The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flux Mastering Bundle Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Flux Mastering Bundle

Thinking about grabbing this mastering bundle while it's on sale!

What are your thoughts on the comp, eq, and limiter?

I'm kind of lacking in the software side for a decent eq plugin.

Thoughts?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I use the EQ all the time, it is always up there with my Sonoris and PSP Neon HR, the limiter comes in handy from time to time but takes a while to learn. For some reason the compressor has never worked for me (ie I haven't had the patience/need to learn it) I'm sure it's great but I have plenty of analog options.

Highly recommended even if it is just for the EQ and it isn't CPU intensive like the sonoris and PSP (although they are/have linear phase options).

Hope that helps, I bought the package when I had a student discount and have been pretty happy with it. Although the Sonoris Mastering EQ would be my first choice now.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
I love Epure, it's my go-to digital EQ. The gui and features are excellent and easy to use.

Solera is a beast of a tool. Not as deep as Alchemist, but still a powerful dynamics manager. It can be a straight up meat & potatoes compressor, and does a good job as such, or you can utilize all the extra features Flux added like Angel's Share and Hysteresis to get into some really heavy sculpting. I generally eshew the extras, but when I need a digital comp I usually go here.

The Pure Limiter is a great sounding limiter, and I'm using it about 50/50 with Voxengo Elephant. The abundance of control options does make it a bit intimidating, and at first it can be hard to find a setting that grabs all the peaks and doesn't leave too much of a thumb print. Lagerfeldt posted a nice set of suggestions for approaching this limiter.

All great sounding, all indispensible.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
When I was in the market for a high quality digital EQ, I tried the Epure since many folk spoke so highly of it.
I have to say I was disappointed. Perhaps I did not give it enough of a chance, but with the few projects I tried it on I just found that it sounded a little "obvious" for want of a better word, and decided that it would probably be better suited to mixing than mastering. Although I'm probably the only person in the known universe that feels this way.
The GUI is nice, but in terms of general ergonomics and ease of use, the Fabfilter one (pro-q?) seemed much nicer.

I settled on the Algorithmix RED instead. The interface is really very dry but it's simply the clearest sounding EQ plug I've heard.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

To me "obvious" can be an asset in many ways, there are plenty of digital EQ's where you boost 2dB and it really doesn't respond like an analog EQ, that said Epure is great in mixing and has been my go to EQ for overheads and acoustic guitars. Epure feels like a good compromise between a minimum phase EQ, CPU usage and tone, also it can easily be set up in MS and has less artefacts than many MS processors to my ears.

Again I think it is a great toolkit for the price, not the right tool for everything, but valuable none the less!
Old 22nd December 2010
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
When I was in the market for a high quality digital EQ, I tried the Epure since many folk spoke so highly of it.
I have to say I was disappointed. Perhaps I did not give it enough of a chance, but with the few projects I tried it on I just found that it sounded a little "obvious" for want of a better word, and decided that it would probably be better suited to mixing than mastering.
Epure II is a standard minimum phase EQ. It sounds exactly like other minimum phase equalizers with identical sound design once you've offset the bandwidth control value. The filters are fixed 12 dB/Octave.

Epure has symmetrical gain-Q coupling and great M/S / Multichannel functionality as well as the A/B morphing slider (particularly useful in post processing, though I rarely find a use for it in mastering). The functionality, workflow or visual design is why I'd get it, not for the sound which is, as mentioned, standard digital EQ fare.

The Solera and Alchemist in particular are entirely different beasts, very flexible and versatile dynamic processors. The Syrah isn't included in the mastering bundle but can be quite useful for parallel compression and threshold independent de-expansion. The Limiter is very good and the flexible minimum/maximum release times and the velocity parameter allows you to do more program dependent - or intelligent if you will - limiting without resorting to a one-size-fits-all ARC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search