The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dithering question. DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Dithering question.

I know that it would probably be a stupid question and i will get some yes or no answer but i want to be sure.when i put my final ditheri plugin or enable the uv22hr function of my apogees to boince my final track to 44100/bits when the bounce to disk window apeears to my pro tools should i also check the dither box and put it from24 bits to 16?i am guessing no right?the plugin or the apogee's uv22hr function does that right?if i check the box and set it from 24 to 16 it would be like double dithering right?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Noone?just yes or no please
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Addict

If you are "bouncing to disk" within your pro tools application, the audio is not going through your apogee d to a converters before it is written as a "bounce". So enabling the UV22 option on the Apogees would not have any effect on the bounce.
Old 15th December 2010

Verified Member
Dither any time you go from more bits to fewer bits. When recording original tracks, you can skip the UV22 to 16 bits at the converter and record into the DAW at 24 bits. Then at the end of mixing, and use dither in the DAW to 16 as the last step before your bounce to disk or do the final output to CD. If you'll be doing subsequent mastering, just keep it at 24 bits the whole way and dither to 16 as the last step in mastering.

If you end up using the UV22 to 16 bits on the converter, and you then do mixing in the DAW, changing levels, adding EQ and such, the wordlength will increase again, and you'll still have to use dither in the DAW to get back to 16-bits before you make a CD. However, that first dithering at the converter is not really needed in this particular case, and you're removing some of the low level detail unnecessarily.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

i see.one question again though.lets say i export a song on 48000 / 24 and put in a new project for mastering. and do my processing .and then put the final dithering plugin at the last of my plugins chain at my master buss.and press bounce to disk.do i still select the 16 bits on the bounce to disk window?or do i leave it on 24 bits and the plugin does the dithering?or when i put a dithering plugin on the last of my master buss it does not take any effect if i select to 16 from 24 bits to my bounce to disk window?or if i put also the dithering plugin and also select 16 from 24 bits in the bounce to disk window it would be like double dithering?
Old 17th December 2010

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by capellino View Post
i see.one question again though.lets say i export a song on 48000 / 24 and put in a new project for mastering. and do my processing .and then put the final dithering plugin at the last of my plugins chain at my master buss.and press bounce to disk.do i still select the 16 bits on the bounce to disk window?or do i leave it on 24 bits and the plugin does the dithering?or when i put a dithering plugin on the last of my master buss it does not take any effect if i select to 16 from 24 bits to my bounce to disk window?or if i put also the dithering plugin and also select 16 from 24 bits in the bounce to disk window it would be like double dithering?
It of course depends on your DAW and how it works as a default, and what options it gives you in the bounce window, and how you set up your signal flow. Most likely the bounce does not happen with dither unless you select it as an option, so select 16 at the plug-in and 16 on the bounce to disk window. In this example, the dither happens at the plug-in and not from the bounce window, so it's not double dither. The bounce simply truncates the actual output word to 16 bits, which should not cause truncation distortion since you are dithering to 16 with the plug-in dither. However, check the default operation and preferences of your specific DAW to ensure that this is indeed how it is set up.

The one question that remains is your comment about 48000, or 48 kHz sample rate. If you want to put it on a CD, it will need sample rate conversion to 44.1 kHz as well as dithering from 24-bit to 16-bit.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search