The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
moving out, new place to set-up
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member

Hi Guy's

okay we teamed up as a group of music related bizz and decided to setup a place where we'll work together .. 1400M2 meters .. planning is to move in 2011 ... hope it works out well ...

just as a teaser some cool pics, the buildings is being pre-pared / fixed .. it's an old industrial/railway building ..

hight is between 3.80m and 7m ...

I hope you like it ..
Attached Thumbnails
moving out, new place to set-up-ib_p001_0_3.jpg   moving out, new place to set-up-ib_p001_0_4.jpg   moving out, new place to set-up-ib_p001_0_6.jpg   moving out, new place to set-up-ib_p001_0_7.jpg   moving out, new place to set-up-ib_p001_0_9.jpg  

Old 5th October 2010
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
Hi Guy's

okay we teamed up as a group of music related bizz and decided to setup a place where we'll work together .. 1400M2 meters .. planning is to move in 2011 ... hope it works out well ...

just as a teaser some cool pics, the buildings is being pre-pared / fixed .. it's an old industrial/railway building ..

hight is between 3.80m and 7m ...

I hope you like it ..
Very nice. Looks like it will have great character. How many of you - so how much room each? Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 5th October 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member

Looks awesome, good luck with it, will be following closely!
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Great, Wim! Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Congrats, looks like a great, vibey space.

Hope you're more successful designing some daylight into your room then i was!
Old 5th October 2010
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Looks interesting! Best of luck with everything, Wim.

Alistair
Old 5th October 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
have fun moving those B&Ws back down those stairs of yours
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Wow! good news Wim, place looks promising!
I always love these kind of old buildings.

@Darius: Daglichtsysteem Solatube | Meer daglicht met onze daglichtsystemen > i have this in my studio and it's great!
Old 5th October 2010
Gear Addict

Congrats---- Looks like a cool place. Make sure to take LOTS of Pics!
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
Can't be worse than the Duntech Sovereigns I helped move once!

Best of luck with the new place inlinenl! You should take pictures and post the build in the photo diary's studio construction sub-forum. thumbsup
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Just wondering... why do i see naked girls using these poles for poledancing while you do your 'masteringjob'? heh
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
thnx guy's ....

for sure it's a nice looking place ... the vibes are good there ... but for sure we'll run into some big "problems" .. but I hope we can get through.

I will let you in on the concept/partners ... a bit fast :

I'm in for around 100M2, which will be a mastering_room and smaller second room.
there will be a second mastering-engineer/room ( 100m2 ) .. so we can share some excotic hardware ( tapemachines ) and exchange ideas and be backup.
the ME for this room is making up his mind.

a larger space/area 300-400m2 will be used for education:
2 classrooms.
we have/are a steinberg officiall education center.
the official sponsored pioneer DJ school.
there is a private education part and we have/are used by regular education.
the education part is having a smaller recording_room/large drum_booth
one larger control room based on euphonix C5 system/nuendo/cubase etc. etc. and 2 or three producers rooms both 30m2.
4 great guys work there and have next to being teachers their own producing skills/network in different erea's ( pre-post/video etc. etc. dj'ing )

probably there will be 2 or three private producers rooms/studio's .. guitar education and a smaller recordingroom with vintage guitar-amps/guitars ..
they're still making up their mind.

Main focus now is that we want a large live-room & controlroom to be part of the show/concept . Total available would be around 250M2 to 300m2 for that. It should be run "modern" but with all the good from the analogue tradition .. so an SSL or NEVE next to the euphonix_room would be nice :-) also we would like to have a grand_piano there.
the education part will rent the larger live_room, de smaller producers-rooms will be using/renting the larger live room. external partys will use it.
The labels / musicians who visit the masteringstudio's will see the rooms etc. etc.
It should be setup for classical recordings and have some vintage drumkits available (miked and ready to record). People should be available to hook in their laptops and hit record asap.
we are still looking for a partner for that, or the space will be rented to some other parties we know who are interested in this.
maybe you want to run it on your own, or you could have a few of us involved, that's all possible .. personally and with one other person I'm interested in that ( classical recordings ) but just cannot raise the $$$ next to my investment in the build of the mastering_room.
everyone is running his own bizz there, but we're all interested to get the best out of it all ..
I think it would be a great opportunity for a recording_studio who's doing pretty well, but needs a bigger place ... the rent for 1m2 per year will be around € 60,- ( this "offer" will be avialable only for around 3 months ) otherwise it will be in the market for other parties.

finally we have a non_music partner who has a solid bizz in the building_industry who's going to rent 200-300m2 for his compagny.

we are still interested in a few other patners if they're related and a good extra to the concept.
I would love a gear-designer to join in this group if there will be a larger analogue recording_studio involved in the project.
I think spaces are available from 50M2 and up.

so if you're interested, you're invited to contact me.
we can plan a visit at the site & meet with the others involved.

cheers Wim.
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Congrats and best of luck on the build out.
Old 5th October 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Best of luck for the new adventure! Place looks super cool!
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
I think he moved them through the window with the help of a crane...am I wrong Wim?

On Topic:

I think it is a great idea to team up and I have been dreaming of the same thing for Thessaloniki since I returned from the UK...(I even suggested it to some engineers/studio owners)
Unfortunately Greeks are not very goood at team sports...

Best of Luck mate...

Apostolos
Old 6th October 2010
pmx
Gear Addict

Verified Member
great location wim, it is near where you are now working?
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Congratulations Wim!

Look forward to seeing your build diary!
Old 6th October 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
I think he moved them through the window with the help of a crane...am I wrong Wim?
thats right!! i remember the picture thread now.....
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
thnx guy's ..

the place is close to my house, about 5 Km .. so a nice bicycle ride in the morning ... fresh air .. good looking girls on bikes ... yes ..
The place was used for fixing trains/wheels, the trans-siberian coaches were fixed there ... it's a bit of the old "internets"
The main train_station is on a 3 minute walk from there.
there will be a fantastic restaurant next to our building .... summer_evenings unther the trees , zipping red pinot noirs and some cigars .. :-)
The old industrial erea is updated to be an artistic erea ...

this is a link to one of our neigbours : http://www.veerensmederij.nl/

for sure there will be external advice/guidance in the build, I'll focus only on the mastering_room ... in a few cases we will "copy" rooms with their modes .. one design, and a few copies made. Still we have to work on budget, so planning is paramount. On the nautilus 800's , if I don't dare to move them again, I'll keep them as laptop-speakers in the new bedroom :-) I think they'll go the same way back ( lift/platform ) ... I think it will be more easy .....
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
i am in the middle of building our new studios right now and i cannot remember when i have felt so satisfied/broke/satisfied

i would encourage anybody that looks at photos of great rooms and wishes they had one to just bite the bullet and build your own - and do it the way you want it the first time with what ever funds you can afford ..
i dont actually know a "Rich" mastering engineer so i dont reckon money is an excuse for not just going for it
i have lots of rooms over the years hopefully this version will be the last
who knows

but that building you have looks huge Wim
pick you spot in the complex carefully .. it could be a long walk to the bathrooms
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm excited and terrified for you in almost equal measure. I hope you have a really good lawyer, a friend of mine said his first thought was always 'what can go wrong and how can I get out of it'. Pessimistic words to be sure, but a few of us here have had trouble with landlords and the like so please be very careful Wim.

Also you will have to factor in lost time/income due to being on site etc, but who knows maybe you'll be mastering your first Opera in a year or so, perhaps you'll introduce them to the concept of compression even!

Good luck, and don't look too carefully at the girls on the bikes, we wouldn't want any freakish accidents now would we?

The King
Old 7th October 2010
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlerock View Post
i am in the middle of building our new studios right now and i cannot remember when i have felt so satisfied/broke/satisfied
Almost finished ours: satisfied/broke/totally knackered/ heh
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Some nights I go home and I feel beaten up...
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden View Post
I'm excited and terrified for you in almost equal measure. I hope you have a really good lawyer, a friend of mine said his first thought was always 'what can go wrong and how can I get out of it'. Pessimistic words to be sure, but a few of us here have had trouble with landlords and the like so please be very careful Wim.

Also you will have to factor in lost time/income due to being on site etc, but who knows maybe you'll be mastering your first Opera in a year or so, perhaps you'll introduce them to the concept of compression even!

Good luck, and don't look too carefully at the girls on the bikes, we wouldn't want any freakish accidents now would we?

