The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cut everything below......??? Equalizer Plugins
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No probs chief

Personally I choose a HPF (or not) based on what it does to the rest of the stuff I am hearing, rather than trying to get little bits of headroom back. Generally saggy low ends often get better with MinPh, just chopping crap off the bottom is probably a LinPh job, but generally I leave it alone. Mind you, the Gyratec has a gentle built in roll off below about 50 or so, which can be just the ticket for saggy bottoms.

Then there's which HPF to use, another thing to consider, sometimes the UAD precision EQ (which gets a bad rep round here really) HPF is perfect, sometimes LP10's felxible shape and variable phase is the one... but usually it's nothing.

Horses for courses innit
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

As with most things, this is a balancing act. But as a general rule, the shallower the filter, and the lower the resonance on it, the higher up you can have it without things sounding weird.

At 20 hz, you can go for a 48db/octave, or as close as you can get to a brick wall with your equipment without normally encountering any problems.

If you're going for something between 40-80, then a 12-24/db/octave one with a bit of resonance on the lowest notes can give you a tight, punchy low end.

Or if you want something a little unusual, a 6db/octave one can sometimes be put up to 200-500hz to really lighten up a muddy track, allowing you to get high perceived volume without the low end disappearing at some arbitrary point, and relatively little phase shift. As usual, it's a matter of figuring out what works best for an individual song.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Yes, there is no room for humour in mastering, i should know,
added a bongo track to some songs the other day, apparently not ok!?
ha !
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

It´s up to the song, style.... but I wouldn´t say this is a rule, even more, I find myself adding one or two db in 48 Hz with my analog eq (when it´s necessary) a lot of times!!! This days of DAW the lows aren´t firm and punchy as before, so a good analog boost in lows (yes even in 40 or so) helps a lot.

Greetings
Old 7th April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Another mastering myth!

no shortage of these!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search