The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
lots of noise in a track to be mastered !!
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

lots of noise in a track to be mastered !!

hey guys.. i desperately need help with this...
i recently started recording live shows for sum of the local bands i know..
i have a presonus fp10 but cant hook it up to my laptop coz i dun hv a firewire port.. so i used my frinds M-audio Mobile Pre to record straight out of the main mix from the P.A.

i did 1 gig very sucessfully.. and even though the mix had TOOO much vocals n less everything lse i could fix.. obv der was sum clipping which i sucessfully removed with the help of waves X-Click [thankx a lot waves]..

neways i went to record another gig this time with bigger bands.. but this time the tracks have a looooot of noise especially in the bass.. even x-click + x-crackle at extreeme settings cant remove it..

any help will be really appreciated.. if i can produce a decent master on these it will be a big jump for my career as its a very renowned local band..

thankx a lot... this is a link to a small clip of the file..
4shared.com - music and mp3 sharing - download Rosemary Live Clip.wav
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY clipping caused by improper gain structure. The top 10-20dB of information has been destroyed by an opamp stage (or several) by being hit with too high of a level. There's no way to bring back the missing information.

Sorry but there's really no way to even hide that kind of distortion.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There is no way that someone who spells like that can afford [edit: legit copies of] Waves plugins.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmchenry View Post
There is no way that someone who spells like that can afford [edit: legit copies of] Waves plugins.
Or know how to use them either
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY clipping caused by improper gain structure. The top 10-20dB of information has been destroyed by an opamp stage (or several) by being hit with too high of a level. There's no way to bring back the missing information.

Sorry but there's really no way to even hide that kind of distortion.
thankx for the reply... i also wanted to ask could a digital mixer play a role in the clippin ?? i made sure nothin was clipping wen i recorded through the M-audio... so the clips must hv taken place at the mixer... but do u think it could be coz of the A-D-A conversion ?? coz the mixer was digital.. so basicly analouge signal goes into the mixer gets converted to digital, gets converted to analouge again to my soundcard and gets converted to digital again.. could all this conversion be the cause of this clipping ???
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterizer View Post
Originally Posted by trmchenry
There is no way that someone who spells like that can afford [edit: legit copies of] Waves plugins

Or know how to use them either

how you can relate grammer or spelling errors to how much money i have and/or to my mastering capabilities is beyond me...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkaran_12 View Post
how you can relate grammer or spelling errors to how much money i have and/or to my mastering capabilities is beyond me...
I'm not saying anything of your abilities as an engineer but one could infer from your inability to properly gain stage a mixer as evidence enough that you have no business touching a mastering chain... just sayin'.

thumbsup Thumbs up!

Allright, I'm turning my trolling off for the night. </troll>
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

oh good.. in that case you would be happy to know i wasn't handling the mixer... the organizers had arranged for the sound guy.. i had no affiliation with the organizers whatsoever.. i am friends with the bands who were playing and recorded them as a favor... the only thing i was gonna do to the tracks was master them.. and i would like to add that i made sure that the signal does not clip in my soundcard or software and that i have ample of headroom...
taking this into consideration its safe to say that it was not my fault the recordings are clipping and i can also add with some confidence that if i were to be at the mixer i would have done a better job...
๐Ÿ“ Reply