The King
thnx William and all others .. you guys are so right ...
that's why I'm so happy to have teamed-up with the others.

it will be the smartes thing I've ever done, or the most stupid ...
well no .... I have had my share of mistakes all along the way .. and more to make :-)

the 2 larger parties are financial much more involved.
in the end we are at least 6 persons now .. a few more to come ..
it's a crazy feeling if you see all social and bizz networks coming together ..
if you just start talking/thinking .. it blows our minds ..
I was/am pretty OK working from home, I love it ... but just see this project as the right thing to do now and for the coming years ..

together we will be able to pull this of ..
If all goes bad I still can go back .. nautilus up again ...

but @ some point you've got to jump ... and trust some other people ...
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
Some nights I go home and I feel beaten up...
at least you can sit with some friends and have tziperou and fresh grilled octopus .. :-)
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have decided to drop the studio project, it will be to much money and to much work , it will ruin my private life for the next 2 to3 years .. glad I focus on mastering only again ... but it's always good to make plans ... I guess I was dreaming to much :-) ppfff . glad I pulled the plug ..maybe in 5 years I'll try again .. still a small chanche I'll move in with the mastering-only, but I'm so comforatbel working from home ...

after I went to see/talk with Thomas from northward yesterday, the train that should bring me home was stopped twice by suicide jumpers .. I thought that was the real wake-up calll ...

so I'm embarresed now ...
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Too bad Wim, it looked really great but i can totally understand and don't be embarresed!
First of all financially, i think that your studio at home is much cheaper to maintain, it may look great to have an outside studio but i think it will give you a lot more stress as well.
I have my studio at home as well and i think i would have done the same.
It feels so comfortable to have my studio at home (about 20m from the livingroom and rest of the house) and it's great to have a break every now and then and just go to the livingroom where my wife and son are.
Because it's not really a part of my house as well i also feel comfortable with attended sessions because customers can come in through the garden and don't even to get into my house (personal live) as well.
I have a little fridge in the studio and for REAL espresso we can hang out in the kitchen.

Freaky thing about them jumpers.. i believe in these kind of things and i think you should as well.

Enjoy life and your family! way more important!
Old 22nd November 2010

Verified Member
Quote:
after I went to see/talk with Thomas from northward yesterday, the train that should bring me home was stopped twice by suicide jumpers .. I thought that was the real wake-up calll ...
For one second I thought the chicken bleeding, diffusor smashing and indian burns rituals before and after the listening session were what scared you off.

Was nice meeting you!
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
the train that should bring me home was stopped twice by suicide jumpers .. I thought that was the real wake-up calll ...
Many years ago (maybe 91 or so?) I was offered a job by EMI cutting DMM on a VMS-82 lathe - it all seemed so exciting after cutting to acetate on an 80. Like you the train journey got me, it was depressing, grey, tragic and long. I also realised if I missed the last train I would be stuck miles from anywhere in a pretty rough neighbourhood. So I passed on it and I'm glad I did as things worked out well in the end.

Sometimes it's best to keep things simple, you can always improve on your own anyway and working at home gives you enormous control and low overheads. Not an embarrassing situation at all, an education experience.

Onwards and upwards Wim!

King Willy

p.s. Barry3, Barry3 can you hear me?

Last edited by William Bowden; 22nd November 2010 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: oh dear spelling, Barry Barry Barry Barry
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
@ thomas , yeah the chicken kept running a long time with her head off ... it was fun catching her .... room was amazing, just getting into a recording-room and large live room made me realize that without a real studio-guy @ the team it would get me in way to much tech trouble , I realized really what my limitations are ... I would loose all what I have now, and prob. some more .... we had a great producer connected to the room though .. and some nice plans ... for sure we will meet again thomas ..

@ da goose , thnx ... sometimes you win more by loosing ... but it's not a game ... I know the plan will get back to me in some day / some other form .. time to slow down ... a man without a plan aint no man ... :-)

@ William ( the king ) .. wow it's nice to have some gentlemans on the board ... time to start thinking on fairman again .... thumbsup. somtimes you have to turn around to find new ways even when it's a 100 times.. looking forward on diging into the mastering with all energy .. still so much rewarding work there and need to grow and find-out/discover ..

feels good to have time ..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search