.

Ctrl+P opens Winamp preferences.
From the 'Plugin' menu on the left, click on 'output'.
Now select the ASIO plugin and click on 'Configure'

Select your Audio Interface here. Make sure Resampling is disabled on this page so that you get an unadulterated stream.

The downside is that now the level control in Winamp has no-effect, but this doesn't bother me since I have a dedicated control for that.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Also did you try just re-importing your exported WAV file to an empty session in Cubase?
Old 23rd December 2010
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
This is the one I use and have had no problems with it.
It's unofficial though so I can't guarantee that it will work with your system.

http://otachan.com/out_asio(dll)_067.7z

You should be able to select your Emu after installing the plugin.

Ctrl+P opens Winamp preferences.
From the 'Plugin' menu on the left, click on 'output'.
Now select the ASIO plugin and click on 'Configure'

Select your Audio Interface here. Make sure Resampling is disabled on this page so that you get an unadulterated stream.

The downside is that now the level control in Winamp has no-effect, but this doesn't bother me since I have a dedicated control for that.
Thank you man.This solved the problem.It was the wave out that was lowering the sound.
Now with the asio out the sound level is the same as the daw.And more dynamic from wave..
Asio for ever.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
huejahfink's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Excellent news! I'm glad that at least one in every few hundred of my posts are useful to someone.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
The Equalizer / Studio building / acoustics
3
haryy / So much gear, so little time
14
daniel elliott / So much gear, so little time
19
vital / So much gear, so little time
5
AnthonyR / Geekslutz forum
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump