The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New reference headphone monitoring system Studio Headphones
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmman View Post
Frankly I wouldn't use a slow and euphonic otl tube amp for my critical listening sessions.
The HD 800's ask for more.
We have the HD800s here. Rarely use them for anything. Headphones are not for mastering, only for checking.

They would be nice with a little harmonic love, it's not like a high quality tube amp is any less revealing than solid state, that's a myth.

A slow tube amp would not be my preference, but it all depends what you're looking to accentuate and shape with the amp.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
the HD800s are not all that. Ive lived with them for a while. Id say "reference for artificial "etched" hifi sound"
Sorry to resurrect an age old thread, but listening to the recent HD800 S, yes a new version, they sound nothing to me like the original 800.

The original 800 wasn't even as good as the 600 to me. The new ones I think (only listened once so far) probably smoke the 600.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

What's the PRICE on the HPBA-2 S ?
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
With all that fancy technology, they forgot the 1/4" jacks.

DC
My first thought!
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoxSt7 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an age old thread, but listening to the recent HD800 S, yes a new version, they sound nothing to me like the original 800.

The original 800 wasn't even as good as the 600 to me. The new ones I think (only listened once so far) probably smoke the 600.
I own the 600 650, and owned both the plain 800 and the S version, testing them side to side, I decided to keep the S.
I feel the S as more overall balanced. Great for final QC.
Among the dedicated amps I tested, including the Phonitor 2, V281, HDVD 800, and the high end MHA100, with the Sennheiser, especially 800/800s, the best performing driver, in terms of flatness, resolution, transient and flat phase responses is still the HPBA-2, recently upgraded to the rackmount LE version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1GNL View Post
My first thought!
It has been explained in post 4, however it dates back 2010, when the balanced connections were less diffused.
Honestly the 800's sounded better in a totally balanced chain, so I stuck to the balanced connections for my 600, 650 and 800S.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I own the 600 650, and owned both the plain 800 and the S version, testing them side to side, I decided to keep the S.
I feel the S as more overall balanced. Great for final QC.
Among the dedicated amps I tested, including the Phonitor 2, V281, HDVD 800, and the high end MHA100, with the Sennheiser, especially 800/800s, the best performing driver, in terms of flatness, resolution, transient and flat phase responses is still the HPBA-2, recently upgraded to the rackmount LE version.

It has been explained in post 4, however it dates back 2010, when the balanced connections were less diffused.
Honestly the 800's sounded better in a totally balanced chain, so I stuck to the balanced connections for my 600, 650 and 800S.

You must have the golden ears of a child to hear the difference between these both connection methods. It's just wire man...
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I can definitely hear a difference between the Senn stock cable and a better aftermarket cable.
If you can't hear the difference there's nothing I can do about it.
Then just take whatever amp comes in your hand. It's just an amp man...
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can definitely hear a difference between the Senn stock cable and a better aftermarket cable.
If you can't hear the difference there's nothing I can do about it.
Then just take whatever amp comes in your hand. It's just an amp man...
No, because then we're talking about a different design, parts and circuitry.
What we are talking about here, is just another form/ shape of plug, which uses the same materials. Cables though, can make a difference, as the insulation has an influence on the signal's diffusion thorughout the wire - dependent on the length.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What we are talking about here, is just another form/ shape of plug, which uses the same materials.
Wrong. We are talking about different connection modes to the headphones, not just connetors.
The balanced connection is different from the SE in the fact that it uses both phases and not ground.
Re-read post #4 .
Moreover, the HPBA-2 is a current-drive amp, different from the vast majority of headphone amps, which are 'voltage-drive'.
As you may know, in dynamic transducers, it's the current which directly drives the coil/membrane 'piston'.
This, and the hyper revealing nature of the HD800, make this combo superb in any critical listening session.
Obviously you need a serious DAC to complete the chain.

Quote:
... It's just wire man...
- vs-
Quote:
Cables though, can make a difference, as the insulation has an influence on the signal's diffusion thorughout the wire - dependent on the length.
A little contradictory statement.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wrong. We are talking about different connection modes to the headphones, not just connetors.
The balanced connection is different from the SE in the fact that it uses both phases and not ground.
Re-read post #4 .
Moreover, the HPBA-2 is a current-drive amp, different from the vast majority of headphone amps, which are 'voltage-drive'.
As you may know, in dynamic transducers, it's the current which directly drives the coil/membrane 'piston'.
This, and the hyper revealing nature of the HD800, make this combo superb in any critical listening session.
Obviously you need a serious DAC to complete the chain.

i absolutely agree about the hpba2s :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search