The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves l2 hardware vs voxengo elephant 3 ? Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Despite my facetious comment earlier, I meant it fairly seriously; I couldn't agree more with all of that. A properly actually genuinely GREAT plugin.
Macc, good ears as always. : )
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
After reading all the replies, particularly Brads and Steves...I have to ask again where the majority dB gain is coming from? 40% pre limiter? 80% pre limiter? Please don't be shy!
Don't know how to quantify it exactly in percentage - but in terms of gain reduction - sometimes there's no limiter at all, sometimes it just hits a few tenths of a dB to prevent occasional overs, most of the time it's around 1 to 2dB's of gain reduction, and there's been occasions where I've had limiters and digital clippers perform even 6dB of gain reduction in spots as well.

Just depends on the track's source, the client's desires for it, and the best way I can figure out to get it to that place.

Quote:
Are you relying on the limiter for majority gain or the processing before it?
Usually a good deal before of tweaks happen before it hits the limiter.
For dealing for requests for "loud" it usually is a combination:
* balancing the spectrum - with mids and upper mids possibly moved slightly forward
* possibly some analog compression
* possibly some analog saturation (I like pushing into the transformers on the output stage of my Focusrite 330 mk1 - even when I have its compression bypassed - for this)
* possibly some small amount of clipping at the ADC
* possibly some amount of digital clipping
and then finally:
* usually some amount of digital limiting

Quote:
If one relies on the L2 for just a bit of limiting I find it very transparent and distortion is not an issue. (Using L2 software, but the hardware should null. Also using one for right and one for left) That's why I can't hear the L2's sound. Of course among it's "popular" use, the L2 gets pushed way beyond what one person here mentioned...-2db gain, and hence "the L2 sucks brand XXX is so much better."
Agreed. People shouldn't get me wrong - there's been some great sounding albums mastered in the past that used the L2 - and there continues to be some great sounding ones made these days using it as well.

The question though is if a limiter exhibits less artifacts when it is pushed relative to another limiter if whether when it is not pushed if it will exhibit less artifacts as well. My initial thoughts are the answer is yes, but it's probably something that's probably worth more looking into to confirm this for exact instances.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I live by one rule!

There are no rules!

All program material is different and no one should forget that by falling into the "no more than 1db" etc.

Even the most experienced mastering eng doesn't know exactly what a mix will do until they try N cut it!

They may have an idea but there are always surprises in store!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search