The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering tracks for Gearslutz members
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Just wondering how many ME engineers on here master tracks for people on here?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove View Post
I did twice.
That being said, I don't compete in the dumping wars and the budgets you see here are often very low. So I'm not interested in most requests.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've done a few tracks for folks on here. The more exposure, the better, at least as far as I am concerned, being somewhat of an "unknown" so far!
Old 18th December 2010
Audio Alchemist

In the hundreds.

I can't help geeking around here anyways but I get a couple of mastering requests from GS members every week.

My rates are on my website so people who have very low budgets go elsewhere.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've done a few dozen as well. My rates are the same as Lagerfelt.

The one difference I do from most mastering houses is I don't charge for the masters themselves... you only pay for having the song mastered. I do this because of the way the tax structure works here in the US. If I sell the master I have to charge tax for that but if I give it away with my service I don't... so I give them away. Saves the client that much more.

G/S's are great to work for as most really know what they want or at least "hear" what you are doing to their material. Once you do good work for one member, they usually tell another, and so on and so on...

Sorry for the advert...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Interesting question, I think I've done only one song for one person.

Certainly not the reason I participate in this or any other forum, I just enjoy discussing music, audio, & mastering concepts, and the camaraderie of a few like minded MEs.

JT
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Guilty
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Dozens of projects where Gearslutz is mentioned somewhere...
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
I did a sample track for GS member. He loved it.
I quoted him what I though was a very good price for an LP.
He went with someone cheaper.
To my knowledge that was the only time this happened.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I do this because of the way the tax structure works here in the US. If I sell the master I have to charge tax for that but if I give it away with my service I don't... so I give them away.
Sorry for the hijack.

That's what I do too. My book keeper told me it's the way to to do it but I've heard different stories. I also pay tax on equipment purchases because I am not reselling the equipment. I hope that's the right way. The NYS sales tax mafia are not to be f*ucked with.

I spoke to an old timer who said they had always done the opposite. Collect tax for studio time and not pay it on equipment purchases because they were reselling time.

I collect tax for lacquers though.

Clients who discuss gear before music are bad news.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just to mention.

I've sent some vinyl projects to Paul Gold (above) who does some great work with that media.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
We've had good luck with fellow GS's as clients. Only the occasional non-budget inquiry.
Old 18th December 2010

Verified Member
I work with many artists on the web, GS included.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't. Yet. But I do digital mastering with plug-ins only, which says a lot as to why I haven't got many clients. But if anyone wants to give me a shot, they're more than welcome to. Sorry for the shameless plug, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by DanDaMan; 18th December 2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: forgot something.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
which says a lot as to why I haven't got many clients. But if anyone wants to give me a shot, they're more than welcome to. Sorry for the shameless plug, I couldn't resist.
Sounds more like a shameful plug
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
Sounds more like a shameful plug
Oh alright then, shameful it is :D
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've got Dave Collins mastering a record for me this week, and I believe Paul Gold will be doing a vinyl version, so I guess there's that.

And I have stuff mastered fairly regularly by William Bowden for my clients in Oz.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I got one client from GS who told me that his mixing engineer read some posts and decided to send me some music. I ve done a full album for them so far.
Having said that, I always think about playing my cards at the "where to" section, but I am always busy at the time some good opportunity with normal budgets arises.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Can't really figure out the number off hand but I've definitely gotten a bit of inquiries and work from folks who have seen some of my posts on GS and other audio boards like Recforums. It took about a couple years of actively posting before I saw one though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quite a few. GS is a good crowd!

GR
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold View Post
lol, that's so true! i think alot of us are getting more and more of that on the mix/production end these days as well... sometimes it's kinda cool, but more often it's time you lose discussing stuff that doesn't really help the final product...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have recommended mastering engineers that I found just by lurking here. They would never know, but I recommended them because I can tell by reading their posts that they would do the right thing for the right projects.

A LOT of people just lurk without posting here. . .

I know posting and being on here turns into clients for sure for many. Heck, be a good person and selflessly help people online and you deserve it.

Best,
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
lots of people linking thru GS come to my website. how many % of them become client i have no idea.
Old 20th December 2010
I've had a few I know of for sure. The most interesting situation is when you meet someone local doing amazing things you've never heard of - Cincy is a a "smallish" big city surrounded by hills and a river that keep things concentrated, so you tend to know most peeps personally. GS has managed to shake out a few established, working musicians I'd never met (often playing genres that don't have a lot of live venues here).
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold View Post
All gear makes sound. Discussing gear is discussing music.

Mychal
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Just to mention.

I've sent some vinyl projects to Paul Gold (above) who does some great work with that media.
Thanks Tom. I think I will be using your brothers services in the future to help go over the console I'm building.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search