The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shoes / No shoes Condenser Microphones
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
If i walked into a mastering session and the ME had his shoes off or was wearing sandles(especially opened toe with no socks) i would walk right right out.

Sorry.
hehhehhehthumbsup
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No shoes. Wool socks if it's cold, barefoot if it's summertime.

It's a cultural thing, I believe. At least in Finland, pretty much nobody keeps shoes on inside the house, while I think most europeans do wear shoes inside the house. I think it's uncomfortable, and if someone feels insulted for me not wearing shoes.. Goodbye.

Anyway, I don't think nobody wants to see me wearing these in the studio:

Old 17th October 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
SWAT boots?
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I once had a client who was such a pain in the ass that I purposely closed his toe in the steel door jam that separated my control room and lounge. Cut his little bugger clean off. If I warned him once about keeping his shoes on...I warned him 1,000 times!
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Guru

That's pretty funny. My WHOLE thing is not wearing any shoes. You come to see me play live, unless I'm playing in someone elses band, not being ME, like a wedding or someone elses show, I don't wear shoes. I've made a reputation from it. Weird I know. People don't expect me to wear them.

I don't wear them except to drive or go into stores and outside. I wear sandals, or rarely sneakers. I have a couple of pairs of dress shoes just in case.

That said going into a mastering studio I'll generally ask if I can remove my sandals, but it's never been an issue. It's not like they're dirty. If I couldn't remove my shoes, as silly as it sounds, it might be a deal breaker. I can't wear shoes that long!
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
If i walked into a mastering session and the ME had his shoes off or was wearing sandles(especially opened toe with no socks) i would walk right right out.

Sorry.
That's really funny! We'll never work together. heh
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

On a location session, I did ask that the players didn't smoke in the rooms where the mics were. So they saved up all the fags for the time they came into the control room. It was like working in a factory chimney........so my lungs got it instead of the capsules.

A few years after that session one of the horn players died with lung cancer, and he was not very old, but he was a chain-smoker, as in a chain of cigarettes.

Slightly off subject, cigarettes in place of shoes, but hey, it's raining here.

PS., I often drive on long journeys without shoes.
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Guru

Shoes / No shoes

Oh yeah. And I don't wear socks with my sandals!
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strdsk View Post
I once had a client who was such a pain in the ass that I purposely closed his toe in the steel door jam that separated my control room and lounge. Cut his little bugger clean off. If I warned him once about keeping his shoes on...I warned him 1,000 times!
Whahahahahahahahaa! LOL
Old 20th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
That's really funny! We'll never work together. heh
Well the fact that you don't like Distressors and i use & like Distressors in my mixes killed that chance a long time ago.

Also i work for 2 labels that are owned by major Fashion corporations. So having the media around taking pictures all the time and celebrities/models hanging out at sessions is a regular occurrence.

If I am getting these labels to pay $400 an hour for a mastering session at Sterling and the artist, celebrity types, executives and media show up to take pictures for PR stuff and my ME works with his shoes off it will just give off the wrong impression...especially when they want to take pictures.

It'll be: In this picture we have the beautiful artist, friends, producers and oh yeah who's the guy with the hairy feet?.
Old 20th October 2010
Gearslutz.com admin

Bilbo Baggins?
Old 20th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Bilbo Baggins?
Well it totally makes sense then.

Especially since people that don't what mastering is about consider it a "Black Art".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search