The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second mastering equalizer ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
After playing with both the prototype and the production model I'd say to get the new Dangerous Bax EQ... simple box that is a BIG problem solver.
How would you characterise the difference between the two, Larry?
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
I own and love the PassEQ myself ... but I'd more readily describe it as the "2nd EQ". It's strengths are broad strokes, overall sweetening ... more "air and thump" than "+X @ Y, Q=Z". Don't get me wrong, the PassEQ's capabilities reveal their depth the more you use the thing ... but ... It seems to me like you might need a good "first EQ".

A Forssell'ed NSEQ-2 could be just the thing, or a Maselec MEA-2, or a Sontec or a Weiss .. or a ... well, whatever you can afford of that ilk or save up a while longer for to end up with something more versatile for 'primary' duties.

My 2¢ worth anyway.

-dave
This answer is very informative, and well, sum up the real problem I have, thx a lot !

Yes it's true, but now I think the ONLY way for me to make a decision, is...TO TRY THEM ALL !!!! arrrggg !!

Right, I think i'll go have a demo of a lot of them, and then choose.

Things seems to get more clear for me now though, I need something that can eq to fix, but with a BIG and STRONG CLASSY sound of a real HARDWARE Unit, not like the Passeq wich is really more of a COLOR BOX, that's right.

I searched for the DANGEROUS UNIT, as some of you adviced (cheers guys !) but it seems to be a BROAD and WIDE Eq, a little bit the same as my Passeq wich is, I assure you, VERY BROAD, so I don't think I will go that way.

Definitely Hesitating between 3 Main Unit now :

MASELEC MEA 2

GREAT RIVER MAQ 2

MANLEY MASSIVE PASSIVE

Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
How would you characterise the difference between the two, Larry?
Hi Nigel, I posted this over at Pro Sound Web yesterday...

They just finished production on the first batch. Bob is out of the country but will be back next week at which time I'm to contact him for one for review. They should be shipping shortly.

It's funny as I like the prototype for certain applications and I like the production models for others. Chris feels the same way. The only thing different about the design (besides the production model having more features... love the hi and low cut filters) is the stepped attenuators on the production model as a opposed to the variable on the prototype. That feature alone makes the two units sound different from one another. Not being a gear designer I would never think this to make such a difference in the sound... but it does.

The production model is more accurate and "true" to the sound source... the prototype is a tad warmer and adds a bit of musicality to the source. I could hear the distortion in the guitars easier with the production model, loved how it handled drums and low end in general. However I prefer the top end on the prototype, more smooth. In the end (like Chris) I decided I needed both!

I'll probably get the production model first as Fab has my prototype and I'm going to have to hire "some mussel" to get it away from him...

One last thing... this simple EQ is one of the most useful powerful tools I've ever encountered. Many times in mastering we are having to re-balance the mix between the highs, the mids and the low end. This Bax EQ just makes that task so easy to do.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
This answer is very informative, and well, sum up the real problem I have, thx a lot !

Yes it's true, but now I think the ONLY way for me to make a decision, is...TO TRY THEM ALL !!!! arrrggg !!

Right, I think i'll go have a demo of a lot of them, and then choose.

Things seems to get more clear for me now though, I need something that can eq to fix, but with a BIG and STRONG CLASSY sound of a real HARDWARE Unit, not like the Passeq wich is really more of a COLOR BOX, that's right.

I searched for the DANGEROUS UNIT, as some of you adviced (cheers guys !) but it seems to be a BROAD and WIDE Eq, a little bit the same as my Passeq wich is, I assure you, VERY BROAD, so I don't think I will go that way.

Definitely Hesitating between 3 Main Unit now :

MASELEC MEA 2

GREAT RIVER MAQ 2

MANLEY MASSIVE PASSIVE

I can assure you that nothing sounds like or does what the Bax does... unless it's designed as a baxandal EQ. I was comparing these units to the best EQ's on the planet... me want!

I'm also surprised that the REQ 2.2 isn't in there... when I took it down to Masterdisk it certainly gave every EQ in the place a run for the money... it was closest to the Sontecs. Worth a try IMHO. I ended up buying the one I had in for review. No slam against what you are looking at (all are great units) but IMHO it stands above some of those units for sure.

