The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering Grade Patchbay?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
The "best" is an XLR jackfield. No normals.

DC
Even better is a Lemo (Lemosa Audio Steckfeld) patch bay. Best connection you can get if you don´t use direct connection between units.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

I've been using a patchbay since forever.

Whenever I've been tempted to use a router/switcher unit I've always hesitated for one reason:

I don't want to interfere with how my analog units "talk to" each other.

I've found that the order of gear in the chain makes a significant sonic difference due to how the outputs and inputs interact with each other (transformer balanced vs electronically balanced and so on).

I have it set up just the way I want it. If I were to use a router then my boxes would no longer be connected to each other, rather they'd all be connected to the router.

I have it in my head that putting additional I/O and switching circuitry between my units would alter the delicate balance that I currently have working for me.

Am I wrong?
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I've been using a patchbay since forever.

Whenever I've been tempted to use a router/switcher unit I've always hesitated for one reason:

I don't want to interfere with how my analog units "talk to" each other.

I've found that the order of gear in the chain makes a significant sonic difference due to how the outputs and inputs interact with each other (transformer balanced vs electronically balanced and so on).

I have it set up just the way I want it. If I were to use a router then my boxes would no longer be connected to each other, rather they'd all be connected to the router.

I have it in my head that putting additional I/O and switching circuitry between my units would alter the delicate balance that I currently have working for me.

Am I wrong?
If you use a passive matrix (so just relays), it will be exactly the same. Actually, it will be better since it will not feed the signal through the unit (and cables when not in use), it will just pass it trough to the next in chain right away. They are all in series, just like what you do right now, but way more flexible.
The order (tranny/electronic difference) makes sense as well, for sure! And a passive matrix can swap the order passively with the push of a button. About 200 times faster then doing it by swapping cables, and you can AB that.

And then i'm not even talking about the flexibilty of changing an insert to MS or parallel. That's not possible with a fixed path.

So you are saying, 'am I wrong?' basically, yes..
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Direct connection here, no patchbay, no analog router.

JT
Man I've been sooooo tempted to go that route!

Maybe it's time...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search