The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spl M/S - Master Analog Processors (HW)
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Spl M/S - Master

Looks pretty nice, especially the filter thing.

SPL introduces the M/S Master

Anyone heard it yet?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It hasn't started shipping - and Musikmesse doesn't start for a couple of days still - so I figure you'd had to have access to a prototype to have heard it already. Maybe someone on this forum who is going to be in Frankfurt can report on it for us.

Anyway - it looks nice, and definitely has more features available than the Dangerous SM - which to me is a bit overpriced relative to what is actually inside of it.

It definitely fulfills a need as there really aren't many options for stand alone off the shelf m/s matrixes (i.e. the AEA one and the ADR Propaks are both discontinued, the older "Panorama" modules from the likes of Telefunken and Lawo are hard to source and tend to be too colored for most mastering chores, and the boards from Pico for building kits using THAT opamps are also currently unavailable).

At this point I'm very happy with the M/S matrix in my Manley Backbone though and will most likely be selling off my pair of modded ADR Propak Audiomates as I haven't really needed them since getting the Backbone.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post

At this point I'm very happy with the M/S matrix in my Manley Backbone though and will most likely be selling off my pair of modded ADR Propak Audiomates as I haven't really needed them since getting the Backbone.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Ditto Steve, and the backbone's not all that pricey considering what you get. I sometimes engage the MS without any spread for the sound it imparts. I must get around to selling my modules too.

The King
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Bowden View Post
Ditto Steve, and the backbone's not all that pricey considering what you get. I sometimes engage the MS without any spread for the sound it imparts. I must get around to selling my modules too.

The King
What about the phase Willy? The phase?
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I am very curious to know the price of this one.
Backbone or Dangerous Master are on my short list already.

If this is $1000 will be hard to resist.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 View Post
I am very curious to know the price of this one.
Backbone or Dangerous Master are on my short list already.

If this is $1000 will be hard to resist.
Dietrich -
If I may make a suggestion - if you're intending to get an analog insert router with a built in M/S matrix - I'd save the cash for a stand alone M/S matrix towards getting the insert router first as you might find (like I have) that the built in one makes the external one redundant.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve for the input.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
What about the phase Willy? The phase?
MS is a phase we all go through from time to time...

The King
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac

any news about the price and the date release???

it's the musicmess no?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post

it's the musicmess no?
I'll ask about it. (2 days left)
A lot of the new stuff that has been presented on the Messe is going to be released Q4 so it has become more or less the default answer by now.

Did try the Transpressor (compressor with transient designer mixed) and it sounded quite transparent. The transient part gives it quite more versatility.

Edit:
Spoke with SPL and they said juli/august it would be released.

I tried it and it's pretty straight forward and easy to use setup. I like it very much that you can pan/balance the center part. The extra bass controls for the side part can be very helpful to get rid of some unwanted low end. Personally I hoped they would add a frequency control for the bass frequency knee (which is fixed at 80 or 100Hz) because I use it quite often to EQ side. But if needed you can use the insert and use an EQ of your liking.

Last edited by fuse; 26th March 2010 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Spoke with SPL
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Maniac

look at this...
YouTube - SPL M/S Master - Musikmesse Frankfurt 2010

but, I don't speak Deutsh so I don't understand about the date release and the price in Euro.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

The guy in the video says:
estimated release date: august
€ 1449 .-
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
The guy in the video says:
estimated release date: august
€ 1449 .-
DAMN!... ... august...
Old 18th June 2010
I just received this:
The Recommended Retail Price is US$1699 (taxes not included).

RECORDING is giving one away this month, a good win for you gearslutz
Old 18th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by achaiss View Post

it's the musicmess no?
The Backbone is a great insert switcher with M/S and parallel comp.
worth it big time.
Old 19th June 2010
Gear Maniac

the backbone is not at same price... and especially for MS process the MS master have more options.

the backbone is a really great unit but not the same as the MS master.
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Curious if anyone has used the DAV S.I.P.P? I believe its a lot cheaper than the SPL or Dangerous???
Old 21st June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
Curious if anyone has used the DAV S.I.P.P? I believe its a lot cheaper than the SPL or Dangerous???
the DAV is a great gear for the price (better than the Dangerous who is really too much expensive) but there aren't as many options on the DAV as on the SPL (I'm talking about filtering options)
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I got one! Yeah!!!
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Looks pretty nice, especially the filter thing.

SPL introduces the M/S Master

Anyone heard it yet?

M/S via software, just seems so convenient and accurate, that doing it via hardware just seems like an extra superfluous step, I need not take..Especially, M/S incorporated in so many of the newer EQ and Dynamic plugs etc.

Saying that though, every time I’ve tried a process, which I thought was sufficient in software has always turned out better in its hardware counterpart. Was hoping M/S would stay better in software, due to the intricacies of the process etc.. and I’ve never heard a hardware version of M/S yet..

KAyo
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I won the SPL Master Mix from recording.org (yeah!) and SPL was in contact with me and will be sending it out to me shortly. I'll let you guys know my thoughts after I get it and have a little time to play with it.
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfuzz View Post
I won the SPL Master Mix from recording.org (yeah!) and SPL was in contact with me and will be sending it out to me shortly. I'll let you guys know my thoughts after I get it and have a little time to play with it.
congrats!

I got it since more one month and it's a really good gear.
include a side filter with frequency options who is very good at the end of mastering a track, just a few to width the track a few more but very subtle.

I'm very happy with it.

Only bad point: I find it breaths a little too much.
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Only bad point: I find it breaths a little too much.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Very excited to get it. Can you explain a little more what you mean by it breathing? I know sometimes its hard to put in words....
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Any user impressions?

The SPL M/S Master has been out a while and I wonder what users think of it?

It's on my radar and I've read the manual, but I'd sure love to hear from some things about it from experience before breaking the piggy bank to get one. In my setup it'd be a nice way to patch in an EQ and compressor. I don't sell a mastering service, I just finalize my own recordings so they sound finished enough for my own clients.
Old 27th December 2010

Got the MS and the Portico stereo editor in the studio right now. Here's my thoughts:

Portico :
Pros
+ Great sound just running through it - it has a "sound"
+ Only needs a little widening to really bring a "record" sound out of it
+ Gives a light polish to the sound (all the Portico stuff does this)
+ Inserts on the "side"
+ Lots of features
Cons
- No insert on "Mid". BIG oversight.
- EQ isn't much use
- "Depth" function is, in real use, not useful.
- no mid placement.
- it has a "sound"

MS Master
Pros
+ Inserts on Mid and Side. Mid is crucial!
+ Floating of stereo signal into Side for mono compatibility. Helps a lot
+ Very good "side" hi pass filter
+ Doesn't have a "sound".
+ Can position Mid
Cons
- Doesn't have an immediate "sound".
- No centre detent on relevant controls - very bad form!!
- very very slightly noisy.
- "Side" control is a bit to wide ranging with only a narrow band actually useful!

Initially I found the Portico to have a more pleasing effect - but it really is a one trick pony. It adds a nice sheen that finishes a mix nicely - but you can't really do a lot with it. The "Depth" control is - apart from a bit of fun - pretty useless. I have found this to be one of the biggest flaws in ALL of the Portico range..... there doesn't seem to be much thought put into what people "want" rather than what they wanted to design. Very good sounding box but includes several rarely used features and missing the really wanted ones .... oh and no "mid" insert was a silly miss. Should have done that and left the EQ and depth control out of it.

The MS was initially disappointing BUT the more you get into it the more useful and friendly it becomes. The lack of centre detente output, side and balance are unforgivable!!! Easy to get side to NOT cancel when it should.... user be wary!

Both units suffer from a very narrow range of "knob" usability and both could have benefitted from talking to potential real world clients..... If I had to choose - the MS.... I'll be keeping the MS just because of the insert on the "mid".

check out the DAV box for a cheaper version. Not tried it but looks good.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Narcoman, thanks for the great writeup! Could you elaborate a little on these:
  • You said the SPL "doesn't have an immediate 'sound'." Is it sterile, transparent, or ... ?
  • Do you think the noise is too much for classical recordings?
Old 28th December 2010

Hi,

I'll have another thorough look at both of them when I get back. I think I'm going to run it up against the DAV box too...... With the pedigree of the guys at DAV I'd be inclined o think that their box may be the right choice for real world recording.

re: the noise on the MS ..... Dunno - it may have been me. I'll have a look again and get right back to you - my gut feeling is "maybe". It's not very noisy but ANY noise in your kind of gig is another issue to be dealt with!

soundwise the MS has that same clear sound that all SPL stuff has. Seems that everything just a tickle of brightness added.... but it is essentially a very "none" sounding unit, in a good way. There IS a subtle element of brittleness in their too.... not much, but it's there.

MichaelP - Would you like to send me a recording and I'll run them through both units?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Narcoman, what a generous offer!

Here's a link to some WAV files you can use. MusicClips4GS

Wouldn't it be nice if the DAV SIPP had mid position control and floating? Even so, I agree that it might be the best option. If it's "sound" is like Mick's preamps it'll be both subtle and nice.
Old 28th December 2010

downloading now. Will do it tomorrow - i'll do a few "various settings" things
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Bumping this to the top to point out one other recently introduced off the shelf M/S matrix that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet: the Avenson Audio M/S - Avenson Audio

Besides encoding/decoding it provides inserts for mid and side, width control, and an optional high pass filter for the side, in a half rack space size with balanced i/o via 1/4" TRS. At $600 street price it could offer a relatively affordable option for those in need of a stand alone M/S matrix.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search