The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter Pro-L
Old 21st October 2010
FabFilter Pro-L

i think you should give this baby a chance :

FabFilter Software Instruments - Audio effect and synthesizer plugins AU VST RTAS

i think it sounds pretty good
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
Yes, it does sound very nice, will test it some more tomorrow!
Old 21st October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I'm glad you guys like it! We've worked hard on Pro-L for a very long time.If you have any questions about it let me know.

Here is a little description about the attack and release knob behaviour and some other tips and tricks that I wrote on KvR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bManic
During the development of Pro-L we noticed how important it is to properly control the relationship of the different internal "envelope" segments and by adding an "attack" knob for Pro-L the user can easily tweak the balance between how fast the long release stage should kick in. Basically the attack and release controls in Pro-L work like this:

Attack knob: the speed at when the long release cycle kicks in (this release cycle is the one controlling the overall envelope which prevents clipping/distortion/intermodulation from happening)

Release knob: the actual release time of the long release.. well kind of. All the algorithms are highly program dependent so a lot of stuff is happening in the background but in essence this controls the long release cycle.

EDIT: so, to make Pro-L behave almost like a clipper you simply fully open up the attack and set release knob to zero. Actually, Pro-L can get very close to being a real hard clipper but due to the program dependent way it works it'll never be quite a full clipper. How close to a full clipper it gets varies between the algorithms. This is kind of good though as it starts to distort a tiny bit later than a clipper at these settings while still preserving transients like real clipping. Think of it as "magic high-end AD clipping".. well no, not really but you can always dream can't ya?

The transient stereo link knob is kind of dependant on the attack knob as well. If you open up the attack, making the long release hit later, you get larger chunks of transients through to the fast envelope process. This process has it's own stereo linking system. One the long release kicks in you get the release envelope linking as well. All fully adjustable between 0% and 100%.

You can get some pretty neat and slightly weird results by fully linking the transient stereo image (set to 100%) and fully unlinking the long release stereo linking. It's hard to describe.. things that move and have a lot of energy get "centered" while pads and fluff in the back ground get spaced out into the back ground.
Cheers!
bManic
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Nice one bmanic, looking forward to checking this out... Once I have turned the GUI off
Lives for gear

All i can tell you it's brilliant! It's a really transparant sounding limiter which you can push quite hard without artifacts. I'm already using it for some time now and it's already my 'go to' limiter while i was using xenon before.

I simply love it!
Lives for gear

Good review. Have you compared it to any other limiters?
Old 22nd October 2010 | Show parent
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Nice one bmanic, looking forward to checking this out... Once I have turned the GUI off
nice thing is that with this one, you actually can!
I wish Flux Pure and Syrah could do that. Hate those waveform/GR graphs.
Gear Head

Bought. Sounds good. I'm picking up mastering slowly and FabFilter makes the process a bit more visual.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg View Post
nice thing is that with this one, you actually can!
I wish Flux Pure and Syrah could do that. Hate those waveform/GR graphs.
At least in Syrah you can. It's the blue button right above the display.

Cheers!
bManic
kjg
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
At least in Syrah you can. It's the blue button right above the display.
So, it is possible! I wasn't sure anymore if it was actually possible for that one or that it was my wishful thinking... Memory mess up! : )

Thank you for pointing it out.
Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I really like it! there is some evaluation time left which will allow to decide
if I buy the limiter only or the mastering bundle. especially the compressor I´d like to try out on various program materials.

great GUI design!
Lives for gear

Pro-C was not really meant for mastering as far as I know. It is very program dependent so perhaps it's possible to use it in some situations but where it shines is on track material like vocals, guitar, bass, synth etc. It's very transparent and gentle at most settings. Definitely not a "character" compressor.

Cheers!
bManic
Gear Maniac

i really like the overall sound of the Pro L, the gain sounds really clean.
There will probably be comparisons with the ozone 4 and while I agree with a lot of the people that for transient limiting and serious gain reduction it is still the one to beat, I have never liked the overall sound.

As I don't use peak limiters for much gain reduction anyway, the most important element of a limiter is its sound.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Very interesting limiter, I like the differences between the various algorithms you can select. They make a noticeable and useful difference depending on the source material. At first I thought people were making too big of a deal about scrolling display, but after some use I tend to agree, it doesn't really add much useful information to the process. Or maybe I should say, I have yet to need it as a way to make changes to my settings. Glad you can turn that off, though I wish the meters were bigger when you do that though.

Overall I'm digging it, going to spend more time pitting it against Elephant and seeing if it's something I'd be interested in long term.
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Took some time to demo this today. Awesome limiter! All 4 algorithms sound great and it is cool to find the one that works best with the material you are working on. Tons of control via lookahead, attack, release and channel linking. Definitely planning on picking this up soon.
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Glad to hear you like it!

Cheers!
bManic
Old 2nd December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
STILL waiting to do that shoot-out
Old 2nd December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just bought it and think it's excellent!

