The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
myths in mastering audio Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaster View Post
Jay, would it be too much to ask that postings (especially the know-it-all kind) be limited to folks who have at least one credit on albumcredits.com? Just one teensy-weensy credit? Is that too much to ask?
what are you trying to turn this into David? a pro mastering forum or something? get with the program mate!
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Hi Darwin.

First let me tell you what I don't like about Brian's master: the exaggerated bass and treble are unpleasant. Bass wise the song is just tiring, treble wise some strong syllable parts are ruined and continuously it's also tiring. The overall distortion bothers me and the dynamics are exhausting/fatiguing. The "body" of the vocals is too "thin" for my taste, mid frequencies need more emphasis for a more natural/pleasant overall feel.

I'm not saying it's a bad master at all, it's definitely above avarage. I am saying that I much prefer my master.
Oh I forgot. I like this master. Cool man.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
My Apologies, I meant to quote :

I don't believe this, of course there can be incremental improvements in equipment and ability, this is a very personal sense of choice and development which will vary for every M.E. I think. The old cliche of "You never stop learning." is a valid one.

Kaput you have been both anonymous and insulting so please do not expect forum friendship at this point. You can still be aged and ignorant.

Ronnie Wood is a really nice bloke and it was honour to work with him and a great guitarist on top. (worked with him 3 times). I have worked with some excellent musicians in my time so far and still do.

I knew Darwin would pleased with his master, he has every right to be.

And as far as beating up, there's nothing to beat up, I am pretty thick skinned and when you know you are great at your job it just bounces off.

All the best to you to Mr Salt, keep on a cutting those discs !
I don't want to be predantic or anything, but you need to address your signature.

"..because actions speak louder than words." , your missing the be

I can see why you have it as "cause" but, you'd be better off having it as " 'cos ". The way you have it looks like bad english as the sentence has no meaning.

I'm dyslexic so my spelling and wordsmithing does, at times, suffer...but you need to change that.

all the best
IIIrd
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I don't see anything much in this thread. Dunno what you're on about Mr. Palmer

OT - the ignore list is great. Not that this has any bearing on my misreading of the thread. Honest guv.
I work on it
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Pedantic can be very important at times.

Thanks for pointing it out IIIrd.

I know some very intelligent dyslexic people.

In fact your the IIIrd. ; )
There are many more.
I see I spelt pedantic with a silent r
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
all right chaps, that's enough!
will you stop ?
or should I listen to Macc's advice?
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I mastered the file this morning (without listening to the BG master) and have sent a section to DJ.I am sure he is very happy with the BG and has every right to be! (Standby for a Yousendit link later today)
Link?
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
They had both played with drummer Cozy Powell,, but I'm guessing that's not it...
Good guess but what I was thinking is medical. Jeff had an accident (kitchen, not like Tony industrial) and sliced a big tip off one of his fingers while making that album. He says you can hear it in some of the solos. I doubt that.

Some odd tracks on this new album I think but he has never been a same old **** person.

SB
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresperros View Post
all right chaps, that's enough!
will you stop ?
or should I listen to Macc's advice?
It's lovely here, come and join me!

Old 13th April 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
Oh I forgot. I like this master. Cool man.
Thanks. Feel free to contact me in the future. By the way, very good mixing job.
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Bubbagump: Maybe this was some special case in one way or another? Maybe an unfortunate combination of long playing time and a weird booking/priority policy at the time. Who knows.
Dunno. I am not arguing anyone's point and Chris is of course right. No point in being ridiculous in the mastering process. I was just saying you can get ridiculous ... and Metallica can spend $1 million on recording an album and people have gold plated toilets. Back to my hole.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Thanks. Feel free to contact me in the future. By the way, very good mixing job.
Do you have a website? Blake Eiseman did the mix. I just produced, wrote and performed.
Old 13th April 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
Do you have a website? Blake Eiseman did the mix. I just produced, wrote and performed.
No personal website (I keep postponing), just of projects I'm involved in (e.g. Musepack).
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Masters made in US sounds Larger then European ones,
'cause generally US citizens are bigger, so it has to be reflected on music too
hehhehheh
Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
These days when ppl stop asking for 'de-loudest plugin possible'
will come to the end soon....
Old 13th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside voice
Barry " low cost, free sample" Gardner.
Wow, this one made me register - the suggestion seems to be that providing a free sample to a prospective client is in some way demeaning. Let me assure you, it's pretty valuable to the client. I was prepared to pay significantly more, but the free samples showed me I didn't need to. The best master of the track I sent out was, you guessed it, Barry Gardner. This initial process also gave me an idea of who would be most attentive to my ideas - again that was Barry. In forums, he comes across as geekily obsessed with mastering - that seems to irritate the hell out of some of you, but I'd guess, to clients, these are pretty attractive character traits. For what it's worth, the mastering of my album is now complete and I'm a satisfied customer - for me, he gets an 'A' for effort and achievement!
Al.
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Re: What is mastering: The Myths

Quote:
There are topic about audio myths, audiophile myths, let's have one about mastering...

161.803.399) Mastering is when you play a collection of mixes through effects and recapture the effected mixes and then make a CD-R of them.

tutt

-Laarsø
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfleeman View Post
In forums, he comes across as geekily obsessed with mastering - that seems to irritate the hell out of some of you
I don't think anyone here is irritated by anyone being geekily obsessed with mastering. On the contrary, I'd say that's why we're all here.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
New album out tomorrow...

Amazon.com: Emotion & Commotion: Jeff Beck: Music
Looking forward to this one.
One of our favorite releases last year!

We bought the Vinyl and 4 CD copies (no downloads, only hard copies!)

In a just world it would win Record of the Year at the Grammy's tonight instead of m&m gaga beiber etc...

JT
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
In a just world it would win Record of the Year at the Grammy's tonight instead of m&m gaga beiber etc...
Just go gaga over beiber......and pop a few m&ms while you're at it bro!!!
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthebear View Post
Just go gaga over beiber......and pop a few m&ms while you're at it bro!!!
A guy that never smiles (mnm), I just don't get it.

But I'm not in the target demographic!

I must be a little guitar-centric?

But not just any guitarist, The Guitarist.

Cheers & and Good Vibes headed your direction Bro, JT
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
A guy that never smiles (mnm), I just don't get it.

But I'm not in the target demographic!

I must be a little guitar-centric?

But not just any guitarist, The Guitarist.

Cheers & and Good Vibes headed your direction Bro, JT
Vibes received loud and clear partner......

I think Marshall Mathers rolls in the "I'm laffin' on the inside and frowning on the outside" crew......

Guitarcentricity last time I heard wasn't covered by your health insurance......tune to drop D this evening and call me in the morning......
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
7. Dumping to tape is the best way to get analog distortion
6. Louder mixes mean better loud masters
5. ITB or OTB matters at all
4. 44.1 or 96k matters at all
3. Levels matter at all (assuming no clipping, that's obviously bad news)
2. Compression is a given at mastering

and my personal fave ...
1. Top tier pricing equals best talent and best results.

plus the aforementioned ...
001. Limiting is always a net negative.
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Anyone with "mastering" gear and a "mastering" website is a mastering engineer.
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer View Post
Anyone with "mastering" gear and a "mastering" website is a mastering engineer.
Rick Essig had a great idea for t-shirts saying "I hear.....therefore I am a mastering engineer".
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Rick Essig had a great idea for t-shirts saying "I hear.....therefore I am a mastering engineer".
I have better one -
I am on GS, and have trillions posts - therefore I AM ME))))
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
I have better one -
I am on GS, and have trillions posts - therefore I AM ME))))

Perhaps we can print that on the back.......or make a new line as part of a collection......
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Biggest myth of all is how so many mastering engineers can be so successful when in point of fact the need for mastering seems to be going away very quickly and there seems to be more and more people who don't get their stuff mastered or do it themselves and there are more and more "mastering engineers" than anytime in history.

Something just doesn't add up. heh
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Biggest myth of all is how so many mastering engineers can be so successful when in point of fact the need for mastering seems to be going away very quickly and there seems to be more and more people who don't get their stuff mastered or do it themselves and there are more and more "mastering engineers" than anytime in history.

Something just doesn't add up. heh

I guess it depends on what you define as success......your reality is very different to many others.......so I can understand why you have this distorted view.......that or calling out many people here as blatant liars......
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
I guess it depends on what you define as success......your reality is very different to many others.......so I can understand why you have this distorted view.......that or calling out many people here as blatant liars......
Not calling anyone anything but it does seem strange that so many people on this board are busy when there also seems to be a lot of midrange mastering places here in the US that are either going out of business or seeing their clientele dwindling to the point they can no longer stay in business. Maybe it is a regional thing. Who knows. Not trying to say that anyone is lying or misrepresenting the fact but... it is interesting. Hope you are having a GREAT day!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search