The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter Pro-L
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Could you possible elaborate? What didn't impress you and why wasn't it working for you?

Many thanks
Sorry, I can't remember exactly - it's been 4 years since I wrote this.

Limiters are not really important for me anymore. Usually I need a limiter to keep the ISP under control, thats all. The limiter is fed with a signal peaking -0.3 dBfs. Its treshold is set to -0.3 dbFS and all the limiter does is shape the ISP's (output ceiling is -0.3 dbFS too), gain reduction is usually ver short term within less than 1 dB.

Regarding to this there are not really differences in sound between different limiters, every limiter capable of ISP-limiting can easily fulfil this requirements.
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoRausch View Post
Sorry, I can't remember exactly - it's been 4 years since I wrote this.

Limiters are not really important for me anymore. Usually I need a limiter to keep the ISP under control, thats all. The limiter is fed with a signal peaking -0.3 dBfs. Its treshold is set to -0.3 dbFS and all the limiter does is shape the ISP's (output ceiling is -0.3 dbFS too), gain reduction is usually ver short term within less than 1 dB.

Regarding to this there are not really differences in sound between different limiters, every limiter capable of ISP-limiting can easily fulfil this requirements.
No problem 4years is a while ago, I appreciate your reply.

Totally changing the subject... I find it curious that you leave such little headroom in your single path prior to a limiter? Pretty much most of my work would have at the very least 6dB of headroom and then use the limiter to increase to -0.3dbFS. (this is assuming your working at 24bit)
Old 30th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
You can gain up without limiting, if you want.
📝 Reply