The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
switching to solar power .. who's next Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd November 2009
  #61
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
That very funny. Most of the Amsterdam people agreed with Fox news.
Non-sense.

Quote:
Only fools dont want to see the truth of whats really going on in Amsterdam.
Oh ho. One of those Heh?

Quote:
btw, I just read that some hackers break in the university of London.
ClimateGate - Climate center's server hacked revealing documents and emails

It showed that many facts are false about the climate.
It does? You read the over 10 years of emails and documents did you? And even if it does... that is one research unit in one university. Big deal.

Btw, this is what one of the persons involved in that correspondence has to say about one of those emails:

Quote:
Yep, what was written below is all me, but it was purely on background, please don't quote anything I said or attribute to me w/out checking specifically–thanks.
Re, your point at the end–you've taken the words out of my mouth. Skepticism is essential for the functioning of science. It yields an erratic path towards eventual truth. But legitimate scientific skepticism is exercised through formal scientific circles, in particular the peer review process. A necessary though not in general sufficient condition
for taking a scientific criticism seriously is that it has passed through the legitimate scientific peer review process. those such as McIntyre who operate almost entirely outside of this system are not to be trusted.

In other words, they are not denying the legitimacy of the correspondence. They are denying the legitimacy of quoting out of context. In other words, unless you read through the 61MB of stolen texts, you still won't know what it is about.

Quote:
Just what the majority of science people try to say all the time.
Now I am wondering. Let me guess. You read the Telegraaf?

Quote:
Its just a new way of making more taxes.
Ah yes. That must be it. So that the evil government can fill it's coffers and then... *evil laughter* spend it on public facilities! *muahahahahaha*.

You are not making any sense Tropicana.

Alistair
Old 22nd November 2009
  #62
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
no harm in going solar, and IMHO it's not only our planet , we share it with all kinds off live .... it's just that I look for/ and need some kind off harmony/balance within myself ... to make some sense out off this crazy life ...
going carbon neutral is just one way to get a bit closer to it for me ....
I just read an article in the Scientific American Mind giving another reason to pollute less: "The most recent studies found that New York City five-year-olds who were exposed to higher levels of urban air pollutants known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) while in the womb exhibited an IQ four points lower than those subjected to less PAH."

Pollution is just bad.

Alistair
Old 23rd November 2009
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
I thought this was a thread about solar power not "global warming"... the only reason I want to get off the grid is to stop feeding money to the biggest monopoly we have in the US, mainly National Grid.

For a country who has anti-trust laws in place so monopolies can't happen, we "somehow" (thanks to some greedy politicians) have more monopolies in this country than ever before... when GM, Ford and Chrysler can't "afford" to fail and we have to "bail them out" (what bullsh*t) we now get to support these monopolies!!!

Well the music industry is failing, so where's my bailout??? Give me a break!

I can't wait to get "off the grid". We are also growing more of our own food than ever before and guess what? It makes us feel good, it's fun and it even tastes better, imagine that!

Go solar, go wind stop buying into the greed.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Edward_Vinatea's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
For a country who has anti-trust laws in place so monopolies can't happen, we "somehow" (thanks to some greedy politicians) have more monopolies in this country than ever before... when GM, Ford and Chrysler can't "afford" to fail and we have to "bail them out" (what bullsh*t) we now get to support these monopoies!!!
I don't want to derail this thread with politics or another economy related post, but don't you think that we probably wouldn't be still standing up as a country right now if we didn't bailed our car companies and banks? We have a pretty good scam going for many many years now: we print meaningless fiat money in green paper and ask countries to accepted them and hold them as currency to pay our debt. Why rock the boat in the thick of a storm by letting people lose more millions of jobs? Bailing out is the lesser evil and may have just saved the nation, or it may have delayed the inevitable. The only dollars that are worth as tangible assets are the collectors' items and these. Anyway, it's more complicated than just calling it a monopoly.

Regards,
Old 23rd November 2009
  #65
kjg
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Pollution is just bad.

Alistair
really?? poll time!
Old 23rd November 2009
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Non-sense.



Oh ho. One of those Heh?



It does? You read the over 10 years of emails and documents did you? And even if it does... that is one research unit in one university. Big deal.

Btw, this is what one of the persons involved in that correspondence has to say about one of those emails:




In other words, they are not denying the legitimacy of the correspondence. They are denying the legitimacy of quoting out of context. In other words, unless you read through the 61MB of stolen texts, you still won't know what it is about.



Now I am wondering. Let me guess. You read the Telegraaf?



Ah yes. That must be it. So that the evil government can fill it's coffers and then... *evil laughter* spend it on public facilities! *muahahahahaha*.

You are not making any sense Tropicana.

Alistair
Well dear Ali, You just showed a very bad part of yourself.
Probably you also think 9/11 was done by the americans themself.
I dont have to read the Telegraaf or any other newspaper to read the reality of whats going on. With an open mind without belittle other people you can find a lot of information on the internet

And mine opinion is that the climate hype will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
Take it or leave it but dont come with socialistic dogma's.
People have enough of this crap.
Thats why many, many amsterdam people agreed with Foxnews.
Its a big mess in amsterdam.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #67
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
Well dear Ali, You just showed a very bad part of yourself.
Probably you also think 9/11 was done by the americans themself.
I dont have to read the Telegraaf or any other newspaper to read the reality of whats going on. With an open mind without belittle other people you can find a lot of information on the internet

And mine opinion is that the climate hype will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
Take it or leave it but dont come with socialistic dogma's.
People have enough of this crap.
Thats why many, many amsterdam people agreed with Foxnews.
Its a big mess in amsterdam.
yer in a minority there ol' fellah! But opinions are fair enough!!
Old 23rd November 2009
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea View Post
I don't want to derail this thread with politics or another economy related post, but don't you think that we probably wouldn't be still standing up as a country right now if we didn't bailed our car companies and banks? We have a pretty good scam going for many many years now: we print meaningless fiat money in green paper and ask countries to accepted them and hold them as currency to pay our debt. Why rock the boat in the thick of a storm by letting people lose more millions of jobs? Bailing out is the lesser evil and may have just saved the nation, or it may have delayed the inevitable. The only dollars that are worth as tangible assets are the collectors' items and these. Anyway, it's more complicated than just calling it a monopoly.

Regards,
Edward while this may be true... if we stopped these monopolies from happening in the first place (you know, like how the law is written) we wouldn't have had to bail out the car companies.

BTW I lived through the last gas crisis and we should have gotten off oil dependency back then but guess what GM and the others had a monopoly going and didn't want to rock the boat! No new innovation in car design and gas mileage got worse not better over the next 30 years...

This is a great country and many have died to make it this way, many in my family. It's just a shame that people don't "do the right thing anymore"... greed seems to run rampant now (in all walks of life).

After the first of the year I'm cashing out all my 401K's and paying off all my debt (as I don't really think the money is going to be there in the future). I'd rather enjoy life now while I can rather than give it to the medical industry later when I can't. Especially if they don't pass health care reform... what I pay for that a month (1200.00 family plan, no dental, limited prescriptions, big co-pay) is equal to one of my two mortgages!!! Nice huh?

Again go solar, go wind, go electric car... stop the insanity!
Old 23rd November 2009
  #69
Lives for gear
 
just.sounds's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
Well dear Ali, You just showed a very bad part of yourself.
Probably you also think 9/11 was done by the americans themself.
I dont have to read the Telegraaf or any other newspaper to read the reality of whats going on. With an open mind without belittle other people you can find a lot of information on the internet

And mine opinion is that the climate hype will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
Take it or leave it but dont come with socialistic dogma's.
People have enough of this crap.
Thats why many, many amsterdam people agreed with Foxnews.
Its a big mess in amsterdam.
May I ask where you are living Tropicana. And of course the source of the claim that many people in amsterdam agree with foxnews would be helpfull.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Edward_Vinatea's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Edward while this may be true... if we stopped these monopolies from happening in the first place (you know, like how the law is written) we wouldn't have had to bail out the car companies.

BTW I lived through the last gas crisis and we should have gotten off oil dependency back then but guess what GM and the others had a monopoly going and didn't want to rock the boat! No new innovation in car design and gas mileage got worse not better over the next 30 years...

This is a great country and many have died to make it this way, many in my family. It's just a shame that people don't "do the right thing anymore"... greed seems to run rampant now (in all walks of life).

After the first of the year I'm cashing out all my 401K's and paying off all my debt (as I don't really think the money is going to be there in the future). I'd rather enjoy life now while I can rather than give it to the medical industry later when I can't. Especially if they don't pass health care reform... what I pay for that a month (1200.00 family plan, no dental, limited prescriptions, big co-pay) is equal to one of my two mortgages!!! Nice huh?

Again go solar, go wind, go electric car... stop the insanity!
Agreed. We are in a deep whole, Larry. I dread every year that goes by. Just like I dread what's happening to Global whether and the potential for new disasters that may occur as consequence of human greed and lack of justice. All I ask the good Lord is that we can survive and enjoy life to the fullest.

Take good care,
Old 23rd November 2009
  #71
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
Well dear Ali, You just showed a very bad part of yourself.
I don't know. I find that intolerance for utter non-sense is a good attribute.

Quote:
Probably you also think 9/11 was done by the americans themself.
Tropicana, you are the one that believes in conspiracy theories as you clearly demonstrate in this very post I am responding to.

Quote:
I dont have to read the Telegraaf
Thought so.

Quote:
or any other newspaper to read the reality of whats going on. With an open mind without belittle other people you can find a lot of information on the internet
You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Nor should you believe the populist media and politicians. Here are some real facts:

Amsterdam.nl - Criminaliteit gedaald; overlastcijfers gestegen
Criminaliteit in Amsterdam-Amstelland in 2008 opnieuw verder gedaald

Btw, having an open mind does not mean being gullible and believing any old non-sense people tell you. How do we know the difference? Easy: Science.

It is always the people that talk about having "an open mind" that seem to lack any argumentation or proof for what they believe in.

Quote:
And mine opinion is that the climate hype will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof and the burden of proof is for whoever goes against the vast majority of scientists. And btw, these scientists are doing quite a good job of proving anthropomorphic global warming. Still, some people prefer to believe a weather man over two million scientists. Go figure...

You are probably an Alex Jones fan, right?

Quote:
Thats why many, many amsterdam people agreed with Foxnews.
Its a big mess in amsterdam.
Rubbish. The more educated people that look at real statistics know this isn't true. Of course the populist media like to focus on sensation more than the positive stories so people get a skewed view.

"Granny walked home safely and was politely greeted by teenager" doesn't make headline news.

Alistair
Old 23rd November 2009
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
May I ask where you are living Tropicana. And of course the source of the claim that many people in amsterdam agree with foxnews would be helpfull.
I am original from Amsterdam.

I know many people here from famous to not famous, owners of shops etc. and they all say the same thing. This city is going down because of a lot of corruption from the left wing society. I know a guy who was indicted for money laundry in a show trial but finally he could proof that justice manipulated the facts. This is something what is happening a lot in Holland.
And even now he has to fight to our Mayor Cohen to keep his companies because of a very strange law that says that if they think you are dealing with criminals you cannot open for example a horeca place.
What is happening is that some socialist politicians are trying to get the real estate to make nice deals so they make a lot of money.

A couple of months ago the socialists came with a law that said that you are not aloud to stand up on a terras to drink a beer. If you do then the owner have to pay a huge penalty. They even have people to control all this. They are in car with binoculars and make a picture to proof that the customer stand up.

Here some links about the foxstuff. There are many more but this is what i could find for now.
GeenStijl : Amsterdam ten dode opgeschreven

GeenStijl : Gemeenteraad 020 tegen Foxnews

This is from a site who is fighting against the leftwing media, who is for a very long time in the majority. Most of the media in Holland are manipulating the people just like the old communist country's. They are telling many lies and demonizing people who dont agree with them. Sounds maybe strange but not if you know that they get hundreds of milions from the government to make their tv programs.

