The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JDK R22 vs. TK Audio BC1 for 2-buss mix Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

JDK R22 vs. TK Audio BC1 for 2-buss mix

Considering these two compressors are right in the same price range ($1100 - $1300) and both seem to share the "very clean" and "uncolored" qualities according to everyone here I'm surprised I haven't seen a comparison between them. Anyone with experience with both? I'd be especially interested in how they comparatively perform on a final Rock mix, full program material, not Drum buss etc. Reason I'm asking is obviously my budget, and these two seem to get a lot of praise for price vs. performance, plus I do like the "uncolored" type of compression on my 2buss mix so it would seem one of these two is bound to fulfill my needs. Any votes for these two guys?
Old 21st December 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
if you have to, get the TK, recall and stereo matching.

otherwise, save up for a used api 2500
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I have tried R22 and was not impressed. By the way, very small VU's.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
save up for a used api 2500
yea, I figured someone would mention that since the price of a used 2500 would not be too far from a new BC1 or R22; however, from looking in all the forums here, the API seems to get far more votes as a comp for Drum buss than for the full program material of a final stereo mix. In fact, a couple of slutz here have mentioned how it seemed too colored on a stereo bus, and although it may be the good type of "color" I prefer a somewhat clean comp for that function. I do like color on my pre's and tracking comps though, but yea I hear nothing but good things about the API 2500 on a group buss (drums, guitars, etc).
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

For that budget you might wanna check the TFPro P38 and SPL Kultube too. Many like the P38, I had a version without a high pass filter which I dearly missed. Imo it’s not as colored as many claim it to be, it certainly is not a Sebatron VEQ-2000 type and amount of color. The Kultube is recently added to my gearlist and like it a lot. Excellent compressor, can go from transparent to colored and from gentle to aggressive. Great options/functions which I miss on many other compressors for bus work. With most compressors I have to feeling I want other/more options, but this one is great right out of the box. Especially the attack/release times are great!

Kind regards,
Maarten
Old 21st December 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
P38s are really nice actually
Old 21st December 2010
Lots of compressor examples including the R22 & TK BC1

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5015373-post42.html

ORIGINAL FILE

TK BC-1
Threshold: 8 O'clock
Ratio: 10:1
HPF: IN
L/R: OUT [not linked]
Attack: 30ms
Release: 300ms
Make up gain: 11 O'clock
Blend: 50/50 [High Noon]

JDK R22
Sorry - I didn't write down the settings - DOH!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi
When compairing compressors, wouldn't it be better to write how much the gain-reduction is instead of the threshold setting? just a thought as the operation levels varies.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5015373-post42.html

ORIGINAL FILE

TK BC-1
Threshold: 8 O'clock
Ratio: 10:1
HPF: IN
L/R: OUT [not linked]
Attack: 30ms
Release: 300ms
Make up gain: 11 O'clock
Blend: 50/50 [High Noon]

JDK R22
Sorry - I didn't write down the settings - DOH!
hmmmm, the R22 just seemed kinda weak, too bad you didn't write the settings you had on it, maybe it's just the settings you had? I like the BC1 better out of the two, although I went to the link you posted with the original shoot-out and I loved the 1968 better than any of the others by far (yes, even more than the API 2500), and it so happens to be within my price range. Hopefully I get to hear more of the BC1 and 1968 in action before I make my decision because I think for me it's going to be between those two.
Old 21st January 2011
If you havent made your decision yet...........I've owned the JDK for a couple months now and think that it is ok over the stereo buss. Definitely not as smooth or as nice sounding to me as an SSL buss compressor which the TK is based off of (or at least looks like). I had the same dilemma deciding over the JDK or the TK as well, but went the JDK way. The JDK VU's are very accurate and responsive even though they ARE small. The JDK is no slouch though, it does do a very good job over the stereo buss when not hit too hard in my opinion and the "thrust" option is nice as well. does what it says. the biggest downfall is the lack of attack or release controls. The soft knee and hard knee toggle switch basically make-up for this problem, soft knee can be used for more of a traditional buss sound in that it is reminiscent of a slower attack and longer release. hard knee is more of an exciting pumping fast attack fast release sound. But it still is a bummer not to have control over attack/release. Overall, I had higher hopes than what this has delivered for me. With this all said, I think this compressor is still a good deal....just maybe not to be used as a primary buss compressor if you have other options.....but then again, I've only had it for 2 months
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookagain77 View Post
hmmmm, the R22 just seemed kinda weak, too bad you didn't write the settings you had on it, maybe it's just the settings you had? I like the BC1 better out of the two, although I went to the link you posted with the original shoot-out and I loved the 1968 better than any of the others by far (yes, even more than the API 2500), and it so happens to be within my price range. Hopefully I get to hear more of the BC1 and 1968 in action before I make my decision because I think for me it's going to be between those two.
the manley sounds the best.
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Listening to all these it's apparent how some compressor's suit certain types of music. I would say the 1968 suits this track. It's brings out the snare, the track seems crisper, brighter (maybe not a good thing for every kind of track) A similar thing happens with the Manley, which I'd expect, but it somehow seems more washy in the bass end. The BC1 seems to lose definition, sounds slightly duller, might be ok for less rhythmic tracks but not on this. I like the character of the 2500, seems it could be good on just about everything but on this style of track for me the 1968 wins out.

Steve
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Head

I listened the 3 tracks. I really was impressed by R22. So much that I'm really thinking to buy one for stereo buss
I'm not saying the other compressor is ugly, absolutely. The fact is that the JDK seems to have, perfectly, the kind of sound I'm looking for since a while.
Really nice separation/stereo enanchement IMO. Very "modern" sound.

If someone out there planned to sell a JDK R22, please PM me, I would be really interested!
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the file uploads Roc. These were eye-opening.

I personally can see why most prefer the Drawmer, it definitely punches the hardest for this track, plus it imparts a fairly rounded compression. The Manly seems to get pretty close, not quite as rounded as the Drawmer, a little more aggressive. The API has the most aggressive compression here, not rounded but sharper and more edgy in general, it digs into the drums more. Which is cool too. The JDK doesn't really make the cut on this one, but, the TK BC1 is definitely in there. It doesn't bang 'quite' as hard as the Drawmer, and isn't quite as edgy as the API, or even the Drawmer... but it's seems to be holding its own with some kind of a slightly more blended out API (is it a tad smaller sounding though?). I can hear how clean the BC1's tone is though, which I really like that.

The more I mix, the more I prefer to allow my choice preamps do the coloring. It actually annoys a little me when additional outboard imparts 'too' much of its own tone, as it can detract from what I originally chose during the tracking stage. But that's just me, I like to really know the color-grade of my gear. And I do buy colored gear, but, I have to really know and like the color. I seem to shy away from stuff that's too dark sounding though, again just me.

Please feel free to upload any more. For example, if you run into an Alan Smart C1 / C2 or the Portico 5043, would be cool to hear them on this same track.

Last edited by Ijustmake-Beats; 8th November 2011 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: changed my mind about the Manley

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search