The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New reference headphone monitoring system Studio Headphones
Old 23rd June 2011
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if you had the chance to test it with the hd-800.
Thank you.
We did a little headphone shootout today with the Sen 800s, AKG 702s and some Grados (model?). I found the 702 to be the least picky with what amp was driving them. The 800s were pretty impressive on some material, with a wide stereo field, but gave a strange HF with percussive strings. Legato strings were gorgeous. The Grados didn't excite me.
The 702s are not the most exciting sounding, but I think they gave the most natural consistent results in our test.
Old 23rd June 2011
Gear Addict

let's say that the hpba2s is aimed at headphones that have more than
250 ohm.So you can't use it properly with Akg or Grado cans becuase of the low impedence of these cans.
Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are the best match for this amp.
Sennheiser headphones like the hd 600-650 or the hd 800 fit even better
cos you can detached yourself the stock cable and use a balanced one.
You have plenty of choice for aftermarket cables.
Beyer cans have to be carefully modified by a skilled person if you want to use them balanced with the hpba2s.
I think i'll have my dt880 600 ohm modified in balanced configuration.Just want to seriously compare them
with my hd 600.That said this is best headphone monitoring system
i've ever used.highly recommended.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Just wait till you calibrate your headphones to be flat too with carefully adjusted (with sine wave sweeps and much music listening) phase linear EQ. Every time I hit bypass on my setup (with DT-880s \m/) it's stunning the difference it makes.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Just spent the day demoing high end systems. In amongst it all I did a headphone shootout. Personally the HD 650's win out against the coloured HI-FI sound that the H800's have. Nice for listening tho, but too nice IMO

Then I listened to the new Stax SR507.'s Wow! Thats the first time I have heard a headphone that I could master on with confidence. $4000 is a lot, but put it this way. If I have to move into an apartment I will get a pair without hesitation.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Picked up the HD 800, used to own the HD 600 and compared them to the 650s.

HIFI sounding I would not say they are, however if you are not driving them with a very clear source its ruthlessly revealing. In short they are the best headphones I have heard in the price range and simply show whatever is in the mix. They sort of remind me of the Wilson Audio Grand Slams we used to use, compared against the B&W 800d. The 800d being the 650s where they are just ever so slightly more forgiving.

Either way IMHO to call them hifi sounding is not true.
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Addict

i'd like to upgrade my heaphones.Regarding the hd 800 there are too many
differents and mixed opinions especially on audiophile forums.
My choice is between sennheiser hd 800 and beyerdynamic T1.
If you want to share your opinions on both headphones please do.

thanks! heh
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Then I listened to the new Stax SR507.'s [..] $4000 is a lot
Heck yeah that's a lot. I'm seeing them all over the place for about 1 grand. Not 4.

I wouldn't even spend 1 grand without checking out Beyerdynamic T1 headphones, the mothership of their new Tesla technologies.
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

$4000 is for the stax setup. As in the headphones and the toaster sized valve headphone amp. They sounded on par with the focal grand utopia setup in the other room.

As for the Hd 800 they sounded nice but coloured in the highs. Im not so sure that they would show mix flaws to well.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Picked up the HD 800, used to own the HD 600 and compared them to the 650s.

HIFI sounding I would not say they are, however if you are not driving them with a very clear source its ruthlessly revealing. In short they are the best headphones I have heard in the price range and simply show whatever is in the mix. ...

Either way IMHO to call them hifi sounding is not true.
I found the 800 very analytical (I mean it in positive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
...As for the Hd 800 they sounded nice but coloured in the highs. Im not so sure that they would show mix flaws to well.
Uhm, it depends on how you drive them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
...Regarding the hd 800 there are too many
differents and mixed opinions especially on audiophile forums.
I was confused too.
Old 8th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
i'd like to upgrade my heaphones....My choice is between sennheiser hd 800 and beyerdynamic T1.
If you want to share your opinions on both headphones please do.

thanks! heh
Curious to know if you have upgraded your setup, and what are your opinion with the HD-800.
Old 10th December 2011
How much was that rig?

I'm cheap so I build my own here. I use the National LME49713 transconductance opamp into a pair of Harris HA5001 buffers. I ran them direct drive rather than place the load into the feedback loop for constant current drive.

Slew rate is 2000v/us, bandwidth is 100 mhz, THD is .0008% on the Audio Precision. Noise is -105dbu. Phase response is zero degrees, 20~20k hz. No capacitors are in the circuit besides psu bypassing, not a one. There are no small pf caps anywhere either, it's wide open, DC to daylight and sounds wonderful. I paid about $30 per channel for these and use them throughout the studio, even for monitoring musicians, it will hurt a drummer if I turn it up. I usually start off a bit loud for them and wait.... wait..... wait..... then I get that feeble request:

"Is there anyway you could turn down the headphones a bit"?
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkins View Post
Curious to know if you have upgraded your setup, and what are your opinion with the HD-800.

yes i've upgraded to hd800.I've just received my custom balanced cable
for the hd800.I'll do some burn in process and afterwards i'll post some
impressions for sure.
Old 25th June 2016
Here for the gear

-Jim

Can you supply the parts and plan for those nifty headphone direct drive amps. I'm also a cheap guy LOL. I was going to purchase the QES unit but not enough info on it and the market for clean balanced headphone amps is ludacrisssss where are the simple non polluted units?
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
.I'll do some burn in process and afterwards i'll post some
impressions for sure.
Are you burning in the cable?

Last edited by Laurend; 27th June 2016 at 10:26 AM..
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurend View Post
Are you butning in the cable?

i've upgraded my hpba2 amp to the S version(new amplification board circuit and a better and bigger toroidal transformer).
I've also bought the new sennheiser hd800s which is really big step further compared to the old hd800.
Yes Laurend i do the burn-in of every new cable for at least 24-48 hrs

Last edited by fradoca; 27th June 2016 at 02:12 PM..
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiOS View Post
-Jim

Can you supply the parts and plan for those nifty headphone direct drive amps. I'm also a cheap guy LOL. I was going to purchase the QES unit but not enough info on it and the market for clean balanced headphone amps is ludacrisssss where are the simple non polluted units?

for the qes labs unit you can have a look here :

QES Labs HPBA-2 S - HDPhonic

Last edited by fradoca; 27th June 2016 at 02:12 PM..
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Yes, we are talking about the new Sennheiser HD 800 S.
They're indeed a step forward compared to the old version. And the QES Labs HPBA-2 S, to me, is still the best match to drive those cans.
They made some improvement, such as bigger transducers, uncovered earcups and absorbers that made them more balanced throughout the spectrum.
The combo is super analytical, and even faster with an improved faithful representation of the source. Please be aware you need to be equipped with a serious DAC to rise to these challanges.
Well done Sennheiser and Qes Labs!
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Most reports I'm seeing from pro audio users of the HD800S are saying they are not as flat as the HD800 (kinda similar to the thing between the HD600 and the HD650). I heard they have built in second harmonic distortion or something, to make the bass sound "more"? I dearly wish to be able to try 800 and the S version back to back!
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Most reports I'm seeing from pro audio users of the HD800S are saying they are not as flat as the HD800 (kinda similar to the thing between the HD600 and the HD650). I heard they have built in second harmonic distortion or something, to make the bass sound "more"? I dearly wish to be able to try 800 and the S version back to back!

Gregg,
believe me i have both and the new hd800s is more neutral when compared to the old hd800.I did a comparison side by side with the same amp the same song the same cable and the same volume.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
That's great to hear! Did you read the InnerFidelity review? He liked the S more standard, but preferred the 800 when EQing, but said they were very, very close.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I'd say much clearer balance wrt older version.
Old 5th July 2016
In my opinion the HD800S is a lot better. I can hear no negative effects of the sound tweaking Sennheiser did and the annoying peak is gone.
I have found my audio nirvana in the dream combo of HD800S and Violectric HPA V200 amp. Totally amazing!
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerised View Post
In my opinion the HD800S is a lot better. I can hear no negative effects of the sound tweaking Sennheiser did and the annoying peak is gone.
I have found my audio nirvana in the dream combo of HD800S and Violectric HPA V200 amp. Totally amazing!
i hope you'll get the chance to try the hd800s with a much better amp than the v200. An amp like the hpba2s by qes labs which has been designed and built on purpose for the hd800/hd800s.the combo is a step higher compared to many other amps i've tried with both headphones.
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Which cable would you suggest to use with that combo?
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
Which cable would you suggest to use with that combo?

a balanced custom cable made with mogami w2534 will be a good choice
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
a balanced custom cable made with mogami w2534 will be a good choice
How would you say this headphone amp would compare to a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp?
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
How would you say this headphone amp would compare to a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp?

first of all you can't compare a tube amp with a solid state one.
Second it would be like comparing a ferrari(hpba2s) with a ford fiesta...

i guess you get the picture
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
first of all you can't compare a tube amp with a solid state one.
Second it would be like comparing a ferrari(hpba2s) with a ford fiesta...

i guess you get the picture
I am well aware of the differences between a tube and a solid state amp, thanks. I was simply asking as there is not much information about the qes amp. I was recommended the schiit Valhalla by a very well respected mastering engineer who also uses it with his hd800 (as do I).
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am well aware of the differences between a tube and a solid state amp, thanks. I was simply asking as there is not much information about the qes amp. I was recommended the schiit Valhalla by a very well respected mastering engineer who also uses it with his hd800 (as do I).

I've used headphones in the last 20 years.I've tried many different amps with the hd800 and hd800s and the hpba2s by Qes labs is the best in terms of speed transparency and linearity. This amp has an output curve that matches exactly the impedance curve of the sennheiser hd800/hd800s.It works in current mode and it's a pure dual mono balanced amp.Combining these 2 factors the amp brings out everything from the headphone especially bass frequencies and neutral sound.I've sold my hd800 and now i use the hpba2s with the hd800s.all i can say is that this a killer combo.Even other people have been astonished by the performance.If you do a google search you can find some detailed info abou the hpba2s by qes labs.
I know that even one member of daft punk use this amp with his hd800 in his studio as reference....
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Frankly I wouldn't use a slow and euphonic otl tube amp for my critical listening sessions.
The HD 800's ask for more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search