The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B&W Matrix 3 Series 2
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

B&W Matrix 3 Series 2

Hi,

Finding it hard to get information on these speakers either here, Google or B&W's product archive.

Anybody have experience of them?
Quality?
Estimate going price?

Thanks,

John.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Verified Member
They had a very confusing bunch of names at one point... To clarify it a whisker, the 800 Matrix boxes were generally an 'emerald cut' low end cabinet with another small 'emerald' cut movable mid driver with a tweeter extending past the top of the mid assembly.

Such as:

Thought those were quite good - Used a set of 800 Matrix 802S3's for some time here.

The Matrix boxes were very 'traditional' looking rectangles with everything mounted on the same baffle.

Such as:

Didn't really like those much at all. That said, I didn't give them much of a chance either. Heard them, didn't like what I was hearing, didn't bother swapping amplifiers or what not...

Don't know if that helps any... I see the archive at B&W really has dried up.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickkk View Post
Hi,

Finding it hard to get information on these speakers either here, Google or B&W's product archive.

Anybody have experience of them?
Quality?
Estimate going price?

Thanks,

John.
Hi, here are scans of the brochure for the Matrix Series 2 thanks to steely

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ydzlx3xjyww/B&W Matrix S2.rar

I can't coment on the Martix 3 but I have owned Matrix 2 series 2 for 10 months now. They are Smaller than the Matrix 3 and are ported, I think the Matrix 3 is sealed.

I have found them a great all round speaker, a bit laid back and warm in the mids. The weakest part is probably the treble which is a bit dry, but not really harsh or hard to listen to. In fact these speakers sound great at higher volumes and the Matrix cabinet bracing works very well.

They do seem fussy about power, I tried a Cayin 220c (100w/chan solid state) which was harsh, course and brutish through them. Now I run an older Roksan Caspian (70w/chan SS) which sounds great, and have tried a friends Musical-Fidelity a300 (150w/chan SS) which really opened them up. Both the Mufi and the Roksan can sound a bit "thick" at times through the speakers so I am curious if an amp with a very high damping factor would be better

Not sure how all this applies to the 3 of course. The 2 usually goes for about $400 in canada and I think it is a steal for this kind of money., The 3 tends to be more expensive, lately have seen the 3's on the gon for $700-$1200 US.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks all for the info!
Old 5th December 2010
Here for the gear

B & W Matrix 3

Hello to all the members. I am new to this forum.
I have an answer for the posting about the B&W Matrix 3.
I have 2 pairs and I like them very much. Initially they were the prototype of the actual Matrix 800 Series. The boxes are very heavy, enclosed, and the drivers are of a very good quality. I had the in the same room with Matrix 802 and 803. Way behind the Matrix 3. 801 sound the same but are very big and you need a lot of room for them. I use them with 2 systems. Sansui BA5K, CA3K and Teac VRDS 25, and the 2nd McIntosh MC 2500, C28, Copland 288.
Paid $ 800.00 for one and $ 600.00 for the other. They are rare and most of the people I know do not want to sell them.They are not vented and could be used right against the wall.Very heavy.
Hope this help
http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med...e_l2_w0_h0.pdf
Old 5th December 2010
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Hi - this is a great link posted by Loji a few weeks ago: B&W Group North America Service & Support Homepage

It has all info (manuals, spec sheets, service manuals, parts lists, brochures) for practically all B&W speakers from the last few decades.

Matrix (all series) and all Matrix 800 series info is definately there.

All the best.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCola View Post
Hi - this is a great link posted by Loji a few weeks ago: B&W Group North America Service & Support Homepage

It has all info (manuals, spec sheets, service manuals, parts lists, brochures) for practically all B&W speakers from the last few decades.

Matrix (all series) and all Matrix 800 series info is definately there.
Perfect! Thanks a lot, I've been searching for my long lost documentation for the 805s.

r,
j,
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear