The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second mastering equalizer ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 23rd March 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Second mastering equalizer ?

Hello Slutz,

I know there's already a LOT of thread on that purpose, but I definitely NEED HELP HERE !!

I have the SPL PASSEQ, wich I like very very much, as my "main" Mastering Eq, otherwise use Algorithmix RED or Apulsoft (quite Amazing) for more surgical task.

I would Like to purchase a new "analog Baby", to get something else..

But the thing is that a REALLY don't know what to buy now, cause the Passeq is really good on broad band eq, without TOO MUCH color, very...sweet and clean actually.

I was looking to the Manley MP, but I'm afraid it can be "quite" in the same league than the Passeq so...

As well I'm not sure of the more neutral kind of Eq like MEA 2 or NSEQ 2 since the Linear phase seems to complete that job already, isn't it ?

Any tips from Mastering engineer outthere ?

BTW here is a picture of my actual setup



Thx for your answer

Adrien.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DrSax's Avatar
How about a Great River MAQ-2NV... A great unit!
Old 23rd March 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
How about a Great River MAQ-2NV... A great unit!

aaa...was highly considering this one !

Would you say it has any color ? In the same league then the Gml 8200 maybe ?

Very interested in some more thoughts about this one !

thx for answering
Old 23rd March 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Some more idea ?
Old 23rd March 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Virtalahde's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Knif Audio Etip EQ

What are those red 1HE things on your left rack?
Old 23rd March 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
Knif Audio Etip EQ

What are those red 1HE things on your left rack?
Wow, that must be one very good mastering eq, with MS function..mmm

Thanks for that, going to contact them for more detail on pricing etc...

Those red stuff are : SPL Loudness Maximizer and SPL Spectralizer, digital high end from SPL, 48khz only, but what a sound, stunning devices !

thx again for the tip !

Please if you have any other idea, feel free to give your answer, its MUCH appreciate
Old 23rd March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Transistor's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Well, if you're looking at the MP but can't afford it, how about the Mini-Massive? It can be very colorful if you want to, or clean and nice, all at the flick of a switch. I love mine.

r,
j,
Old 23rd March 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
gregor z's Avatar
 

Verified Member
As a SPL Pass EQ owner/user, I would think about Crane song Ibis or Summit/Neve Elemnt 78....they compliment each other very well....

I think that you need more of a peak type Eq to cover the areas that Pass EQ can't....

Maybe you should look into old german broadcast modules ala BFE Filtek...


But that just me....heh

Gregor
Old 24th March 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
Well, if you're looking at the MP but can't afford it, how about the Mini-Massive? It can be very colorful if you want to, or clean and nice, all at the flick of a switch. I love mine.

r,
j,
Thx for answering

Actually I could afford to reach the masspass, but I was also interested in the minimass, are the pots "strong" and not to "supple/soft" when turning them ?

The switch you're talking about is the transformer switch right ?

So...what about 2 MINIMASSIVE ??? So as to have a 4 band MINIMASSIVE ?
Old 24th March 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
As a SPL Pass EQ owner/user, I would think about Crane song Ibis or Summit/Neve Elemnt 78....they compliment each other very well....

I think that you need more of a peak type Eq to cover the areas that Pass EQ can't....

Maybe you should look into old german broadcast modules ala BFE Filtek...


But that just me....heh

Gregor
Hello Gregor,

The Ibis is unaffordable for me cause I would go on the mastering version, and that's too much for me I'm afraid...

But what are your thoughts on the Summit neve element 78 ?

I'm very interested in this one too !
Old 24th March 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
As well I'm not sure of the more neutral kind of Eq like MEA 2 or NSEQ 2 since the Linear phase seems to complete that job already, isn't it ?

Any tips from Mastering engineer outthere ?
In my experience the strength of the NSEQ-"f" (with the solid state forssell mod & no tube path) is its cleanliness plus its degree of phase shift - very musical.

Then again, for shaping and proportional Q, something like the API 5500 (which I've not tried) or the the API 550m mastering EQs (which yesterday happened to be my "go to" EQ), might be the go.
Old 24th March 2010
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Thx for answering

Actually I could afford to reach the masspass, but I was also interested in the minimass, are the pots "strong" and not to "supple/soft" when turning them ?

The switch you're talking about is the transformer switch right ?

So...what about 2 MINIMASSIVE ??? So as to have a 4 band MINIMASSIVE ?
2 Mini Massive's? YES. God I love that equalizer. The thing is extremely good. The pots on this box are GOOD, but the sound of this box is BETTER.

2 of them make me moist in the panties.

But you owe it to yourself to try the Massive Passive.
Old 24th March 2010
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
How about a Great River MAQ-2NV... A great unit!
This one is a platnum screwdirver with untarnashable finish.
Old 24th March 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Transistor's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Thx for answering

Actually I could afford to reach the masspass, but I was also interested in the minimass, are the pots "strong" and not to "supple/soft" when turning them ?
I'd call them 'sweet' Well, I guess they're supple, but you do get a full turn on them (cut/boost is on a switch) so you have more than enough bite for anything you throw at them. I very rarely go beyond 12 o'clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
The switch you're talking about is the transformer switch right ?
Yep. Secret weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
So...what about 2 MINIMASSIVE ??? So as to have a 4 band MINIMASSIVE ?
Well, that's something _I_ can't afford heh (I'm looking for a vari-mu to complement my 1968.)

r,
j,
Old 24th March 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
This one is a platnum screwdirver with untarnashable finish.

ooops ! 'Scuse my english, but What do you mean ?!?

Love it or Hate it ?

thx

Adrien.
Old 24th March 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
In my experience the strength of the NSEQ-"f" (with the solid state forssell mod & no tube path) is its cleanliness plus its degree of phase shift - very musical.

Then again, for shaping and proportional Q, something like the API 5500 (which I've not tried) or the the API 550m mastering EQs (which yesterday happened to be my "go to" EQ), might be the go.

Thx a lot For answering Adam,

And yes of course I had the API in mind as well, but It seems that I should have them modified to have an 0.5 DB gain step for Mastering, and I'm not sure to find somebody who can do that in France unfortunately...

But definitely, I think you can't really go wrong with the sound of an API unit, that's true.
Old 24th March 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
dietrich10's Avatar
I have the Great River MAQ and I do not find it colored much. But that is compared to my other EQs which two are very colored(Siemens+Audioarts).
It is 'cleaner' than my Neumann 495 as well
Old 24th March 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Thx a lot For answering Adam,

And yes of course I had the API in mind as well, but It seems that I should have them modified to have an 0.5 DB gain step for Mastering, and I'm not sure to find somebody who can do that in France unfortunately...

But definitely, I think you can't really go wrong with the sound of an API unit, that's true.
The 5500 comes stock with the ability to have steps at 0.5dB (or with the flip of a switch at 1 or 2dB as well). It also has a better psu and a true hard bypass relative to the 550.
API 5500 Dual 550 EQ's with Range Switch

The 550 can be ordered from API as an "M" (with 0.5 dB steps) rather than a "B" (2dB steps) or "D" (1dB steps). I would contact them directly to see what dealer in France could arrange this for you if you wished these instead of the 5500.

As a secondary eq the API 5500 can work great. It has a relatively aggressive and "large" sound with big solid bottom, an edge on top, and good low mids. Not something that I ever go to for smooth high end bell boosts - but for adding some snap to snare for things like rock a half dB boost at 1.5k with it can be just the ticket. The shelfs are surprisingly useful on it as well. Definitely very worthy of demoing to see if it compliments your current rig - and relatively affordable as well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 24th March 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
One negative aspect with the API5500 which I looked at (not heard) in a shop is that when I pressed one of the white buttons, every button on the front panel moved too (i.e. attached to the same loose PCB). It hardly felt like quality build.
fwiw - both my API 5500 and 2500 are rock solid and do not exhibit this problem whatsoever. Mine were purchased about 4 years ago, and have been working great since then, so I don't know if there were any changes since then, but sounds more like their demo unit has been banged around.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 24th March 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Still looking at ALL Interesting options, did anyone heard the Elysia Museq already ?

Also I guess I'll have a demo of the Massive Passive as soon as possible, definitely want to get my hand on this one...
Old 24th March 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
One negative aspect with the API5500 which I looked at (not heard) in a shop is that when I pressed one of the white buttons, every button on the front panel moved too (i.e. attached to the same loose PCB). It hardly felt like quality build.

