The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ME's, what's your wish for tracks getting sent to u in the year 2011? Studio Headphones
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

ME's, what's your wish for tracks getting sent to u in the year 2011?

If you could have one wish to tell producers something before sending through their tracks for the new year (2011) what would it be?

Is there something really bugging you? Have there been new trends in the last few years that you wish you could see the end of?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sure, my prices have tripled and it's totally worth the extra money.
Old 21st December 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
if sending digital audio files, number your files and name them well.

01-band_name-song_title
02-band_name-song_title

etc

also, give me the ISR codes before i had you your final master

also also, i dont drink dark beer.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
if the mixes aren't clipping and don't require 3 de essers i am happy.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Same as this year to be honest!

Wouldn't want life to be boring now, eh...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
if the mixes aren't clipping and don't require 3 de essers i am happy.
do people really send in tracks that clip? that's crazy
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
do people really send in tracks that clip? that's crazy
It's funnier when they send in flat-topped, crushed mixes that are reduced 3dB in volume and they tell me that they're sending in mixes with 3dB of clear headroom...
Old 21st December 2010

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
It's funnier when they send in flat-topped, crushed mixes that are reduced 3dB in volume and they tell me that they're sending in mixes with 3dB of clear headroom...
Right... funny...

Yeah, there's a certain amount of clipped and limited stuff arriving these days for a variety of reasons, ranging from mixers feeling that they need to "compete" to get the gig, to uninformed artists not understanding the difference between an unmastered mix and a mastered CD that they compare it to in the car.

If mixers need to do a level-maximized car-test, they should keep one without the crush to send to mastering. In that case, however, send both the clear mix and the car-test version (clearly labelled) to aid in understanding the client's expectations.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I don't think it's the function of a mastering engineer to 'tell' producers anything much - we provide a service to our customers, not the other way round. Certainly there are discussions about individual project aspects, and I'd like to think people come to me for my experience and to hold my course if there's a point worth making, but I'm also mindful of who employs me.
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
I wish for more lo-fi stuff. Records made by people knowing little or nothing about equalization, compression and reverb. Records where level and panning mostly is what happened.

Records made by people with great ideas regarding music rather than great ideas regarding endless processing.

Happy Festivus
Patrik
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
I don't think it's the function of a mastering engineer to 'tell' producers anything much - we provide a service to our customers, not the other way round.
This depends of what layer of the market you're in.

I often make humble suggestions about the mix, if there's the possibility for a remix.
If not, I try to achieve the best result possible.

There's more and more overlap in different tasks in music production.
This works both ways: not only mixing engineers often do mastering themselves,
mastering engineers are involved in the mixing process too.

If it serves the purpose of a better master, then it's part of the mastering service.

Again, I'm not talking about the 10% fulltime pro-mixers that just 'deliver', each time.
They don't need your feedback.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict
-
i hate it when customer bring or send me unlabeled cd`s with no comment at all.
-
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamosae.be View Post
I'm not talking about the 10% fulltime pro-mixers that just 'deliver', each time.
Neither am I, but I understand what you're saying.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
If you could have one wish to tell producers something before sending through their tracks for the new year (2011) what would it be?
Really good mixes of really good songs, printed at conservative levels is always a plus.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would just ask that they bring in fresh coffee not starbucks And watch more Louis Black......
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
More great mixes from the usual suspects.heh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Q. Are certain frequencies being hit harder these days that you wish people would tame a little? For example is sibilance on the rise/ harsher top ends/ weedier lower ends or something like that?

I'm just curious how music is presented to ME's these days cuz it must be so different to the past and will probably continue to change into the near future.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Bass keeps getting louder and louder, especially since the Dubstep thing started getting really popular (in the type of music I specialize in). Actually if I had a couple requests, it would be no more wobble basslines, and please don't sidechain the kick and bass if you don't understand the concept.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
More great music! Makes the job enjoyable.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I recently requested new masters for a long LP vinyl cut and yes....same files came back turned down 2db digitally.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
I recently requested new masters for a long LP vinyl cut and yes....same files came back turned down 2db digitally.
I have a little info sheet on PDF which I hand out to the labels I work with which generally sorts this out.
Only a couple of producers who could hardly speak English had a problem grasping it. We got there in the end though (no thanks to my inability to speak a word of Russian.)
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
Story of my life right now.

I am thinking of re-building the front end of my website so that you to submit a track you must read the delivery requirements..

might piss a few folks off, but for real driven passionate people (the guys we wanna work with right?) it's just seen as an extra helping hand.
Old 24th December 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
if sending digital audio files, number your files and name them well.

01-band_name-song_title
02-band_name-song_title

etc

also, give me the ISRC codes before i had you your final master

also also, i dont drink dark beer.
Almost the same. I'll add Sample rate and bith depth, useful for me as well as for younger folks that don't have a clear idea on how archiving works in a facility.

ISR codes tend to arrive late this days so I concur 100% so have your codes ready before assembly, QC, verification, burning listening and master delivery!

Finally even tough I have a drink very occasionally these days I do love stout.
Old 24th December 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Right... funny...

Yeah, there's a certain amount of clipped and limited stuff arriving these days for a variety of reasons, ranging from mixers feeling that they need to "compete" to get the gig, to uninformed artists not understanding the difference between an unmastered mix and a mastered CD that they compare it to in the car.

If mixers need to do a level-maximized car-test, they should keep one without the crush to send to mastering. In that case, however, send both the clear mix and the car-test version (clearly labelled) to aid in understanding the client's expectations.
I the world went the Dutch way we would all be unemployed! heh

Can I have another bicycle-test version? The same as last one but louder! heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search