Good luck in your search... I've been through just about every EQ over the years... it's a fun ride and ear opener!
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone;5249676g
I'm also surprised that the REQ 2.2 isn't in there...
The REQ 2.2 is outstanding. I would have mentioned it, but IMO, it would make a better replacement for the PassEQ than a complement to it.

-Dave
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks!
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Curve Bender!
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
The REQ 2.2 is outstanding. I would have mentioned it, but IMO, it would make a better replacement for the PassEQ than a complement to it.

-Dave
Yes I'm afraid of that too, that's why a search a complement EQ to my Passeq.

And BTW the REQ seems unbelivable, but I can't afford it this time...

I'm (still) searching for something more around 4K euros then 6K euros.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Second EQ?

Why not an used Avalon 2055 or a non-mastering version of the Crane Ibis EQ?

What is your budget? U$3500?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hello, thx for answering !

Actually My budget would be a MAXIMUM of 4000 euros, so that's : 5385, 80 dollars !!! (just done a XE for the conversion...)

Waow, in the US I guess I could have a real beasty for that price, but I'm afraid that in europe gears are much more expensive...

Also the Avalon is a good Idea but I tried it already, and...well, it's very nice I think, lot of possibilities, but I was not THAT conviced with the sound of it, FOR MASTERING I MEAN. I'm used to Avalon gear and I enjoy them very much, but more for tracking and mixing. Same with the 747 SP I've just been extensively trying for 2 weeks now. My thoughts on this Unit are : "well that's nice, but I'm not astonished as I was first time I heard my Varimu and Passeq, and API 2500 (the latter is truly amazing, from subttle to slamming, still keeping all the dynamic of the track, but that would be another threadheh)

Crane song IBIS ? Yep, I surely might consider this one as well. Do you have one ? What are your thoughts on this unit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
Why not an used Avalon 2055 or a non-mastering version of the Crane Ibis EQ?

What is your budget? U$3500?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ibis Is great. I picked it in 2008 and I have been pretty satisfied with it.

My second Eq probably will be the Avalon 2055 or the Millenia Ns EQ2.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
As well I'm not sure of the more neutral kind of Eq like MEA 2 or NSEQ 2 since the Linear phase seems to complete that job already, isn't it ?
Algorithmix may complete that job, but since you have on good analog eq, that would be fine to have another IMO. That should really make the difference, when you put 2 analog devices instead of using 1 analog + 1 digital in DAW.

NSEQ2 is very clean even without the modifications. I would recommend it as long as you can get "power" out of your Passeq. NSEQ-2 is clean and sweet but it has no "balls". It all depends on music that you mostly master/produce.

MEA2 is wonderful. But it has color. I've had one some time ago, and I would like to have it again, maybe sometime in the future.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
"NSEQ2 is very clean even without the modifications"

It would be nice if Adam/Jack, DC and other fellows mentioned here the plus of doing the mods with Forsell...
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
"NSEQ2 is very clean even without the modifications"

It would be nice if Adam/Jack, DC and other fellows mentioned here the plus of doing the mods with Forsell...
Cleaner, more "open", "purer" (to the source) than stock solid state mode. And yet more "hi-fi" in its boosts than a Sontec. And rarely needed the tube mode (to the point I barely had experience with it.. I think others have mentioned it could smear things slightly).
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

They just finished production on the first batch. Bob is out of the country but will be back next week at which time I'm to contact him for one for review. They should be shipping shortly.

It's funny as I like the prototype for certain applications and I like the production models for others. Chris feels the same way. The only thing different about the design (besides the production model having more features... love the hi and low cut filters) is the stepped attenuators on the production model as a opposed to the variable on the prototype. That feature alone makes the two units sound different from one another. Not being a gear designer I would never think this to make such a difference in the sound... but it does.

The production model is more accurate and "true" to the sound source... the prototype is a tad warmer and adds a bit of musicality to the source. I could hear the distortion in the guitars easier with the production model, loved how it handled drums and low end in general. However I prefer the top end on the prototype, more smooth. In the end (like Chris) I decided I needed both!

I'll probably get the production model first as Fab has my prototype and I'm going to have to hire "some mussel" to get it away from him...

One last thing... this simple EQ is one of the most useful powerful tools I've ever encountered. Many times in mastering we are having to re-balance the mix between the highs, the mids and the low end. This Bax EQ just makes that task so easy to do.
Hmmmmm interesting!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search