Its the same thing with the climate hype. They dont care about the pollution. They just want another excuse to get your money out of the pocket.
The solutions of windenergie for example is totally crazy. The people who have an interest in it come with bull**** stories and the fools are following it without any check if it is true what they say.
There are more anti al gore scientists then pro al gore. They proofed many times that he is totally wrong and that he is hiding facts so he can make his money out of it.
Here one of the facts zbout alaska: www.dumpert.nl - Prof. Begemann: "Ik geloof niet dat er een klimaatcrisis is"
This is from professor Begemann.

Here another fact:www.dumpert.nl - Staatssecretaris Timmermans snapt er niks van
This is from scientists who are saying that this politician is talking totally bull**** about the climate.
There are so many facts that this is why mine opinion is that this will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #73
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I don't know. I find that intolerance for utter non-sense is a good attribute.



Tropicana, you are the one that believes in conspiracy theories as you clearly demonstrate in this very post I am responding to.



Thought so.



You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Nor should you believe the populist media and politicians. Here are some real facts:

Amsterdam.nl - Criminaliteit gedaald; overlastcijfers gestegen
Criminaliteit in Amsterdam-Amstelland in 2008 opnieuw verder gedaald

Btw, having an open mind does not mean being gullible and believing any old non-sense people tell you. How do we know the difference? Easy: Science.

It is always the people that talk about having "an open mind" that seem to lack any argumentation or proof for what they believe in.



Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof and the burden of proof is for whoever goes against the vast majority of scientists. And btw, these scientists are doing quite a good job of proving anthropomorphic global warming. Still, some people prefer to believe a weather man over two million scientists. Go figure...

You are probably an Alex Jones fan, right?



Rubbish. The more educated people that look at real statistics know this isn't true. Of course the populist media like to focus on sensation more than the positive stories so people get a skewed view.

"Granny walked home safely and was politely greeted by teenager" doesn't make headline news.

Alistair
Why only the telegraaf and not the volkskrant or nrc handelsblad? I dont like this way of thinking. Its very arrogant to talk like this.
This is my last response to you because now you come with populism and other dogma's. The vast majority of scientists do not agree with the al gore types.
Only the ones who are on the payroll of these kind of creepy guys and governments talk this kind of bull.
Have a nice evening.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #74
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Good stuff! What as asshole he is, example #3145.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #75
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
I am original from Amsterdam.

I know many people here from famous to not famous, owners of shops etc. and they all say the same thing. This city is going down because of a lot of corruption from the left wing society.
I see you are a man of humor. Great joke Tropicana.

Quote:
I know a guy who was indicted for money laundry in a show trial but finally he could proof that justice manipulated the facts. This is something what is happening a lot in Holland.
And even now he has to fight to our Mayor Cohen to keep his companies because of a very strange law that says that if they think you are dealing with criminals you cannot open for example a horeca place.
Seems like a good law to me. But hey, you are the one supporting Fox news. They claim that Amsterdam is too liberal yet here you are complaining about too strict laws. Peculiar.

Quote:
What is happening is that some socialist politicians are trying to get the real estate to make nice deals so they make a lot of money.
Really? Or maybe your friend's story is a bit doubtful. I can't tell but either way, anecdotal evidence like this is meaningless.

Quote:
A couple of months ago the socialists came with a law that said that you are not aloud to stand up on a terras to drink a beer.
You are misinformed. These laws, which apply in every town in the Netherlands, date back to the nineties. People are still allowed to drink standing on the terrass of the pub, they are not allowed to do it outside of the terrass perimeter. That is of course very hard for the pub owner to enforce so the law is a bit silly.

The only thing that happened is that some silly local civil servants (not even the whole of Amsterdam) suddenly decided to apply these old laws.

I wouldn't exactly call this an example of drugs, prostitution and corruption. More a bunch of small minded and incompetent civil servants. Nothing new there.

Quote:
If you do then the owner have to pay a huge penalty. They even have people to control all this. They are in car with binoculars and make a picture to proof that the customer stand up.
For someone that claims to be so in touch with Amsterdam you are five months late. They are tolerating people drinking outside pubs since the beginning of August. Just as it was before July. (Or was it June?)

PAROOL: AMSTERDAM - Staand je biertje drinken mag weer
Staand bier drinken voortaan gedoogd - Binnenland - de Volkskrant

Anyway, excuse my confusion but you are again complaining about rules when Fox news was calling Amsterdam too liberal. So you are actually not agreeing with Fox News at all.

Quote:
Here some links about the foxstuff. There are many more but this is what i could find for now.
GeenStijl : Amsterdam ten dode opgeschreven

GeenStijl : Gemeenteraad 020 tegen Foxnews
Geen Stijl? (No style) You must be joking.


Quote:
This is from a site who is fighting against the leftwing media, who is for a very long time in the majority.
The left-wing media are in the majority? Actually the so called left-wing are pretty right-wing but that is an entirely different discussion. But let me guess, you would vote PVV?

Quote:
Most of the media in Holland are manipulating the people just like the old communist country's. They are telling many lies and demonizing people who dont agree with them. Sounds maybe strange but not if you know that they get hundreds of milions from the government to make their tv programs.
You are hilarious but it is now seems more and more clear that you believe the non-sense that Geert Wilders shouts. (An extreme right-wing racist populist. A very dangerous man).

For anyone that might be interested, the three main TV channels in the Netherlands are state television so indeed they are heavily subsidized by tax money. Unfortunately this simple fact gets twisted by this populist and some people are uninformed, uneducated and naive enough to believe the lies.

Quote:
Its the same thing with the climate hype. They dont care about the pollution. They just want another excuse to get your money out of the pocket.
You completely failed to understand my previous joke, didn't you?

Quote:
The solutions of windenergie for example is totally crazy. The people who have an interest in it come with bull**** stories and the fools are following it without any check if it is true what they say.
I like your strong arguments based on facts and solid science.

Quote:
There are more anti al gore scientists then pro al gore. They proofed many times that he is totally wrong and that he is hiding facts so he can make his money out of it.
Al Gore? You are the first person to mention Al Gore. I think that the IPCC is the most authoritative body on climate change.

Quote:
Here one of the facts zbout alaska: www.dumpert.nl - Prof. Begemann: "Ik geloof niet dat er een klimaatcrisis is"
This is from professor Begemann.
Let's see. Prof. Ton Begemann. A light specialist. Let me rephrase that, a lighting specialist. As in Philips lighting. Riiiiiight. Obviously not the guy to ask about climate change. Just an amateur.

Quote:
Here another fact:www.dumpert.nl - Staatssecretaris Timmermans snapt er niks van This is from scientists who are saying that this politician is talking totally bull**** about the climate.
That was quite embarrassing, yes. Anyway, I don't get my climate information from politicians.

Quote:
There are so many facts that this is why mine opinion is that this will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
I like the way you present those so many facts.

Alistair
Old 23rd November 2009
  #76
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

I'll add to that - being a "professor " means absolutely sod all. It's a post of "head of research" in an academic environment. You don't have to have ANY formal qualification - it's a job title. Published experts under peer review WITH general agreement and doctorates carry FAR more weight. For example - Hawking is renowned because of two papers he published : Large scale structure of the universe and "singularities in collapsing stars - " [black holes]. He is NOT scientifically renowned because he happens to hold the Newton chair for mathematics in Cambridge .

When I did my doctorate my boss was a professor. Didn't know bugger all about the subject. I did. That is/was the point - he mentored me to provide his research group with valid papers... THAT is what a professor does. It does NOT make them an expert in a field - their them often is. That's what pisses me off about the media at large - they often go seeking the opinions of famous chairs and professorships - when the real experts are the post doctoral researchers with published and ratified papers. Not some job title with 31,000 fans.
Old 24th November 2009
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I think that most climate change 'sceptics' simply do not want to change their life style or buying habits, so it is more convenient to believe that climate change is a scam, or even worse a stupid conspiracy theory. Anyone dealing with high level business or politics would realise that they are not that cunning, and are just normal human beings trying to make a difference. The 'us' and 'them' mentality is a very simplistic way of viewing the world.