I should be hearing one soon actually, I hope it sounds a lot better than it's built. (for a UK list of £2,200.00 the built quality was shameful). Are these manufacturers having a laugh, they must think people will buy any old crap thrown together.

I remember when purchasing My 2500, I had to open it and move a little bit the main alimentation inside cause the on/off button was a little squeezed by it on the side, and wasn't "coming back" properly when switching off the unit...

But I never had any other complaint and I think they're very well build and solid.
Old 24th March 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Still looking at ALL Interesting options, did anyone heard the Elysia Museq already ?

Also I guess I'll have a demo of the Massive Passive as soon as possible, definitely want to get my hand on this one...
I'd be testing the mini massive. Better low end and a good price.
Old 25th March 2010
  #23
Gear Maniac
I just demo'd an API5500 in London yesterday and found the same thing - all of the switches move whenever you press any of them. What a shame as everything else is just excellent with this EQ. I'll probably buy it anyway and then be tempted to open it up to see if I can strengthen the button board...
Old 25th March 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Hello again slutz,

First I'm pleased to see that this thread is going on, that's great thumbsup

After today's session, I started the UAD MASSIVE PASSIVE DEMO, and I was really amazed how good the medium Band sounded ! Really impressive for a plugin. I say "for a plugin" cause after doing some test and trying to match each other with my hardware unit, I steel felt a HUGE difference in "realism", "3D" and "musicality" that the hardware had and the plugin lacked.

Even if this plugin had more possibility in"equing" and still sounded VERY good, it just didn't have that "sweet spot"my Passeq have.

So now I'm really looking forward to try the REAL Massive Passive, must be an INCREDIBLE unit.
Old 25th March 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
So now I'm really looking forward to try the REAL Massive Passive, must be an INCREDIBLE unit.
It is! I have one (with a mod in the master gains) and it sounds awesome.

Bottom end is very warm, if you boost too much it kinda looses definition, becomes "wooly".

Low-mids and high-mids are ridiculously good.

High registers are very good also.

Filters are great, I use them to remove sonic garbage or just for sound sculpting.

If you are after a passive EQ, maybe you should also check the EAR 825EQ.
Old 26th March 2010
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
...So now I'm really looking forward to try the REAL Massive Passive, must be an INCREDIBLE unit.
When you do, be sure you try it unbalanced as well as balanced.
First way of connecting it defeats the transformers, resulting in a slightly cleaner sound.
Old 26th March 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
the unik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuner View Post
When you do, be sure you try it unbalanced as well as balanced.
First way of connecting it defeats the transformers, resulting in a slightly cleaner sound.
Yes, the way the minimassive sound maybe...One thing about this Eq though, I think I will ask Manley compagnie to modify the filters, if it's possible, as they did on the Mastering version, cause still demoing the UAD plugin of Massive Passive, and it seems that the filters may be to "audible" in the regular version...

I know, someone would say : "then, why not buy a mastering version ?", simply because adding nearly 1500 euros here in Europe for the Mastering version seems quite, I said "quite", a lot !

And another question...is there a "master" side when in linked mode ? Could be awsome !
Old 27th March 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Gyraf Gyratec G14 is very sweet, you might find it has some of the same qualities as your passeq and the MP.

So I would take a look at the Dangerous Bax eq too.
Old 27th March 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
dave-G's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I own and love the PassEQ myself ... but I'd more readily describe it as the "2nd EQ". It's strengths are broad strokes, overall sweetening ... more "air and thump" than "+X @ Y, Q=Z". Don't get me wrong, the PassEQ's capabilities reveal their depth the more you use the thing ... but ... It seems to me like you might need a good "first EQ".

A Forssell'ed NSEQ-2 could be just the thing, or a Maselec MEA-2, or a Sontec or a Weiss .. or a ... well, whatever you can afford of that ilk or save up a while longer for to end up with something more versatile for 'primary' duties.

My 2¢ worth anyway.

-dave
Old 27th March 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
After playing with both the prototype and the production model I'd say to get the new Dangerous Bax EQ... simple box that is a BIG problem solver.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
24-96 Mastering / Mastering forum
48
Alécio Costa / Mastering forum
21
K Livingston / High end
3
elpillo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
Top40Music / Mastering forum
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump