The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering Question
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear
Mastering Question

Do most mastering facilites want material in a dual mono format or a stereo interleaved file?????
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin
Do most mastering facilites want material in a dual mono format or a stereo interleaved file?????
A mastering house wants your 2 track mix the way you mixed it.
IME...most mixes are Stereo....

Old 18th December 2005
Gear Addict

Hi there,

My studio is probably representative of most mastering facilities:

Either is fine, as long as they are labelled correctly. Use the WAV or BWF format if you can, but AIFF or SDII are readable by any decent mastering app.

It should go without saying, but listening to the files and accurately documenting what's in them is just as important.

If you are renaming the files beyond what your DAW did, then make sure that they
are identical except for the 'Left' and 'Right' channel part of the file name.

Hope this helps.

Graemme
Zen Mastering
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Old 19th December 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Honestly, you should call your mastering engineer and find out what their preference is. Better safe than sorry.

Don
Precision Mastering
Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tyler
Honestly, you should call your mastering engineer and find out what their preference is. Better safe than sorry.
I agree, everyone has their own preference.

I know JOHN GOLDEN prefers 24 bit stereo interleaved files.

best

vtone
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear
Unfortunately, I'm still mixing and have no time to look for a facility until I'm near done. I'm located in Athens, GA near Atlanta if you have any ideas. I kinda want to go to Nashville for the project. It's a big project - 28 songs with sounds ranging from Pink Floyd Dark Side to Nirvana In Utero sounds. Very diverse project.
Thanks guys - Matt
Old 22nd December 2005

Verified Member
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm still mixing and have no time to look for a facility until I'm near done. I'm located in Athens, GA near Atlanta if you have any ideas. I kinda want to go to Nashville for the project. It's a big project - 28 songs with sounds ranging from Pink Floyd Dark Side to Nirvana In Utero sounds. Very diverse project.
Thanks guys - Matt
While each mastering house or individual engineer may have his preferences, any pro house will be able to handle dual mono or interleaved with equal ease. One thing mastering houses try to do is to be prepared for a wide variety of sources so that the client can mix to whatever is convenient for them. We can't have every format under the sun in-house as there are just too many throughout history, but we try to have all the major bases covered.
Old 24th December 2005
Motown legend

Verified Member
I like to have people send their projects ahead of the session. The main thing is to leave the mixes in whatever format they were mixed to.
Old 24th December 2005
Lives for gear

slightly OT, but....

Such a nice thread, useful, intelligent, and well-written by all!

Still...

I was so hoping that someone would reply,

"We prefer the original wax cylinders, of course!"
Old 24th December 2005
Gear Maniac

The problem with stereo interleaved is that it will be processed again if imported to pro tools by the mastering facilty. I usually send as 24bit wav with left and right separate. Does this processing do anything to the audio or is it just splitting the files?
Old 24th December 2005
Craneslut

Verified Member
Ask your mastering engineer, but any studio worth their salt will accept files either way...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search