Reducing pollution can only be a good thing regardless if carbon is warming the planet or not. Wind and Solar power creates much less environmental destruction than mining for coal. I want my children to enjoy rain forests without extinction of many unique species. The list goes on...

So I applaud Wim for making a difference. If people did that instead of waiting for politicians the world would be a much better place. Think global act local.
Old 24th November 2009
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Not wanting to get into too many details here either, suffice to say:

- energy conservation & efficiency just makes sense, and goes from costing nothing to saving $.
- unlike nuclear, renewables are not proven direct terrorist targets or linked with the still-present 23,000+ thermonuclear WMDs (a fraction of which also risks climate change in just hours)
- according to the IEA around 2/3 of GHG emissions (which in climate science is the unit C02-e, not CO2) don't even come from generating electricity – so there can be no single solution.
- even if emissions are not increasing, natural carbon "sinks" are decreasing = imbalance, and at an accelerating rate, causing runaway "feedbacks".
- this is a scientific issue so I'd encourage reading about aspects of the full science that sadly don't make the cut for mainstream media or even Gore's film:
Climate change: A guide for the perplexed - New Scientist
Facts and fictions about climate change - The Royal Society
Old 24th November 2009
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Frankly I'd take the look of a wind turbine at everyone's home as opposed to all the ugly wires and poles we have strung though this beautiful land...
Huge wind turbine farms in West Texas generating enough power for hundreds of thousands of homes:

Wind power in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roscoe Wind Farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wind farms require no water and generate no carbon dioxide

'course it takes lots of wide open space on the windy plains, alters the beauty of the horizon & sunsets, and can make life hazardous for ducks, geese, and other winged critters...

But imo a great idea.

Curious if solar power keep your power amps and HVAC running year round?

Here in central Tejas we had one of the hottest summers on record this year, 90 days of 100+ (F) temperatures, with nary a drop of rain. Life in the studio would be impossible without air conditioning.

Cheers - JT
Old 24th November 2009
  #80
Lives for gear
 
just.sounds's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
I am original from Amsterdam.
Goedemorgen, ik kom uit Weesp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
I know many people here from famous to not famous, owners of shops etc. and they all say the same thing. This city is going down because of a lot of corruption from the left wing society.
Of course the city is going down from corruption it never goes up because of that, the question is how much compared to other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post

I know a guy who was indicted for money laundry in a show trial but finally he could proof that justice manipulated the facts. This is something what is happening a lot in Holland.
And even now he has to fight to our Mayor Cohen to keep his companies because of a very strange law that says that if they think you are dealing with criminals you cannot open for example a horeca place.
What is happening is that some socialist politicians are trying to get the real estate to make nice deals so they make a lot of money.

A couple of months ago the socialists came with a law that said that you are not aloud to stand up on a terras to drink a beer. If you do then the owner have to pay a huge penalty. They even have people to control all this. They are in car with binoculars and make a picture to proof that the customer stand up.

Here some links about the foxstuff. There are many more but this is what i could find for now.
GeenStijl : Amsterdam ten dode opgeschreven
I'm sorry but your problem is that the goverment of Amsterdam is trying to regulate and control the porn/sex industry in Amsterdam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana View Post
GeenStijl : Gemeenteraad 020 tegen Foxnews

This is from a site who is fighting against the leftwing media, who is for a very long time in the majority. Most of the media in Holland are manipulating the people just like the old communist country's. They are telling many lies and demonizing people who dont agree with them. Sounds maybe strange but not if you know that they get hundreds of milions from the government to make their tv programs.

Its the same thing with the climate hype. They dont care about the pollution. They just want another excuse to get your money out of the pocket.
The solutions of windenergie for example is totally crazy. The people who have an interest in it come with bull**** stories and the fools are following it without any check if it is true what they say.
There are more anti al gore scientists then pro al gore. They proofed many times that he is totally wrong and that he is hiding facts so he can make his money out of it.
Here one of the facts zbout alaska: www.dumpert.nl - Prof. Begemann: "Ik geloof niet dat er een klimaatcrisis is"
This is from professor Begemann.

Here another fact:www.dumpert.nl - Staatssecretaris Timmermans snapt er niks van
This is from scientists who are saying that this politician is talking totally bull**** about the climate.
There are so many facts that this is why mine opinion is that this will be the biggest fraud after the crisis.
You can look at it from different standpoints and the climate change could be happening because of co2 or not i'm not qualified to say anything about this.

But I can say that at the moment we are using more (fossil)energy than we produce(organic materials) and that is always a an ending road. We depend on oil and gas. And IMHO we must make a start to stop to depend on oil and gas because otherwise we will have an economical and food (artificial fertilizers are also made with fossil fuels) crisis at some point. The way to not depend on fossil fuels cannot be at the cost of food production in a growing world population. We need it all in the future.

So the solution IMHO lies in nuclear energy, wind energy, solar energy, bio-gas made out of not eatable organic waste (cowdung for instance) water power energy and others. Left wing or Right wing I think you cannot close your eyes for what is happening you can't spend more than you make at some point. (economical crisis?!)

Nuclear energy would be my least preferable option because of possible health risk and because being an easy target for terrorism to demobilise a country. So local energy production and independence of the "grid" is not a bad thing to say the least.

Kind regards

Boy Griffioen
Old 24th November 2009
  #81
Lives for gear
 
just.sounds's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post

Curious if solar power keep your power amps and HVAC running year round?

Here in central Tejas we had one of the hottest summers on record this year, 90 days of 100+ (F) temperatures, with nary a drop of rain. Life in the studio would be impossible without air conditioning.

Cheers - JT
It can be done but a cheaper option for cooling is to make use of a heat pump. It makes use of the cooler temperature of the soil and pumps cool water trough tubes in the wall to cool.
Old 24th November 2009
  #82
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Not wanting to get into too many details here either, suffice to say:

- energy conservation & efficiency just makes sense, and goes from costing nothing to saving $.
- unlike nuclear, renewables are not proven direct terrorist targets or linked with the still-present 23,000+ thermonuclear WMDs (a fraction of which also risks climate change in just hours)
- according to the IEA around 2/3 of GHG emissions (which in climate science is the unit C02-e, not CO2) don't even come from generating electricity – so there can be no single solution.
- even if emissions are not increasing, natural carbon "sinks" are decreasing = imbalance, and at an accelerating rate, causing runaway "feedbacks".
- this is a scientific issue so I'd encourage reading about aspects of the full science that sadly don't make the cut for mainstream media or even Gore's film:
Climate change: A guide for the perplexed - New Scientist
Facts and fictions about climate change - The Royal Society
good post.
Old 24th November 2009
  #83
Lives for gear
 
William Bowden's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Had my first shower from our newly installed heat pump system today - works like a charm!!

This has been an enlightening thread for GS I think, makes you stop and think about all those gear recommendations. Would you buy a compressor from a guy who believes in conspiracy theories and that global warming is a fraud...

He might still have good ears though, and mad people often make the best music!

I do think it's funny though that some people doubt scientists in general, but happily use a computer to post anti-scientific nonsense on the internet, use search engines to find the kind of 'data' that selectively backs up their views (usually an opinion from another scientist), and espouse 'theories' based on luddite style gossip 'principles'. Then again what else can a throwback do with his time in the modern age...

So far we haven't had any 'quantum energy vibrations' pseudoscience, or 'chakra realignment of gaia' or the old chestnut that 'the earth is losing oxygen at an alarming rate' yet. But I remain hopeful that some character with his exotic rainforest-timber E meter will try to save us all.

The King
Old 24th November 2009
  #84
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
BACK ON TOPIC

We have been doing lots to "GO GREEN"

We are currently working with our local investor owned electric company and besides going green they have helped us save some money.

