The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Going Louder (Mixing vs. Mastering)
Old 27th September 2010
Here for the gear
Going Louder (Mixing vs. Mastering)

Hey people, I'm trying to figure out how to make my tracks as loud and in-your-face (Top 40s-style) as possible. I know this is not musically the best choice, but the fact remains...

I'm coming close-ish. I have a track similar to Kesha's "Tik Tok" and I want it to be equally as loud/present. It has been mastered by a trusted friend, but it's still not quite there. Here is my comparison of the two songs:

Mastering

Anyone have any input on whether my mix needs to be better, or the mastering job - or both? I'd say the compression/limiting needs to be pushed harder in the mastering process, but maybe my mix isn't leaving room for that. Thank you for any advice!!!
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This difference is tik tok is distorted, and yours is not.

So just be happy with that yours is plenty loud enough.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It's definitely one of those 'and if the next guy jumped under a bus, would you follow?' type-o-situations.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
It's definitely one of those 'and if the next guy jumped under a bus, would you follow?' type-o-situations.
And it's definitely a "yes" answer.

- c
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Nut

It's more the mix but the master could be better too.
Based on a very quick listen, I'd say the following. Your bassline lacks harmonics and is too quiet. Also your kick is a bit too tubby and lacks high mids. That's why it doesn't seem to respond well to the limiting at all. The problem would probably get even worse when raising the bassline level so either go in and eq the kick heavily or add another layer on top of it or just replace it all together.

Apart from the low end i think your mix sounds pretty good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search