The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is mastering??? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
"onemoretime
Gear nut

Ok wackfest over.

I started this thread for a laugh.
I enjoy watching the future music DVDs but I just thought It would be funny to tell a bunch of mastering engineers in a mastering forum that mastering is unnecessary and that these days anybody can do it in their bedroom.

The truth is that mastering is still important vinyl or not and while there are people who can get big sound using nothing but a laptop and software (Laidback luke for example) there are 10 times as many who can't.
This accessibility of the technology along with the DIY software mentality is responsible for some of the worst music ever.

One of the best mastering studios for mastering dance music is Massive Masters out of the UK. They master some of the best labels and know how to cut vinyl. I found them of the credits of my favorite records. Their rates are very manageable.
Another really good studio for mastering is the exchange out of the UK. They have mastered some of the greatest records ever.

I am sure there are many others but you really can't go wrong with either of these.
Cheers."

excuse me mr one more time , are you the same guy that posted this ?
if you are it seems to me you are playing shenanigins with poor helpful mastering guys yet again !

what i keep seeing in this place amazes me somedays
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Careyn/Onemoretime
Reminder, once again: Multiple ID are not allowed on Gearslutz.
----------------
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
Right? Why would you want to know what mastering is when you already started a thread stating that proper mastering isn't really needed and then stating that mastering is important?..once a dick...

Quote:
I started this thread for a laugh.
I enjoy watching the future music DVDs but I just thought It would be funny to tell a bunch of mastering engineers in a mastering forum that mastering is unnecessary and that these days anybody can do it in their bedroom.

The truth is that mastering is still important vinyl or not and while there are people who can get big sound using nothing but a laptop and software (Laidback luke for example) there are 10 times as many who can't.
This accessibility of the technology along with the DIY software mentality is responsible for some of the worst music ever.

One of the best mastering studios for mastering dance music is Massive Masters out of the UK. They master some of the best labels and know how to cut vinyl. I found them of the credits of my favorite records. Their rates are very manageable.
Another really good studio for mastering is the exchange out of the UK. They have mastered some of the greatest records ever.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Right? Why would you want to know what mastering is when you already started a thread stating that proper mastering isn't really needed and then stating that mastering is important?..once a dick...
What is mastering?
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
What is mastering?
Congrats you made it to my ignore list.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
What is mastering?
RECORDING - Waltz Mastering Studio - What Is Mastering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
Congrats you made it to my ignore list.
+1 - Where is that button?...found it.
Old 18th March 2010
Motown legend

Verified Member
The goal of mastering is to create a final presentation of a mix that enhances the listening experience while minimizing any distractions from the musical experience. We want listeners to be engaged by what they hear.

To me it's largely about context. The most important listeners to an artist are those in a position to recommend the recording or the artist to others. This is not a lowest common denominator crowd. Winning them over requires that the sound of the mix be impressive and make sense both within the context of its position in the album and the context of other recordings these listeners have most likely been listening to.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
A vaguely defined service and poli-speak is not the way to go people.
Your clients would be far more willing to part with their hard earned cash if they were more familiar with the process of mastering and how you approach it.

What is mastering for you and what does it involve?
None of the vaguely defined stuff.
Break it down in actual steps.

Let me help you out here
step one
''I listen to the record''...
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A vaguely defined service and poli-speak is not the way to go people.
Your clients would be far more willing to part with their hard earned cash if they were more familiar with the process of mastering and how you approach it.

What is mastering for you and what does it involve?
None of the vaguely defined stuff.
Break it down in actual steps.

Let me help you out here
step one
''I listen to the record''...
The process will obviously be different for each ME and each song will need something different. I don´t think an ME will always have the same approach or use the same tools and techniques to deliver the final product.

Bob replied really well to the question "what is mastering?" maybe you should ask if any ME´s on here would kindly like to share their mastering process with you.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
The process will obviously be different for each ME and each song will need something different. I don´t think an ME will always have the same approach or use the same tools and techniques to deliver the final product.

Bob replied really well to the question "what is mastering?" maybe you should ask if any ME´s on here would kindly like to share their mastering process with you.
No. The only person who gave some actual info here was Jayfrigo.
Would like to hear more on the actual steps he gave though.

Everybody else just giving the usual patronizing vaguely defined speak.
Like ''Mastering is about making the record sound better''
No **** you don't say...

So tell me...

How you go about doing that champ?
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

You know why? Because there is no set process.

1. Get client input and listen to record
2. Make decisions based on what you hear and your experience.
3.Use whatever tools are at your disposal to do the work.
4. Deliver to happy client.

This is like asking how do you cut hair. Unless you are working at a Marine base, there is no one answer or process.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
You know why? Because there is no set process.

1. Listen to record
2. Make decisions based on what you hear and your experience. Use whatever tools are at your disposal to do the work.
3. Deliver to happy client.

What is mastering for you? What does it involve? How do you approach mastering? No beating around the bush please... Give us mere mortals some insight into the process of mastering....
We all deserve to know.

Like '''First I listen to the record the if I hear this I use this then I usually patch in this then I use this or I use that depending on... then I patch in that and I use this this way.... I make sure I do that'' type of vibe.

You get the picture...

Tell me...
What is mastering?
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Maybe a better question (and one I'm not 100% clear about sometimes) is what is the difference between a mixer and a mastering E?

My take is the mixer does a lot of the work, and the master finishes it, but is there overlap on what these guys do. I've heard some guys say that mastering can be as simple as just level matching song to song and fades if the mixing job was outstanding.

Outside of vinyl production, is there something that can be done in mastering that can't be done in mixing?
Old 18th March 2010
Motown legend

Verified Member
The mastering process is one of listening and that determines absolutely everything else.

Only hacks have a formula.
Old 18th March 2010
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaddict View Post
...Outside of vinyl production, is there something that can be done in mastering that can't be done in mixing?
Having the benefit of any information that wasn't available when mixing. Vinyl production was no different.

The ideal mix goes across flat.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The mastering process is one of listening and that determines absolutely everything else.

Only hacks have a formula.
Whoa there Bob. I am not for one minute suggesting that people find a method that works for them and stick to it that would be a disservice to the excellent people who experiment with thousands of different ways of working (some of which haven't been invented yet) it is just that those other (more cynical) people might think that they are getting an assembly line approach. So lets prove them wrong! What is mastering for you and what does it involve? Now I know that mastering for some people might be running a copy of the mix through a guitar petal and blending it in with the original mix and who am I to judge their mastering method it is just that this might be a ''non standard'' way of working... So what tools will your average professional mastering engineer probably use to deliver the finished product and how?
Give us a small example of the endless possibilities...
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
No. The only person who gave some actual info here was Jayfrigo.
Would like to hear more on the actual steps he gave though.

Everybody else just giving the usual patronizing vaguely defined speak.
Like ''Mastering is about making the record sound better''
No **** you don't say...

So tell me...

How you go about doing that champ?
With your tone it's a wonder that you're not getting helpful missives chock full o details just the way you want them.

How could anyone resist.

Mastering engineers are so rude.

On behalf of the industry, I beg your pardon... champ.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
how do you f*ck a kangaroo ...
Old 18th March 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
carefully?
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
carefully?
With respect.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
@ sterling they must know, they've done everyting .... heh
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
Is that part of the mastering process?
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Bet it involves a pogostick.

At the curious questioneer: you ARE getting the right answers! Listen, apply the typical audio tools, listen again. There's isn't that many tools. Plain EQ, compression and limiting goes 99% of the way to getting a good master. Knowing how to operate the tools themselves doesn't take much effort. The listening part is the difficult one.

The biggest challenge for me is to find out what good sound really is. Finding that, across a wide spectra of genres, is an ever going quest. It's hard to know where you're going if you're not heading somewhere. If you're heading somewhere, it's supposed to be better than where you started. So, what IS better? Listen and learn.

A handy practical tip: do frequent A/B comparisons between source and processed track at equal listening level. It'll quickly reveal if it's getting better or just louder.
Old 18th March 2010
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Is that part of the mastering process?

personally, i do not discriminate against race, sex, species or breed of client.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I don´t master... I was just trying to help you understand that there don´t seem to be formulas when mastering.

And don´t call me champ, it makes you look like another of those internet rambo guys.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
personally, i do not discriminate against race, sex, species or breed of client.
How about unable to pay?
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I don´t master... I was just trying to help you understand that there don´t seem to be formulas when mastering.
I could say that I don't fly helicopters but there is definitely no set way of doing this.
It is really all about... all about... getting in hitting some buttons and going with the wind.
But how but some methods from somebody who knows what he is talking about... Somebody who... you know... does this for a living?
It makes the whole thing more official for me... strange... go figure...
Old 18th March 2010
Mastering is the process of using a peak limiter to make the music as loud as possible. On average I try to get the music to about -2dB RMS before sending it out on a memorex CD. Waves L1 is the only limiter that is appropriate for mastering.
Old 18th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I'm kidding by the way....
So what is mastering really about? What is mastering for you and what does it involve?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search