They offered a free energy audit which we did. They came out and looked at our studio and checked many things including thermally scanning the entire structure for heat losses and checking the amount of air infiltration that we had by putting a evacuation fan in our doorway and checking the entire studio for air leaks. They wrote up all their findings and presented us with some suggestions that were prioritized from the most urgent to as needed.

Following their suggestions we had new windows installed, we plugged up all existing air leaks, we had the studio insulated and new siding put on. We also upgraded our heating and AC systems. We also upgraded our lights to CFLs or LEDs and tried to replace older equipment with more energy efficient versions. The changes helped. When we moved into our studio in 1977 we were paying about $75.00 per month for gas we are now paying about $57.00 per month. Our electric bills have come down considerably and the whole operation is more energy efficient and comfortable. This is not pie in the sky this is here and now.

Currently we are looking into some roof mounted solar cells but I am told that in Northern Ohio we may not be looking at generating much electricity especially in the winter. I will have to do some cost analysis and see if it is really worth it.

It has cost us some money to do all of this but I have calculated that within 10 years the costs will be paid back and we will be saving even more as the costs of gas and electric continue to rise.

The survey and studio checkout did not cost us anything but the savings are real. Much of the information the electric company provided was well reasoned and thoughtful and they have come back three additional times to do checkouts and to confirm that what we have done is working and working well.

Good topic but the Global Warming debate has somewhat sidetracked the OP's question.
Old 24th November 2009
  #85
Lives for gear
 
da goose's Avatar
Good to see that the topic is back to where it started!

I have 2 big chandeliers with 12 lamps in total of 25 watt = 300 watt in total.
The lamps have been replaced by led lights (11 euro's a piece) of 1.2 watt each so no the total = 14,4 watt! This means that the total of all ledlamps is even less then 1 lamp.
Besides that i had to replace the lamps quite often because they seem burn down after about a year, the led lamps should last 20 years (we'll see)
The led lights are just a little less 'warm' when it comes to the color of the lightning and look a bit less retro then the regular lamps but it saves a LOT!
So i'm basically saving 285,6 watts on just the chandeliers now!

I also dropped the 'regular' windows data server some time ago, i think it used about 250 watt and was (ofcourse) online 24/7. I replaced it with a synology diskstation ds209 which is a NAS with 1gb connection and 2x 1tb raid1 eco disks running at 5400rpm and i think (not sure) it uses about 25 watt in use and when the disks go in standby even less.
And in practice it's even faster then the windows server i had. so again i'm saving about 225 watt.

If you take a look around in your own studio you can do a LOT when it comes to energysaving and it will also save you a lot of money!
Old 25th November 2009
  #86
Lives for gear
 

EDIT: aww crap.. sorry for derailing the topic again. Taking it to private messages. Sorry!

Cheers!
bManic
Old 25th November 2009
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Do the Hypex Amps (or class D) use less power than Class A? I imagine they would.
Old 25th November 2009
  #88
Lives for gear
 
dcollins's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Do the Hypex Amps (or class D) use less power than Class A? I imagine they would.
Much less.

The Hypex is roughly 90% efficient, class A more like 25%.


DC
Old 27th November 2009
  #89
Lives for gear
 
OliverV's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd View Post
You'd have to cover most of London in solar panels to power a building the size of Abbey Road.
I like the concept though, well done for going for it
Have a look at The Premises. Studio A is entirely solar powered. SSL / 700sq ft live room / ATC monitors etc. It can be done...

The Premises Rehearsal and Recording Studios, London

Old 27th November 2009
  #90
Lives for gear
 
inlinenl's Avatar
 

Verified Member
very interesting, but also a bit confusing as they say :

The 18 solar panels are said to generate enough electricity to power The Premises' guitars, amplifiers and microphones all year round. ( bbc-link )

I think they need some more pannels to run the complex fully on solar ...
but it's a great start I think ...
I wish I had those panels some feet above my head ...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jenkel16 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
71
whereisbkp / So much gear, so little time
6
Bhang / Geekslutz forum
2
marcin / So much gear, so little time
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump