The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gotta learn some mastering
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Gotta learn some mastering

Hi,

I run have recording and mixing studio and to this point I have always said that I don't do any mastering because there are guys who knows how to do it and it is a trait of its own. But lately some customers (usually the poor ones) don't want any external mastering etc. so I have been involved with mastering as well.

So my question is do you have any good advices where to start learning mastering. I want to learn the basics and not to get too deep in it because its not for me but I just want to learn how to do a basic mastering for a demo record. Obviously we have the gearslutz, bob katz etc. but do you have any other ideas???

Simo / Studio Bad Mama
Studio Bad Mama
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
13 Reviews written
I would steer away from doing any major brain surgery to these, and usually it's not even needed.

You will learn with trying these things out.

Listen. What does it need? Try to keep it simple. All it might really need is some top end and some level. Don't apply compression if it's not clearly necessary. Don't use compression for level, use it for sound.

I would work with plug-ins. Get some good ones - I'm sure someone else can suggest something. A good digital EQ, limiter and a single band compressor is all you really need, and not necessarily all at the same time.

Other than that, you need to be able sequence the tracks, get the spacing right and burn CD's of good quality.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Try to intern/apprentice at a local mastering studio. That is by far the best way to learn. Even if it is only one day a week do to your schedule its worth doing.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

If you're doing ITB take a look at the Ozone Mastering Guide (iZotope Ozone - 64-bit analog modeled mastering effects for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX audio applications). It's kind of cookbook but that's probably what you're looking for anyway. It does discuss some basic mastering principles in addition to the nuts and bolts of the product.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Get proper monitoring and acoustics. When you have so good monitoring that your mixes don't require mastering you are ready to master. thumbsup

+ everything Jaakko said.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
I would steer away from doing any major brain surgery to these, and usually it's not even needed.

You will learn with trying these things out.

Listen. What does it need? Try to keep it simple. All it might really need is some top end and some level. Don't apply compression if it's not clearly necessary. Don't use compression for level, use it for sound.

I would work with plug-ins. Get some good ones - I'm sure someone else can suggest something. A good digital EQ, limiter and a single band compressor is all you really need, and not necessarily all at the same time.

Other than that, you need to be able sequence the tracks, get the spacing right and burn CD's of good quality.
I've been finding out the hard way that I'm a lot o' thumbs with compression. When my mixes get too muddy or bogged down, I'll re-zero everything (and turn off the compression) and try to mix at as low a volume as possible to get things to sound balanced. Works for me.
Also, I've committed some cardinal sins with a mastering limiter. Those things can be dangerous in untrained hands. Like, uh, mine....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear