The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wavelab 7 announced, includes Sonnox Restoration DAW Software
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Wavelab 7 announced, includes Sonnox Restoration

Preview - WaveLab 7 :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

that Sonnox deal certainly gives Steinberg an advantage. must have cost them a helluvalot of money to get a stronger foothold in the mastering daw market (if that is the purpose).
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
That video... I was just waiting for those two guys to start making out...
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
indeed, that's the worst and/or most homoerotic video for a piece of audio software I've ever seen. NTTAWWT (sincerely) ... but I almost neurotically shouted "NO NO NO!!" when the guy got down on his knees ... and grabbed the other guy's leg.

Here's hoping there's no sequel where a guy asks "Can it cut DDP?" over and over, as I don't want to see the progression.

Having said that ... Can it cut DDP?

-dave

Attached Thumbnails
Wavelab 7 announced, includes Sonnox Restoration-picture-5.jpg  
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

finally! and i think the video is fun actually..
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
indeed, that's the worst and/or most homoerotic video for a piece of audio software I've ever seen. NTTAWWT (sincerely) ... but I almost neurotically shouted "NO NO NO!!" when the guy got down on his knees ... and grabbed the other guy's leg.

Here's hoping there's no sequel where a guy asks "Can it cut DDP?" over and over, as I don't want to see the progression.

Having said that ... Can it cut DDP?

-dave

Dave, I do know that wavelab 6 offers the ability to cut DDp, but you have to purchase an expensive 3rd party plugin for it. I'm not sure what's changed in 7 in this regard.
I wonder if there will be an upgrade price for 6 owners?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

YES!
Been waiting for exactly that for years!
Mac & serious restauration plugins.
And DDP!
nice GUI
The DIRAC 2.2 sounds good.

Well done PG!
Could need it tomorrow...
Old 24th March 2010
Fhl
Lives for gear

woaw, I'm shocked. That's the worst video I've seen in a long time. Even Microsoft is better than this.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear
What the hell was that!?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

hmmm ... hopefully they didn't have to PAY for that ad

Still ... is this just WaveLAB 6 with some new plugins ?!?!?

I guess we have till the 2nd half of '10 to find out.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

It appears this version of Wavelab will be heavily promoted to wards Apple users.

As a Windows user that will never port to Mac, I will wait until more information in regards to features are available before upgrading.

Cheers!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Goofy video notwithstanding, I'm very interested in this... especially with the Sonnox Restoration. Will it be pricey, or a semi-crippled "lite" version of the Sonnox? I suppose we could expect the plug-ins might only work in WaveLab, but that'd be okay with me, if it saves a grand or better.

OTOH, I don't really need another editor or more restoration tools. But, I have all the other Sonnox plug-ins, except for these. I've pretty much been working exclusively with them, to the point that most of my other similar plug-ins are dormant. Basically, I don't have to fiddle around trying others.

Anyway, It looks like there are a couple different versions of WaveLab 6, and a decent crossgrade deal. People have been talking about a Mac version for a long time. I guess I'll just continue to be patient and see how it unfolds. I'm not on 10.6 yet, either. It'll be nice to have a new option.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

Maybe this will help a bit. Only in german, sorry..

Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
booh ... doing a HPF @ 40Hz on those NS10 ..... crazy ...

but NICE ddp support & sonnox .....
interested in the dither options ...

prices ????
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
booh ... doing a HPF @ 40Hz on those NS10 ..... crazy ...

but NICE ddp support & sonnox .....
interested in the dither options ...

prices ????
Wim, don't you know that all MEs HPF at 40Hz?
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Addict

I'm not really excited about the sonnox plugins, these will probably stay unused by many mastering engineers (who really does much restauration/denoising?) but you still have to pay for them. I also don't get the concept behind integrating them in the way they did. It would have made alot more sense to integrate the other sonnox plugins aswell (esp. eq and compression) and put everything into a nice unified GUI (pre-layed out mastering channel/buss strip in addition to the usual plugin inserts) to make the use of those including automation really fast and intuitiv. As a side effect that would also make the use of hardware controllers alot more attractive (for example the cc121). I had higher hopes for the new Wavelab but in todays world it's not really a necessity and the whole application seems a bit outdated. I can work alot faster in reaper especially with complex routing setups and i've been a wavelab user since version 3.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Still hoping for better external input/output routing than in WL 6, so that
I can add both Weiss DS1 and Manley Vari-Mu into the inserts slots.

Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
Still hoping for better external input/output routing than in WL 6, so that
I can add both Weiss DS1 and Manley Vari-Mu into the inserts slots.

You might be better off switching to Reaper and doing the pre-mastering there. Then use Wavelab to assemble the CD. The routing, especially for external gear, is light years ahead of anything else in Reaper. Unfortunately fades and such are light years after most of the competition so if you do a lot of very careful fades before final processing then you might be better off not going for Reaper. However, workflow wise I find it best to do the fades in Wavelab and dither there.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
hahahah zhat was zo gay!!! lolheh
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
YES!
Been waiting for exactly that for years!
Mac & serious restauration plugins.
And DDP!
nice GUI
The DIRAC 2.2 sounds good.

Well done PG!
Could need it tomorrow...
Can somebody PLEASE confirm if it indeed finally supports DDP (please god be the latest version and not the obsolete 1.0!!)

Cheers!
bManic
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Can somebody PLEASE confirm if it indeed finally supports DDP (please god be the latest version and not the obsolete 1.0!!)

Cheers!
bManic
PG (main programmer of WL) said so over on cubase.net I understand that to mean it's included (not optional as before).

Incidentally, does someone want to purchase my Wavelab 4/5/6 DDP option?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

That is awesome news!! heh

.. sorry about your soon to be obsolete, extremely expensive, ddp option for the old wavelab!

Cheers!
bManic
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post

Incidentally, does someone want to purchase my Wavelab 4/5/6 DDP option?
€ 50,-
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
€ 50,-
50 bucks?...which truck did that fell off?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I was just kidding and giving robin some real-value for his investment in software ....
but then again, I bet he made some decent money with it ..... so it's all paid for ...
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
The routing, especially for external gear, is light years ahead of anything else in Reaper.
Can you describe how the Reaper routing is advantageous for mastering? I don't see how it could be much simpler than the current WL6, but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

GR
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just kidding and giving robin some real-value for his investment in software ....
but then again, I bet he made some decent money with it ..... so it's all paid for ...
Indeed! It was expensive but it served me extremely well for many years... I have no grief about eventually selling it for 50 Euro or so
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Heh...that video ruled.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'll repost the bit I've put at Brad Blackwood forums.

Quote:
I spoke with the guy from Steinberg yesterday and he showed me the alpha version of WL7. He told me that WL7 is a completer rewrite because of the Mac support. So that is why it took them quite some time. Release was expected Q3/Q4 2010 so it will take some more time to finish.
DDP is included indeed so thats a plus. Also a new timestretch engine. You can arrange a 2nd display (for on a 2nd monitor) with meters/gauges any way you like. They included the sonnox restauration plugins as well (almost forgot that).
So all in all not a lot of new stuff so personally I think its more like a 6.5 version that runs in Mac as well.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
Can you describe how the Reaper routing is advantageous for mastering? I don't see how it could be much simpler than the current WL6, but I might be missing something.

Thanks,

GR
You are right. In essence it is quite similar to WL6 but if you need more complex chains like multiple AD-DA loops you'll quickly run out of slots in wavelab.

You have a "plugin" (ReaInsert) which is basically an i/o block that you can place anywhere within the project. The cool thing is, it has this auto-latency compensation thing which sends an impulse through the whole chain and compensates accurately for all latency, including ad/da conversion, no matter how complex the chain is.

You can use the ReaInsert inside any of the internal routings/multi-channel track thing of reaper meaning you can very easily create a multiband compressor/processing chain out of any of your hardware units. All sample accurate. It's also extremely simple to change the order of processing on the fly (this can be done in Wavelab too though).

It is a while since I tried routing anything outside from within WL6 but I recall having some issues with precise latency and such.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm going to have to give Reaper another look. In the meantime, it was mentioned on KVR that Sonnox Restoration plug-ins to be included with WaveLab 7 would be "lite" versions. My excitement has waned... still a little interested, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search