Have Massey, PSP, Ozone and L2. FAB is sounding more appropriate on more material than any of the others (but glad to have the others when I need a different sound).
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
Just started trying this today - excellent limiter. Liking dynamic mode a great deal. Will report back with more waffle when I get time...

Old 5th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just started trying this today - excellent limiter. Liking dynamic mode a great deal. Will report back with more waffle when I get time...

thumbsup Like

How do you think it performs against Elephant? (Don't have the possibility to do any testing atm)
Old 6th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
I'm going to do some more work with it over the next few days and get back in here.

Certainly I know what I hear as the primary differences between the two limiters - but I completely lack the vocabulary to describe that difference at the moment. That is, unless I resort to vague, fluffy GS-typical words that don't really accurately nail anything down heh

In the meantime, if bManic or any other FF-peeps see this, one or two questions;

- Would it be possible to implement the usual auto-gain/threshold type deal, so that you can hear the limiting without the associated level change? If this is possible already then I apologise as I have missed it (not unlikely after only a day with it).

- Would it be possible to implement an 'alternative' plugin view? That is, a horizontal meter layout with the advanced controls always displayed underneath or something (sort of like UAD Prec Limiter's layout)?

I'm never ever going to use the graphic display, and with that turned off I have a blank GUI the size of a football pitch sitting there in the way of everything else

Gear Maniac
Quote:
I......

- Would it be possible to implement the usual auto-gain/threshold type deal, so that you can hear the limiting without the associated level change? If this is possible already then I apologise as I have missed it (not unlikely after only a day with it).

you can do this by pressing [alt] while moving the gain slider (dunno the PC keycommand, but I´m sure there is one too)
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
I knew I'd get shown up as soon as I typed that heh

Ah well, I don't mind looking like a div if it helps someone else.

Thanks Steffen.
Lives for gear

The Pro-L doesn't impress me much. Sorry, but I think there are better ones out there...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
- Would it be possible to implement an 'alternative' plugin view? That is, a horizontal meter layout with the advanced controls always displayed underneath or something (sort of like UAD Prec Limiter's layout)?

I'm never ever going to use the graphic display, and with that turned off I have a blank GUI the size of a football pitch sitting there in the way of everything else

+1, would love a way to have the advanced pane always in view when I first launch the plug in.
Old 7th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've been asking for a similar thing a while now as well. I'd love two versions of the plugin. One with the complex fancy metering (which I never use) and one without, with just the gain reduction/peak/ISP stuff. The idea of having it horizontal is great!

You can already make sure that Pro-L has the exact default layout that you want, meters off and advanced tab out. Simply set it up the way you want it and then click on the preset menu, select Options and then "Save as default.."

This will save the plugin it exactly the state you see it on screen and always open it up this way.

Cheers!
bManic
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
+1, would love a way to have the advanced pane always in view when I first launch the plug in.
See my answer to macc. This can be done already. heh

Cheers!
bManic
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Doh, missed that, thanks.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
8 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
See my answer to macc. This can be done already. heh

Cheers!
bManic
Can you run it on more than one computer that you own?
(I have two Mac's N two Pee Cee's that are all used for mastering)

The thing I noticed while trying the demo, is that it's still adding more than a half dB of gain to an already mastered lavry gold capture, when set to zero, using dynamic mode, (attack on 7, release on 0, lookahead nearly off and the links on zero).

Having said that, it didn't have me rushing to remove it from the slot like most limiter type plugs do in that situation!
Old 8th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Tone View Post
Can you run it on more than one computer that you own?
(I have two Mac's N two Pee Cee's that are all used for mastering)

The thing I noticed while trying the demo, is that it's still adding more than a half dB of gain to an already mastered lavry gold capture, when set to zero, using dynamic mode, (attack on 7, release on 0, lookahead nearly off and the links on zero).

Having said that, it didn't have me rushing to remove it from the slot like most limiter type plugs do in that situation!

Good question, I don't actually know what kind of license the FabFilter plugins have. Because it is a simple serial number, nothing is preventing you from installing it on all your computers. I have it on 3 different setups. Studio computer, my crappy laptop and my wife's computer. If you want to do the right thing, you'll go to the website and see what the license says. My guess is that you are entitled to install it on at least 2 different computers.. perhaps even all that you own as long as they are yours (the licenses are personal).

The Dynamic algorithm is a bit of a strange beast.. it's attack knob has a dual function. It enhances/separates transients and also controls the attack of the second envelope of the limiter (meaning it controls the ratio between the fast and slow program dependent envelopes of the limiter). Normal settings for the attack in this style are between 100 and 700ms.. anything beyond 700ms is considered experimental/brutal/over-the-top kind of stuff. heh

So, if your tune has some peaks that go past 0dBFS, even by a small amount, the limiter WILL change the sound and behaviour a bit while you insert the dynamic algorithm on the track. It is possible that it has a slightly soft knee in the transient separation part of the algorithm which means that it wouldn't even have to peak at 0dBFS but rather -1 or -2dBFS could be enough to trigger the transient algorithm.

The other limiter styles are more traditional brickwall types that do not react until something crosses the threshold.

Cheers!
bManic
📝 Reply