The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
myths in mastering audio Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Anyone with "mastering" gear and a "mastering" website is a mastering engineer.
This is everywhere. Same for some dude who makes beats on kr*cked software being a 'prodoosa'. Also true of people who get such gear, I mean really impressive stacks of it. To show off, lit up like Christmas trees on their websites. In studios paid for with trust funds, who can't mix or master. There is no shortcut around experience.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Not calling anyone anything but it does seem strange that so many people on this board are busy when there also seems to be a lot of midrange mastering places here in the US that are either going out of business or seeing their clientele dwindling to the point they can no longer stay in business. Maybe it is a regional thing. Who knows. Not trying to say that anyone is lying or misrepresenting the fact but... it is interesting. Hope you are having a GREAT day!
I think you'll find the "midrange" places do better.......they are the ones who seem to provide the best bang for the buck in terms of the gear / room / personel package........

As I recall even before the sub-prime debacle your crystal ball was showing armageddon even then........

Cheer up mate.......everything is GREAT!!!!
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
I must be a little guitar-centric?

But not just any guitarist, The Guitarist.
Hi, JT. You reminded me of a scene from two of Australia's great modern comics, Lano & Woodley:
"I had a dream, and I saw my animal spirit. It was... the aconda."
"Um, Frank, I think you mean Anaconda."
"No no. It wasn't just anaconda, it was THE aconda."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe
and there are more and more "mastering engineers" than anytime in history.
Hi Tom, there's more and more of everything than in any time in history. Except car spaces.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Biggest myth of all is how so many mastering engineers can be so successful when in point of fact the need for mastering seems to be going away very quickly and there seems to be more and more people who don't get their stuff mastered or do it themselves and there are more and more "mastering engineers" than anytime in history.

Something just doesn't add up. heh
Well ... I've never been more busy here, or more successful by worldly measure. Do they give an actual Grammy statue for mastering the Best Alternative Album and Group Rock Vocal Performance? I know Art Direction is probably out ...
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There's a Grammy Award for Best Album Notes...

Nominees And Winners | GRAMMY.com
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Hi, JT. You reminded me of a scene from two of Australia's great modern comics, Lano & Woodley:
"I had a dream, and I saw my animal spirit. It was... the aconda."
"Um, Frank, I think you mean Anaconda."
"No no. It wasn't just anaconda, it was THE aconda."

Hi Tom, there's more and more of everything than in any time in history. Except car spaces.
Delayed reaction.... But I finally got it!

When you're 56 years down the highway it just takes a wee bit longer.

Funny but "The Guitarist" could be any of about two dozen guys for me.

Yes with close to 7 billion folks on the blue planet now, there's more of everything... more or less.

Cheers, JT now back to yer regular programming.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Well ... I've never been more busy here, or more successful by worldly measure. Do they give an actual Grammy statue for mastering the Best Alternative Album and Group Rock Vocal Performance? I know Art Direction is probably out ...
Great! I am glad you are doing well. I hope it continues into the foreseeable future. You have a GREAT website, a great room, great equipment and are very good at self promotion. I really like the video vignettes you have up on your site. It really personalizes your approach to mastering and what you can do for a client.

Continued best of luck!
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post

Yep you are sooooooo correct as usual. Parking in our town is terrible with no hope for any relief anytime in the near future. Too many students with cars, a land locked downtown with no place to expand and more and more people driving in from other cities to enjoy the "small town" atmosphere (which with all the cars is no longer the case)

As to "more mastering engineers than anytime in history". Sometimes having more of something is not so good. I love good food but too much makes can make one fat.

As to mastering...too many people doing "mastering" means, I think, less work for everyone. As someone once said on this forum "cream rises to the top and sh!t sinks" so I guess all the mastering engineers who are doing so well are like the cream that rises to the top while the others that are not doing so well sink to the bottom like sh!t. Those in the middle continue to do what they can do to make a decent living and have fun doing it.

I think mastering as we all knew it in the late 80's and early 90's is probably never going to be that way again. Record companies budgets are way down because they are really hurting and trying to pinch pennies where they can. Musicans are putting up their music directly to the WWW bypassing mastering altogether. Lots of musicians are trying to do everything themselves including mastering. Some are even going so far as to duplicate, print and shrink wrap their own CDs if they produce them at all. Every recording studio I know now offers "mastering" as part of their services. People with a set of computer speakers, some cracked software and a bedroom studio are putting up websites on the WWW promising mastering for $5 a song. It is not the same profession it was a couple of years ago.

My company has never been busier. We are providing lots of different services as we diversify and evolve. My first love will always be mastering with a client in attendance at a session but doing, just that, no longer pays the bills. We are setting up an FTP site and completely redoing our website.

We live in interesting times...
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
... and the Grammy for best mastering website goes to...
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
... and the Grammy for best mastering website goes to...
Thats a good one Chris, I suspect you and Dave are the Martin and Lewis of Sterling.

sh
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmasterer View Post
Thats a good one Chris, I suspect you and Dave are the Martin and Lewis of Sterling.

sh
Abbott and Costello
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
It's not luck. I'm very, very good at this job. The rest of it is just PR that would mean absolutely nothing without making people more than happy ... but inspired to tell others.
You are correct. It is being in the right place at the right time with the right tools to do the job others need. It is finding your niche and fulfilling the needs of others. It is doing a good job everyday and promoting that fact to others on a daily basis. What ever you are doing it is working for you.

Some words of advice. Smile more when you write and don't take offense at everything that anyone says to you. I think we all know the old adage 'You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar' heh

FWIW and YMMV
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Abbott and Costello
The Smothers Brothers.
Chris is Tommy.

Dave
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
The Smothers Brothers.
Chris is Tommy.

Dave
It's not my place to dispute you here Dave and please forgive me......I'm just a 5th level engineer......but I would have said Ren & Stimpy......
Old 17th February 2011
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You eeeediottt
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
You eeeediottt
You bloated sack of protoplasm!
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
As a side note, I've had many enjoyable times recording Billy West, the voice of Ren and Stimpy. Not only is he a mind blowing voice talent, but a super talented singer and guitar player.

Dave
Old 18th February 2011
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
we all know how much cooler you are then the rest of us, stop rubbing it in :(
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
As a side note, I've had many enjoyable times recording Billy West, the voice of Ren and Stimpy. Not only is he a mind blowing voice talent, but a super talented singer and guitar player.

Dave
Did he ever wear the Powder Toast Man outfit and bring in a Log?
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Didn't John Kricfalusi do Ren for the first (and best by a zillion miles) series?

Ahh, memories...
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Didn't John Kricfalusi do Ren for the first (and best by a zillion miles) series?

Ahh, memories...
You are correct Bob.......it was once Nickleodeon got involved that the rot set in.........
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
'No sir, I didn't like it'
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthebear View Post
You are correct Bob.......it was once Nickleodeon got involved that the rot set in.........
The original Ren and Stimpy series.

Strange twisted humor, but ~very~ entertaining.

Nowadays similar dynamic duo enjoyment from Frank & Mike on American Pickers.

JT
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I guess we know who the weed smokers are now.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Srsly. Props to Mr. Lucey. Brothers was definitely my favorite record of 2010.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmchenry View Post
Brothers was definitely my favorite record of 2010.
Well ... it was a great record when I got it. Great music, great mixes. Just happy to be a cog in their wheel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search