The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best SW mastering limiter? Precision limiter VS L3
Old 6th April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
some people in above posts think UAD Precision limiter is better for softer music...

Which limiter (on Mac) retains maximum transient attack while doing its job?
I'm using software L2, but looking for something that will hold truer to the original sound of what i put in...
Old 6th April 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
In my opinion, that's the Voxengo Elephant 2. But be aware that this is one of the most complex software limiters out there -- lots of tweakability. It may take a while to find the settings that do what you want. But I've had good results with this limiter when transient detail was critical.
Old 20th November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'll stick with Voxengo and its X8 oversampling.
Old 20th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here Tinkal...........

I bit more recent.
Old 13th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Any new thoughts on this topic?

L2
L3
Sonnex
Massey
Slate FG-X
other?
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like Fabfilter Pro-L too.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've already got the L1, L2, L3, L2007 and FG-X. I mainly reach for the L3 and FG-X. Sometimes L2 when I need a more focused sound.
Gotta demo the others.

Is there a reasonable priced hardware limiter that just shames all these plugins?
Old 14th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A focused sound? What does that mean in terms of limiting?

How much GR do you guys aim for?

Is there a better way to take care of peaks rather than limiting them off to the point where you are actually seriously deciding which distortion sounds better?

Or are mixes coming in so hot and abrasive that your only option is to limit so much off the top that it's a worth discussion on which limiters' "transparency" is the most transparent?

Do the best MEs really discuss which limiters are the best?
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
A focused sound? What does that mean in terms of limiting?
I meant that the L2 tends to be more narrow and mid focused than say the L3.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I meant that the L2 tends to be more narrow and mid focused than say the L3.
But what? The transients that you just shaved off, you mean the distortion that's left over has reduced stereo content? .

As far as I get it, a limiter should only process what has been detected over the threshold. Are you saying that the entire signal is processed even if no GR is taking place for some limiters? If that's the case, well then maybe I should be paying attention to these discussions after all.
Old 15th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
But what? The transients that you just shaved off, you mean the distortion that's left over has reduced stereo content? .

As far as I get it, a limiter should only process what has been detected over the threshold. Are you saying that the entire signal is processed even if no GR is taking place for some limiters? If that's the case, well then maybe I should be paying attention to these discussions after all.
Not sure how much of it is coming from the "sound" of the plugin without limiting and how much from the process of limiting, but if I set all parameters equal I hear the difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Is there a better way to take care of peaks rather than limiting them off to the point where you are actually seriously deciding which distortion sounds better?
Yes! Compression well before the mastering stage. Mastering engineers are NOT pushing limiters at all--they use it to catch a couple peaks right before printing the master.

L2 works masterfully when used this way. That's why it was used regularly for over a decade. Debating limiters is indeed quite a waste of time.
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Last night I demoed the Flux Elixir and compared it against the venerable UAD Precision Limiter. I ran another master with the Elixir instead of the P-Limiter. I used High Res and 5 stages with Dynamics.

The results were obvious and a bit startling. The Elixir version was more open in the high end (air) and transients, I could hear more details even in dense BGVs, vs a slight smearing with the PL, the bass was tighter and more controlled too.

This is for acoustic/electric music and not a super dense mix but not sparse either. Not hard rock or other more intense genres, so keep that in mind. I'm listening for fine details, dynamics and musicality, and I'm not going for max loudness.

Needless to say, I bought the Flux Elixir today! It also worked better on the mix too, resulting in a significant improvement overall.
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BTW, I'm only using the aforementioned plugin limiters for reference mixes to clients or demos to pluggers. Still quality and technique matters. But, for records... I remove the limiter, print the mix and trust the professional mastering engineer to what he/she deems best for the project.
Old 16th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Last night I demoed the Flux Elixir and compared it against the venerable UAD Precision Limiter. I ran another master with the Elixir instead of the P-Limiter. I used High Res and 5 stages with Dynamics.

The results were obvious and a bit startling. The Elixir version was more open in the high end (air) and transients, I could hear more details even in dense BGVs, vs a slight smearing with the PL, the bass was tighter and more controlled too.

This is for acoustic/electric music and not a super dense mix but not sparse either. Not hard rock or other more intense genres, so keep that in mind. I'm listening for fine details, dynamics and musicality, and I'm not going for max loudness.

Needless to say, I bought the Flux Elixir today! It also worked better on the mix too, resulting in a significant improvement overall.
Was about to ask what happened to flux elixir as when it came out everybody was ravin about it..
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I remember really liking it last year, but I wasn't into getting an iLok. I got an iLok recently for other plugs, so I thought why not try it again. I'm glad I did. It's much better for the kind of music I'm doing. I don't care about being LOUD.

I've only got a quad MacPro (2006) so I can only mix/master with it at 2 levels and not at High Res, but when I bounce the tracks for a mix or master, I set it full bore. Beautiful results.

Got it for $155 @ Plugin Discounts!
πŸ“ Reply