The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Scanning problems sending 1/4 inch master to the US?
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Scanning problems sending 1/4 inch master to the US?

Hi
I,m seeking info on sending a 1/4 inch master to the U.S from the U.K
Is there a problem with this getting scanned.?
The mastering guy said to write on it "not to be scanned" but Fedex are saying everything gets scanned about three times en route.
Can the audio really get damaged in this way?
Or will i have to take it myself which will be pricey as its L.A
Thanks!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmoore View Post
Hi
I,m seeking info on sending a 1/4 inch master to the U.S from the U.K
Is there a problem with this getting scanned.?
The mastering guy said to write on it "not to be scanned" but Fedex are saying everything gets scanned about three times en route.
Can the audio really get damaged in this way?
Or will i have to take it myself which will be pricey as its L.A
Thanks!
The fed ex guy is probably thinking of a bar code scan (tracking - shipping).
Where the mastering guy is probably thinking x ray scan (security).
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Neither X-ray scanners nor infrared bar code scanners will harm the tape or its signal. That's only a concern with optical film stored in plastic cans.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
Neither X-ray scanners nor infrared bar code scanners will harm the tape or its signal. That's only a concern with optical film stored in plastic cans.
It's the powerful magnets used to focus X-rays and not the rays themselves that are the issue, but I'm not aware of an analog tape being damaged by them.

The field decreases rapidly with distance, so you if were to pack the tapes with, say, 6 inches space around them it's extremely unlikely that exposure to nearby fields would be a problem.

Extreme temperature is a bigger issue.

DC
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Reminds me of a story I heard from the late Dennis Tallakson of Magnafax. They made cassette dupers and a few other ancillary audio devices. He got a call from someone at a small town post office saying their conveyor belt had broken. Turns out they bought a Magnafax belt degauser at auction and had been using it in the post office for years.

DC has the best answer. And don't forget to make safety copies!

GR
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Head

Magnetic Tape shipping

Only use FedEx. Use the quickest shipping option available.

Ship only on a Mon, Tues, or Wed.

If shipping more than one tape, single bubblewrap each tape box.

Mark on all exposed sides of the shipping box "Magnetic Media - DO NOT XRAY" "O.K. For Hand Inspection"

During the FedEx shipping label set up make sure to arrange for a shipping and delivery email for both yourself and the destination.

Best of luck with the project.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orbit Room View Post
Only use FedEx. Use the quickest shipping option available.

Ship only on a Mon, Tues, or Wed.

If shipping more than one tape, single bubblewrap each tape box.

Mark on all exposed sides of the shipping box "Magnetic Media - DO NOT XRAY" "O.K. For Hand Inspection"

During the FedEx shipping label set up make sure to arrange for a shipping and delivery email for both yourself and the destination.

Best of luck with the project.
Good advice

We had some labels made up in BRIGHT orange that say basically what you are saying and we use to use them when we sent tapes out.

Most post offices use magnetometers when they are scanning packages along with XRAYs. If you are shipping something that is magnetic it is a good idea to let the post office know and also let them know that they can hand search the package. I am not sure what else is done to packages today and when I went to see our local postmaster he said that information was not available for the general public. I guess they don't want the potential terrorist to know what they are doing.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
I recently had a client who sent me some 1/2" tapes, each inside a "Static Shield Bag". You can order them online - can't hurt to put each tape inside one.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster Alex View Post
I recently had a client who sent me some 1/2" tapes, each inside a "Static Shield Bag". You can order them online - can't hurt to put each tape inside one.
Static electricity isn't a problem, and I would be more concerned with condensation inside a sealed bag.

DC
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Oh Well theyve gone now ..sent them via fedex and hopefully they will arrive in California safe and sound.
I did speak to Mike at ATR and he mirrored what Dave Collins said about leaving a bit of space in the packing.
It seems that EVERYTHING no matter what these days gets x rayed but MIke said that the risks are very low
IHope!
Can you sense the slight worry and paranoia in between the lines.
Why didnt i just get it mastered in the U.K?!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search