The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brick limiters vs regular Limiters Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Brick limiters vs regular Limiters

Was wondering what the difference between a "brick limiter" and a "regular limiter" is.

I know that a brickwall limiter prevents ANYTHING from going over the set output, but does this mean that the regular limiter once in a while lets some transients pass through?

What is the typical one to use as a last insert on my 2 bus in my DAW?

And why even create a Limiter plugin thats NOT brickwall? Whats the benefit?

Is there any wiz out there who knows the difference?

Many thanks for any help here!

/R
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Yes a brick wall limiter can be set to allow nothing to pass the set threshold. A regular limiter will be more forgiving and allow (depending how you set it's parameters) transients to kiss past the threshold.

A brick wall limiter, to me, has it's benefits in live situations. Live sound engineers often strap a brick wall limiter over their mixes to protect from sharp unexpected spikes, like a dropped microphone, from blowing their speakers or (or damaging ears!). Radio broadcasts also use brick wall limiters for the same reason, and to ensure the sound never gets louder past a certain threshold. There are strict laws that radio broadcasts can't be loud past a certain point, and likely there are steep fines, hence the absolute necessity of a brick wall limiter.

I don't do mastering, but I doubt brick wall limiters are used often in mastering. Maybe a mastering engineer can chime in?
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
Yes a brick wall limiter can be set to allow nothing to pass the set threshold. A regular limiter will be more forgiving and allow (depending how you set it's parameters) transients to kiss past the threshold.

A brick wall limiter, to me, has it's benefits in live situations. Live sound engineers often strap a brick wall limiter over their mixes to protect from sharp unexpected spikes, like a dropped microphone, from blowing their speakers or (or damaging ears!). Radio broadcasts also use brick wall limiters for the same reason, and to ensure the sound never gets louder past a certain threshold. There are strict laws that radio broadcasts can never be louder past a certain point, and likely there are steep fines, hence the absolute necessity of a brick wall limiter.

I don't do mastering, but I doubt brick wall limiters are used often in mastering. Maybe a mastering engineer can chime in?
Thanks for the input. I was more thinking in the digital domain though.

/R
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quick reply..
Typically, a digital "brick wall" limiter has a ratio of infinity: 1, and will use a look-ahead delay to analyze & process peak transients with extremely fast attack and release, relative to that of a compressor.
In general audio terms a "limiter", especially in the analog realm, may be known to have a ratio greater than 10:1. Many broadcast limiters were valve designs, though definitely not "brick wall".
I'm sure if you try a Search for "peak limiter" or "brick wall limiter" you'll get more detailed info.
Old 11th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Quick reply..
Typically, a digital "brick wall" limiter has a ratio of infinity: 1, and will use a look-ahead delay to analyze & process peak transients with extremely fast attack and release, relative to that of a compressor.
In general audio terms a "limiter", especially in the analog realm, may be known to have a ratio greater than 10:1. Many broadcast limiters were valve designs, though definitely not "brick wall".
I'm sure if you try a Search for "peak limiter" or "brick wall limiter" you'll get more detailed info.
thanks for the info!!

/R
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

One more note, brickwall limiters often turn down the level BEFORE a spike which is made possible by the look-ahead delay. A normal limiter does not have look-ahead and thus a period of time can pass before clamping down on the signal.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
Actually it's become a must for commercial stuff
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search