The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OT: Pink Floyd DSOTM 5.1 SACD
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
OT: Pink Floyd DSOTM 5.1 SACD

Nothing to see here... move on.

Last edited by Thor; 21st November 2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Found a bug in the SACD player, the disc is fine....
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

What's SACD?
What's 5.1?
Old 21st November 2009
GS Community Manager

Pink Floyd, that some rapper or sumthin'?
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Que?
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Curious though.. how are you finding the SACD?
fwiw, versus the orig CD release, the CD layer of the SACD release (compared level-matched) sounds simply like a better transfer and EQ (less mid range-y than the former EQ'd for vinyl). The orchestral bleed-through on the very end fade remains, as does the bending note on the tail of Great Gig (possibly due to temporary slowing of the record machine on mixdown - anyone know?)
– Floyd fan.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, french bear rap. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
First time I listened to the SACD of DSOM I really knew what the album was about.
I have the vinyl, my dad the quad LP and he even said this is what I could have imagined the studio sounded like.

Stereo version as good as they are sound like a 2D print vs a real oil painting.

Parts I love are in the running when the bass rolls in from the EMS synth and makes it feel like you are sinking or rising with the decent.

BTW SACD looks just like the CD version except for a very little tiny bit of writing indicating an SACD code.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I pulled the DSD layer into my Pyramix rig and played it back for a few other engineers. In a properly set-up system, this is pretty awesome. I like "The Wall - Live in Berlin" SACD too.

Regards,
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

I prefer the unofficial DVDA
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Not one of my favorite albums, but it IS one of my favorite SACDs.
I think it helps that this album was designed for surround.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Also, after the the clocks (Time), when that first powerful note hits, you could always hear a pre-delay of it on the record. I heard if for 30 years before I got the SACD. It is really weird to hear this record without it.
Yes, likely pre-echo from print-through of the vinyl master dub. CD & SACD remasters are from the original 2-track master, likely stored tail out so any post-echo is masked.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I'm baffled Thor. That's one of my favorite SACDs!

Listen to "Us and Them" again : - )

When we were putting my new room together a few years ago, it was one of our favorite references.

iirc Doug Sax did the remastering on both 2.0 and 5.1

An interesting reference is made to the record, in a song by Charlie Mars "Listen to the Darkside".

Cheers - JT
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
I'm baffled Thor. That's one of my favorite SACDs!
His comment is not with regards to the disc, but to the deletion of his original post.

See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Last edited by Thor; 21st November 2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Found a bug in the SACD player, the disc is fine....
Old 24th November 2009
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering View Post
His comment is not with regards to the disc, but to the deletion of his original post.

See:
Nonetheless it turned into a topic discussion heh
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is about the only sensible reply in the thread

It's pretty much like you said, a better transfer overall. Yeah, you can still hear the Beatles at the very end (bleed though from a neighboring studio?) and the tail note at the end of the Great Gig was made in order to fit it onto the LP originally, due to time constraints. They figured no one would notice (esp their core audience, who would probably not be listening sober anyway ). It was intentional.

And yes, this is one of my favourite multichannel discs, although right now I'm really digging Beck's Sea Change mixed by Elliot Scheiner in 5.1 for DVD-A. Simply amazing. And for fun, when you want to really go all out and get wacky in surround, there's always the Flaming Lips Yoshima Battles the Pink Robots. Quite a roller coaster ride.

From what I've heard, the original Quad mixes of DSOTM are amazing, and perhaps better than the 5.1 remix. I'm looking forward to finding a copy, but don't think I have the equipment needed to play a quad LP...

Anyway, Doug Sax did (still does) an amazing job.

Back to listening....

Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Curious though.. how are you finding the SACD?
fwiw, versus the orig CD release, the CD layer of the SACD release (compared level-matched) sounds simply like a better transfer and EQ (less mid range-y than the former EQ'd for vinyl). The orchestral bleed-through on the very end fade remains, as does the bending note on the tail of Great Gig (possibly due to temporary slowing of the record machine on mixdown - anyone know?)
– Floyd fan.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a new DSOTM vinyl reissue that came with all the original graphic goodies....but I have no turntable (at the moment)!

SACD sounds great to my ears, too bad that the format is all but extinguished.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search